Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Inconsistency in shot volume with Crossland CC1
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Inconsistency in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
trayraynor
trayraynor
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Toastess TCP-713
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 7:19am
Subject: Inconsistency in shot volume with Crossland CC1

I'm looking for guidance on how to obtain consistent volume from the shots I pull.  I've had the Crossland CC1 for a little more than 2 weeks and over the last two days I've had challenges obtaining consistent volume shot-to-shot. Sometimes I get less than 1 oz., other times more than 2 oz. Here are the facts:

2 seconds pre-infusion
2 seceonds wait time
20 seconds pour time
temp: 205 F
tamp: 34.5 pounds (as measured on my bath scale)
coffee: Espresso Moto (Cafe Moto) ground by roaster for espresso (told them I have a CC1)
freshness of coffee: roasted May 27th; ground May 27th

I fill the portafilter basket and have the coffee form a little mound. I gently spread over the portafilter to ensure uniformity of the coverage, and gently scrape the excess coffee off, leveling with the portafilter basket. I then tamp (using the tamper included with the CC1) and do my best to press evenly (three fingers in a triangle pattern) until the tamper top is level with the portafilter basket. I've followed this process numerous times and believe that I'm applying the same, or nearly similar amount of pressure each time, and I'm not making any other changes to the parameters described above. Yet, the shot volume varies widely.

I would appreciate any insights, suggestions or corrections you may offer.

Thanks,

Ray
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 9:39am
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in shot volume with Crossland CC1

Impossible to pull good or consistent shots as your seeing with preground. Grounds are stale within 15 min. And even if they grind for espresso won't matter as the grinder is dialed in for their machines, not yours. Just as an example I pull about 1.7oz in 27-30 seconds timed after 1st drip (after preinfuse etc)

You need to get an espresso grinder, and a scale measuring to .1g otherwise just filling the basket your weight can be all over the place and cause more inconsistencies. I dose around 16-17g usually.
NightFlight

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: BDB920BSXL
Grinder: Ceado E37s
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 11:01am

CMIN is 100% correct. Grinder! Grinder! Grinder!

Coffee is a language in itself.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 11:35am

Part of the reason why we always emphasize the importance of the grinder.
trayraynor
trayraynor

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 12:52pm

Yes. My Baratza Vario is on order, I was hoping to dial in my shot setup, at least partially, while I'm waiting for the grinder to arrive. I guess I will sit and suffer through some pour over coffee until next week.

In the meantime, I guess I could use some schooling on the importance of using freshly ground beans, versus beans that were ground say two days earlier; is it the moisture content of the older (by one or two days) ground coffee has diminished so much that no matter how well someone doses, and applies the tamper, that the puck cannot achieve a sufficient density to result in the proper back pressure?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 12:55pm

A great read to start the journey  :)

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

12   EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 1:24pm

Another thing is, your coffee is only 2 daysish off the roast. I'd recommend about five days post roast for optimal flavor developement, and ease of pulling as an espresso. 1 or 2 days and I found I got all kinds of channelling problems - 5-7 days and it magically turned to great pours with the same technique.

If you have a bottomless portafilter, set your pour time to like 40 seconds, and  try to manually stop it at the blonding point. It might get messy if you have alot of channelling though.
BarryR

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 1:59pm

I'm not arguing the need to fresh grind but shouldn't coffee ground by the roaster for espresso at least be consistent?
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 6:28pm

I would bet they used a all-purpose bulk grinder, and not an espresso grinder as well. Despite how good some bulk grinders are, it is my impression that they are not designed for the specific character of the grind necessary in espresso.

To answer the question:
Is it fair to ask a barista to change a hopper, finish grinding out whats in the grinder, grind your beans, and then recalibrate their several thousand dollar machine just for a pound of coffee that will stale in a few minutes? Maybe if you slip them a twenty, share the wealth.
I think its convenient shops offer to grind your coffee, albeit not in your best interest, but courteous nonetheless. :3
trayraynor
trayraynor

Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 6:58am

SproBro Said:

Another thing is, your coffee is only 2 daysish off the roast. I'd recommend about five days post roast for optimal flavor developement, and ease of pulling as an espresso. 1 or 2 days and I found I got all kinds of channelling problems - 5-7 days and it magically turned to great pours with the same technique.

If you have a bottomless portafilter, set your pour time to like 40 seconds, and  try to manually stop it at the blonding point. It might get messy if you have alot of channelling though.

Posted May 29, 2014 link

The arrival of my grinder (Baratza Vario) is this coming week. Meanwhile, i've dropping by my local roastery, Cafe Moto, picking up frshly roasted beans and having them grind them for me. The grind occurs in the roasting plant and on Thursday of this week 8 asked them to grind one setting finer. Now, I'm getting far more consistent pours, and pretty good crema. I've also consistently dosed by volume, and that seems to contribute to the consistency.

I will roast the SM Espresso Monkey on Monday, the Vario arrives Wednesday, so Thurdsay am (four days post roasting) I'll grind my first batch for a test and I'll post the results here.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Inconsistency in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351571083069)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+