Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I can't afford a real grinder..help please
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I can't afford a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hotdoc212

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 9:45am
Subject: I can't afford a real grinder..help please

Hi, I have a DeLonghi EC155 and a Hario mini mill. I heard about the mod to make the 155 unpressurized, but because I can't really afford a Baratza grinder...would I be better off keeping the machine pressurized? I'm worried that I won't be grinding fine enough. Also, is it possible to tamp too hard? My machine tends to choke a lot..Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 9:51am
Subject: Re: I can't afford a real grinder..help please

A pressurized portafilter should only be LIGHTLY tamped just enough to flatten the coffee. Over-tamping with a pressurized portafilter will casue choking.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hotdoc212

Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 9:52am

Oh okay. but as of right now I have it unpressurized and it keeps choking. I tried tamping lighter but the coffee came out weaker.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2014, 10:19am

hotdoc212 Said:

Oh okay. but as of right now I have it unpressurized and it keeps choking. I tried tamping lighter but the coffee came out weaker.

Posted June 17, 2014 link

Hario Mini can produce a lot of fines, and your pry too fine of a setting anyway hence choking. Back off a click or two, and play with dose to compensate. Example b/c of the wide steps you may find a click or two back will now produce gushers, keep that setting and play with up dosing (though may be hard as the baskets on the Delongi are really small). There's a step-less mod for the Skerton if you search on here, the same could be done for the Mini except I think you needed a different locknut?

That's your only choice right now. What beans are you using? Fresh roasted is best even if using the machine pressurized, store bought crap is stale/nasty. I have a Hario Mini more for traveling for coarse use, I used it when I started on a Bar32 (same as EC155) and played with it on my CC1, it can work, but the shots will spritz a lot etc.... my Preciso is far better.

Don't be surprised if the machine works better pressurized with the Hario vs unpressurized especially if your not using good beans.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:47am

Stick to the tamp pressure you find most comfortable and consistent.  I find adjusting the grind is FAR more accurate than trying to adjust my tamp to get a good shot.   Also in my experience, light tamps were terribly inconsistent with the Hario Mini Mill.
hotdoc212

Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 3:11pm

If I made a video of my extraction would you guys be willing to point out anything obvious? I really need help. I'm using freshly roasted beans (5 days old as of now) from a local vendor. Thanks
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2014, 3:59pm

We can see, you don't have a bottomless, but it'll be pretty easy to see by how fast the shot glass fills up and the color of the streams. Upload to Youtube and link here
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I can't afford a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302567005157)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+