Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Newer V2Bs: Do they have the cavitation issue?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newer V2Bs: Do...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 9:07am
Subject: Newer V2Bs: Do they have the cavitation issue?

Just wondering?? One of my big disappointments in this product was that there was no serious effort from QM or the distributor to solve this issue.  I wonder if it was solved in later versions and how they fixed it. I have to deal with this issue almost every day and I don't think I should have to be dealing with it.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 1:45pm
Subject: Re: Newer V2Bs: Do they have the cavitation issue?

DeanOK Said:

Just wondering?? One of my big disappointments in this product was that there was no serious effort from QM or the distributor to solve this issue.  I wonder if it was solved in later versions and how they fixed it. I have to deal with this issue almost every day and I don't think I should have to be dealing with it.

Posted June 22, 2014 link

UK ones definitely don't dean, I think the slightly higher pump speeds of the US variants have just found the tipping point. I advised QM to increase the feed-pipe sizes to the low pressure side of the pump which should resolve the issue.

Something you could try is to take the mains plumbing tube and place it into a bottle of water on the counter....use it from the bottle for a few days and see if the problem goes away. if it does then it indicates the path from that fitting is of sufficient size to prevent any cavitation, this might mean simply increasing the feed tube size from the tank to the first fitting it comes to!

Dave
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 2:02pm

DavecUK Said:

UK ones definitely don't dean, I think the slightly higher pump speeds of the US variants have just found the tipping point. I advised QM to increase the feed-pipe sizes to the low pressure side of the pump which should resolve the issue.

Something you could try is to take the mains plumbing tube and place it into a bottle of water on the counter....use it from the bottle for a few days and see if the problem goes away. if it does then it indicates the path from that fitting is of sufficient size to prevent any cavitation, this might mean simply increasing the feed tube size from the tank to the first fitting it comes to!

Dave

Thank you.... I will tell you why I am not sure I agree with you, but I don't want to appear to be challenging you because I really do not know the answer.

The reason I am not sure a larger tube will fix the issue (for me) is because air forms at the highest point in my pickup tube when the unit sits for several hours. It is also important for you to know that I leave my unit on 24/7 and the heat may be adding to my issue. At any rate, the air that is formed and rises to the top of the tank pickup tube is the air that I think is sucked into the pump and causes the issue. It may not even be fair to say it is cavitation specifically because technically it is a pump with air in it if my theory is correct.  Also, I have checked and there is no leakage of any of the tubing. I have attached a photo to this post of the air that forms in the pickup tube. The air in the tube is actually much more than the air that is photo when it sits for several hours.

I do understand how a larger tube could help solve cavitation, but I am not sure it will help much if air is actually drawn into the pump.

With all that said, I probably could solve my particular issue entirely by plumbing it in. While it is easy for me to get water to my unit, I don't want to make modification in my kitchen cabinetry because my long term plans are not to leave the machine where it is now.

What I do now is turn the main valve on without the PF in place until pump pressure comes up. If the machine has been used in the last hour or so, the pump pressure will come up immediately. If it has been sitting for 6 to 8 hours or longer, there is quite a delay in the pump pressure coming up while the pump struggles to prime itself. Also, if I were to go by every hour or two and run a small amount of water through the brew head, the pump would prime immediately every time and it would never have the cavitation issue.

DeanOK: V2V_bubbles_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
DavecUK

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 4:11pm

DeanOK Said:

Thank you.... I will tell you why I am not sure I agree with you, but I don't want to appear to be challenging you because I really do not know the answer.

The reason I am not sure a larger tube will fix the issue (for me) is because air forms at the highest point in my pickup tube when the unit sits for several hours. It is also important for you to know that I leave my unit on 24/7 and the heat may be adding to my issue. At any rate, the air that is formed and rises to the top of the tank pickup tube is the air that I think is sucked into the pump and causes the issue. It may not even be fair to say it is cavitation specifically because technically it is a pump with air in it if my theory is correct.  Also, I have checked and there is no leakage of any of the tubing. I have attached a photo to this post of the air that forms in the pickup tube. The air in the tube is actually much more than the air that is photo when it sits for several hours.

I do understand how a larger tube could help solve cavitation, but I am not sure it will help much if air is actually drawn into the pump.

The air must be coming from the anti backflow valve...remove, clean, check, refit.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 4:28pm

DavecUK Said:

The air must be coming from the anti backflow valve...remove, clean, check, refit.

Where is it? I don't recall a backflow valve or check valve ever being mentioned on this model.
sharky
sharky

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2014, 9:06pm

Dean, I have the same (cavitation) issue every once in a while.  I have mine on a timer so it is all warmed up when I wake up.  I only have the brew group switch on & if I lift up on the lever and it growls, I push it back down immediately & re-lift it again.  The growl is gone and I dispense some water through the group, flip on the boiler switch and 10 minutes later I am ready to make my latte.  Why does it do the cavitation thing . . . I don't know.  It doesn't do it every time and others have said it is not harmful so I am not going to worry about it!  I love my Vetrano 2B and it makes amazing espresso!  The growl sound isn't a big deal for me so I live with it . . .
DavecUK

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 3:09am

Mine is here

DavecUK: abvalve.JPG
(Click for larger image)
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 8:42am

It's funny how random this is. Mine didn't do it for the first month plus of ownership, then did it about 30-40% of the time for many months. About a week ago I thought "wow I haven't heard the cavitation in quite a while" meaning maybe up to a month or more. Then it happened. :( Off an on again in the last week, about 1/3 of the time.

On a side note, I've always had some spritzers and channeling out of my bottomless portafilter, using an 18g VST ridgeless basket, even after doing the WDT. Much less than with my old Rancilio Silvia, but still enough so that I don't leave the cup sitting on the reservoir screen when I draw a shot because I don't want the spritzing to go outside of the cup, I hold it up right under the portafilter.

Well I read somewhere (maybe a post here?) that sometimes the shape of the tamper may make a difference, and that ideally it should be the same shape as the bottom of your shower screen. I have a convex tamper and looking at the bottom of the VST, it's pretty close to flat. So yesterday while at Intelligentsia I bought a Reg Barber tamper with a flat base.

This morning I used it for the first time, did the WDT, and for my first double shot, zero channeling/spritzing. No other changes, the beans were the same as yesterday, and the grind and dosing were unchanged. For the first time in memory, the sides of the cup were unbroken white, not dotted with coffee spray. Of course this is just the first time, the key will be repeatability, but if it holds, then I'll be darned...the tamper base shape does make a difference!
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2014, 6:01pm
Subject: Feedback on Dave'suggestion - Re: Newer V2Bs: Do they have the cavitation issue?

DavecUK Said:

Dave

I did the experiment - connected the external water feed to the machine and feed water from the bottle. Still cavitates.

I admit, I have not opened the machine to look, but hope someone knows off the top of their head - what is the fluid o'tech model pump is used in V2B?

Thanks
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newer V2Bs: Do...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.408085107803)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+