Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
need help identifying an older faema espresso machine
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
PaulTheRoaster
PaulTheRoaster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema C84 A/1, Eterna leva...
Grinder: Compak K6, Solis Classic
Drip: French Press, Swiss Gold...
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Tue Mar 14, 2006, 9:25pm
Subject: Re: need help identifying an older faema espresso machine

gucciago Said:

Ziggy, I too just got ahold of a FAEMA C85 Compact Series S/1 ( Mr.Espresso ) and I do not have any manuals.. is it too much to ask maybe to shoot me a copy of that manual??

Posted March 14, 2006 link

So you won that auction ...

Check out http://iacoma.cs.uiuc.edu/~paulsack/faema_manuals/

Great machine. I just finished rebuilding mine (C84 A/1, but looks the same). $499 may be a good deal if the machine is in good condition. I paid $355 for the machine, and much more than that so far on shipping and parts. I had to replace the heating element and the machine was entirely missing the steam pipe, cup grate and two knobs. Included a plastic tamper of course. Included several pounds of scale as well. Scale all the way up to the water inlet to the machine.

It's not documented, and it was a royal PITA to figure this out, so I'll put this out there--there are two valves you have to set, the pump bypass valve (that sets the pressure during a shot), and the expansion valve.

The expansion valve is in the big complicated "group valve" at the front of the machine. It's used in the situation where cold water enters the HX, heats up, expands, and has nowhere to go. You want to set this high. I've read 15 bar, but my gauge doesn't go that high. I set it around 12. It doesn't make much difference I think, as long as it doesn't open during a shot.

To do this, set the pump bypass valve as high as it will go (screw in the nut all the way). Then set the expansion valve with a portafilter pressure gauge. Then go back and set the bypass valve to 9 bar or so.

Has anyone figured out how to set the steel screw that goes into the group valve? It seems to restrict the rate at which the boiler will fill. My group valve is leaking a bit in the vicinity of this screw when I turn off the machine and it cools down, and only then. Does the one have anything to do with the other?

(It's only maybe 20 mls of water each time I turn off the machine, so I'm not too concerned about it, but in the long term it could be bad.)

Other than the group valve I've found the machine very easy to work on and understand. Enjoy it.

Cheers,
-Paul
 View Profile Link to this post
gucciago
gucciago
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: 07 La Marzocco Linea...
Grinder: MAZZER Major with doser
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: Custom Gas Drum Roaster/PID...
Posted Wed Mar 15, 2006, 4:56am

Im sure hoping it is in good condition! lol the auction said it was in excellent working condition..I have worked on my Silvia and Pasquini Livia a little and hope that I do not need to do much with this.. but when I watched my Livia go ( sold it to  a friendwho was aching for a decent espresso machine) I meant to replace it but then made a major life change and moved to South Florida next to the ocean.. ahh.... anyway.. it just never was the same witout a great espresso with my home roasted beans .... I have a ROCKY grinder with doser and a few other machines coffee related I might sell on ebay as now I will not need them.. I picked up a little Krups pump driven GUSTO which works ok for Americanos nad decent small drinkable shots (especially since I have great, fresh, beans... but NOW IM BACK!! real meachine.. just hope it is not a REAL PAIN in the %^&&*!! lol

Dennis
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
semyorka

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Oct 4, 2009, 2:13pm

Got myself a Faema Compact S as well - all working but needs some tuning. Has anyone got the manual for this machine?
gucciago
gucciago
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: 07 La Marzocco Linea...
Grinder: MAZZER Major with doser
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: Custom Gas Drum Roaster/PID...
Posted Sun Oct 4, 2009, 8:16pm

Ill check around... I restored one a few years ago and still use it to this day! works fantastic! Here is a quick page I setup with parts list and restoration pics...  http://web.me.com/dparham_is/Faema_Compact/Photos.html
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
semyorka

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:39pm

Nice photos. Thanks.

Next step is to order a new steam wand, insulate the boiler and bypass the water filter (is that the correct term?). Photos coming up!
AstoriaCK

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria CK
Grinder: Rossi RR45 - Faema A6
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:49pm

Hi MYHD,
i recently purshased a FAEMA A6 coffee grinder like you, do you know if parts are still available on some website.??
thanks!

AstoriaCK
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383695840836)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+