Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocky Doserless Spout Quick Release
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocky Doserless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
stash
stash
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Mon Sep 6, 2004, 9:04pm
Subject: Re: Rocky Doserless Spout Quick Release

Don98 Said:

I wanted to chime in here and thank clonegts.  I did this mod to my Rocky and it works like a charm.

Posted September 6, 2004 link

It does work like a charm, and that is why I now wish I had not gone ahead with the mod... because I now see just how much grind is left behind !!!  I swear there is almost enough wasted grinds there for a "single" shot.  And what a mess I create trying to get these trapped grinds out.  I think I was better off believing I was getting most of the grinds out with the old tap and pulse method.

The worst part is that after you clean out the removable rubber boot and the plastic chute leading up to the rubber boot, your next grind will fill in the "clean" space you just created and you will come up short in grind volume.  I estimate that after each cleaning, you will need to drop in more than 20 grams of beans to get 15 grams out.

Someone really needs to develop a completely "vertical" grinder with the motor at the top, then burrs below the motor, then a very short vertical shoot.  I don't see this as being too difficult except that the base will have to be fairly wide to keep the top heavy machine from tumbling over.  In fact, this machine already exists in the Zassenhaus grinders... the only catch is that the motor is your hand and arm cranking on the handle.
 View Profile Link to this post
Don98

Espresso: Isomac  Rituale
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Posted Tue Sep 7, 2004, 2:17pm

It is amazing how much is left behind.  I tend to add enough beans for the day and then clean out the shoot during my nightly cleaning ritual.  I am not going to worry to much about the grinds that may only be a couple hours old (although I know that may drive some folks crazy).
stash
stash

Posted Tue Sep 7, 2004, 7:56pm

Don98 Said:

It is amazing how much is left behind.  I tend to add enough beans for the day and then clean out the shoot during my nightly cleaning ritual.  I am not going to worry to much about the grinds that may only be a couple hours old (although I know that may drive some folks crazy).

Posted September 7, 2004 link

I tend to do the espresso routine only on weekends or special occasions, and than only once or twice a day... so the "left behind" grinds is a real nuisance for me.  I am also pretty much a neat freak, but don't want to have to clean the machine after each use (i.e. lazy).

The problem with Rocky and other commercial quality grinders (for home use) is that they really were not designed for home use.  If they were, I don't believe they would trap so much grinds.  These machines are designed for many uses during a day, and so trapped grinds would normally not be a big issue.

I am seriously considering purchasing and using a Zassenhaus hand grinder for my espresso shots.  However, I have read that it takes up to 15 minutes to grind for just one shot... yikes.  Maybe I can dismantle my Rocky, remove the motor, and mount it on top of the Zass in place of the hand crank ?!?!
Dodge1
Dodge1

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Wed Sep 8, 2004, 6:03am

I use a Zassenhaus each morning for my Capresso CoffeeTEC and it takes all of ~ 3 minutes.  However, you can motorize a Zass for chump change.

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
stash
stash

Posted Wed Sep 8, 2004, 4:12pm

Dodge1 Said:

I use a Zassenhaus each morning for my Capresso CoffeeTEC and it takes all of ~ 3 minutes.  However, you can motorize a Zass for chump change.

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

Posted September 8, 2004 link

Keith,

Thanks for the link.  That's awesome... I may just give it a try !!!
RLembke

Espresso: Briel Lido
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Bodum I and II
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Fri Sep 10, 2004, 7:36pm

Glad to see this is working for others....just a friendly bump hoping it catches someone else's eye.
snoboy

Espresso: famous Silvia... now PID
Grinder: modded Rocky SD
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:50pm

I was well into the following project when this thread started. I guess this one would have been easier, but I am pretty happy with what I came up with.

When I finish it up all the way (trim long part off front, round edges, polish etc) I will give it a thread of it's own with a bit more explanation, but I think it is pretty obvious how it works from the following pics, and I'm pretty excited about this as it just got finished. It was easily the most ambitious sheet metal project I've ever attempted.

snoboy: Rocky2 Open.jpg
(Click for larger image)
snoboy

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:52pm

Here it is closed, looks kinda stock, don't you think?

(Sorry about the bad pic.)

snoboy: Rocky3 Closed.jpg
(Click for larger image)
snoboy

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:54pm

One more closer in, showing the completely unrestricted access to the grind path.

A happy error in design causes the hinged top plate to bind on the rubber tube. Luckily it just fits,  it keeps the plate from rattling, and keeps it open while cleaning.

snoboy: Rocky1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
grillroaster
grillroaster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Technivorm CD, Melitta...
Roaster: Alpenrost, HWP & Alpen-Grill
Posted Sat Sep 25, 2004, 6:01am

Really enjoy these aftermarket Geek inventions.  Kudos to both of your creations!!

Rick
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocky Doserless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463939905167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+