Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocky Doserless Spout Quick Release
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocky Doserless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
RLembke

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Briel Lido
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Bodum I and II
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:00am
Subject: Rocky Doserless Spout Quick Release

First, thank you to everyone who contributes to this site so regularly and without too many "newbie" comments.  I've learned such a great deal from this website and forum in the past 4 months....thank you all!

Hopefully someone finds this useful and I can give a little something back.  When choosing the Rocky grinder, the debate raged over which was better, doser or DL.  One of the downsides people found with the DL was the snout that was so tough to get grinds out of easily.

Here's version 1.0 of a quick way to get to the grinds left in the chute of the Rocky DL either to get them into the PF or just for cleaning.  IMO, this is a much easier way to get the grinds out of your Rocky without beating on him.  The idea here was to have a way to get that spout off without using any tools in 5 seconds or less, all while leaving the aesthetics of the machine as close to stock as possible.  And of course, this is all reversible without any traces left behind.  

Now to the good stuff:

The parts list - I had to go to McMaster-Carr to get the proper parts for this.  Apparently, M4 Stainless threaded parts are not popular enough to be stocked in the major hardware stores around here.  Anyway, the parts with McMaster's part numbers:

Qty 2 - P/N 96445 A350 - M4 x .7 18-8 SS Round Knurled Thumb Nut
Qty 2 - P/N 93805 A259 - M4 x .7 18-8 SS Fully Threaded Stud 20mm length
A touch of Super Glue or Loctite optional

The simple install for this all to work:

1. Remove the standard screws and the spout. Thread in the threaded studs.  Replace the spout over the studs and thread the thumb nuts on.  You'll have to play with how far the studs stick out to make this as functional as possible.  I wanted just enough threads exposed so that the thumb nut would engage 2 full turns or so.  Too few and the nuts won't engage properly.  Too many and you spend too much time threading the nuts.  Obviously, there is not a great deal of torque involved here so # of threads engaged is not important.  Get the studs in the right position by trial and error.  You can look at the pictures below to see how far mine stick out.

2. Once the studs are threaded in the right distance, I decided to put just a drop of Super Glue on the thread near the case to keep it from unscrewing.  You can also use a small dab of Loctite or something similar.  Keep the drop small enough so that should you want to remove the stud, a simple twist with pliars will break the bond.  This may not be needed and some people may choose not to do this and that is just fine.  I wanted the studs secure so that wouldn't spin out with the nuts.  

3. Once in place, you're ready to go.  Master the technique of holding the spout against the grinder body with one hand (relieving the pressure applied by the rubber gasket piece) and spinning one of the nuts off with the other, then switch hands.  Use your favorite grind removal device to scoop those extra grinds out quickly and easily.

RLembke: Studs.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
RLembke

Posted Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:04am
Subject: Re: Rocky Doserless Spout Quick Release

The final appearance - pretty OEM looking IMO.

RLembke: Finished.JPG
(Click for larger image)
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Sat Aug 28, 2004, 10:39am

Excellent solution! I tried to come up with a reversable method of making the chute flip up on some sort of spring loaded hinge, but I didn't get very far. This is a much simpler and more elegant solution.

I think I'll give it a try, though I'll probably use Loctite. Thanks for listing the part numbers, that's a big help.

Very nice.

Joel
el_cabong
el_cabong

Posted Sat Aug 28, 2004, 11:11am

Thanks to clonegts' part numbers, I was able to make an order from McMaster-Carr in no time flat.

I also ordered the Loctite Green (290) which is removable with the aplication of heat. This should keep the studs from backing out, but should be reversable with a little effort. The McMaster part number for a .5ml capsule is 91458A92, and costs $1.46.

Thanks again clonegts!

Joel
RLembke

Posted Sat Aug 28, 2004, 4:06pm

Good deal, el_cabong.  Thanks for posting the part number for the Loctite.  I thought I had some laying around here and couldn't find any.  I don't think the Super Glue will in any way leave a problem behind but I too would have preferred to have used Loctite from the onset.

BTW....report back with how well those studs thread into your Rocky.  I know the M4 x .7 are the right size because the thumb nuts thread onto the stock screws perfectly but at the same time, the studs felt a little small when threaded into my housing.  The only thing I can figure is that the threads are put in by hand and are less than perfect...on my model anyway.

Rob
el_cabong
el_cabong

Posted Sun Aug 29, 2004, 1:09pm

I've noticed that the stock screws are a little loose as well. In fact, that is one of the reasons I try to limit how often I take the screws out, I am afraid repeated removal will eventually lead to stripping out the threads in the body of the grinder. That's also why I opted for a stronger version of Loctite, I really don't plan on taking the studs back out.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Joel
aeroplane
aeroplane

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 v2
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Bodum French press
Roaster: FreshRoast w/modified switch
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2004, 8:49am

Awsome idea! I will mod mine. Thanks!

--jim
stash
stash

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Wed Sep 1, 2004, 6:46pm

I did the mod and it seems to work.  I was a little skeptical about how well the little studs would hold in place, but so far Loctite (medium strength) seems to be holding them fairly securely.  If the Loctite loosens up, I may try some super glue or a permanent Loctite... but as a last resort.

I do have one additional suggestion.  Find some small washers to fit inside and fill up the complete depth of the counter-sunk holes on the spout.  If you don't do this, the little thumb nuts will not have much surface area to bare down on.
el_cabong
el_cabong

Posted Thu Sep 2, 2004, 7:03pm

I just got all my parts from McMaster the mod turned out pretty nice. No need to post pictures, mine turned out just like clonegt's, but I just wanted to bump this so others might see it.

This is a great mod because it requires little effort and cost, and takes care of the only problem I had with Rocky, cleaning the grinds chute.

Thanks again clonegt.

Joe
Don98

Espresso: Isomac  Rituale
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Posted Mon Sep 6, 2004, 1:36pm

I wanted to chime in here and thank clonegts.  I did this mod to my Rocky and it works like a charm.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocky Doserless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393604040146)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+