Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Resettable boiler themal breaker/fuse - trips every 2-4 weeks?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Resettable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
livin
livin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millinum
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: French Press!
Drip: people drink this?
Roaster: Riviera Coffee, Chandler AZ
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 8:37am
Subject: Resettable boiler themal breaker/fuse - trips every 2-4 weeks?

I have an Isomac Millennium HX machine. Works well but been battling a strange issue...

Approx every 2-4 weeks, the resettable themal breaker (mounted to the side of the boiler) gets trips/opens - thus no electricity flows to the heating element.

To get it working again I open the machine and push the button back in and all is well for another few weeks.

I bought a new thermal fuse (resettable) and controller box from Stefano - this is when the issue started.   Both my new, and old, thermal breaker trip for no apparent reason.
... I cannot image the new controller box is the problem?

To clarify -  the machine works perfectly fine but then some random morning I wake up to find the machine stone cold - when it was just working fine the night before.

I really don't want to bypass the breaker but I'm getting tired of opening the machine every 2 weeks.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks for the help!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 9:59am
Subject: Re: Resettable boiler themal breaker/fuse - trips every 2-4 weeks?

Find out what your peak boiler temperature actually is and then find out what the threshold setting is for your hi-limit thermostat. It's designed to shut off the element if the water level drops below the element and it overheats. If this isn't happening (check your water level when the thermostat is tripped) then the threshold setting for the thermostat is too low.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 10:18am

Have you changed how you place items on top of the machine at all recently?  

I noticed on my old NS Oscar that if I put too many covers over the top of the vent holes I have tripped the thermostat sensor.  Typically when I did that there was a steam cloth sitting over the vent on the right side of the machine that must have raised the temp just enough to trip the sensor.  If I kept the vent clear of major obstructions I could run it all day long in a 95F kitchen with no issues.
livin
livin

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 1:00pm

I have not changed anything for placement/panels/etc... and water level in the holder this morning was 25-30% full this morning when I found it on and stone cold. No idea what the internal boiler level is but I've had not problems with it refilling. All I did was pull off the side panel and reset the thermal breaker.

Most of the time it runs fine and the pressure is as expected... over a year ago I actually lowered the pressure to under 1 bar to reduce the cooling flush so it should be no where near max temp.

Right now the unit has been on for 4 hours (side panel off so it would likely get a bit hotter with it on)... boiler external temp reads 250F / 121C using my multi-meter. I think this is well within spec of 167C

Could I have 2 faulty/damaged fuses that "stick" or something?  It is not easy to reset them... the center button is tough to reset but one it does it becomes easy to wiggle, just like when new.
DanoM

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 2:14pm

I wouldn't think that both your old and new thermosensors are faulty.  Something else is causing an issue here.

Have you done a boiler inspection to make sure it's not all scaled up?  These things do sometimes trigger with lots of scale in the boiler too.  I think Arizona has hard water - at least my aunt's place is pretty hard.
livin
livin

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 2:33pm

I use RO water and my boiler is spotless... looks brand new inside and out.
DanoM

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:09pm

If I were you I'd contact Stefano and see if he has some hints.  He's seen may machines and many issues.  Perhaps he'll have a good answer?
NSElliIterator

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Ellimatic
Grinder: NS MDXA
Drip: Bodum
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:34pm

Is there any chance that your pressurestat is becoming intermittent?  Sticking closed every so often?
livin
livin

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:59pm

Seems like this happens only during a cold start. It never trips while in use.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 6:52pm

Using a multimeter with a resistance measurement up to the 20 million ohms range, measure resistance between the element terminals and the metal wall of the boiler.  If the element is shorted to ground through the water inside the boiler, there's always a slight path of conductivity. If the thermostats are controlling the neutral side of the circuit, then the live side is going to be constantly warming the boiler, very slightly, until the safety goes and saves you.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Resettable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326448917389)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+