Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What's with the Wega Mini Nova?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's with the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
barikman
barikman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia TD 2 Group Commercial
Grinder: La Spaziale Lusso, Fracino...
Vac Pot: Cona, Santos
Drip: Swissgold individual cup
Roaster: Hottop (with variac!!) since...
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2003, 4:13pm
Subject: What's with the Wega Mini Nova?

Hi

Following up on another_jim's excellent advice recently I've been shortlisting dealers that I felt comfortable with as part of the selection process for the E61 machine I want to replace my La Pavoni Professional.

Then I made an interesting discovery. The Wega Mini Nova is no longer listed by some sites in the U.S. (although the Google listing of the relevant pages is still present). Those sites in the U.S. and the U.K. (where I am) that do list it seem to be discounting it heavily. I could get a plumbed rotary pump semi-auto version for GBP 821 whilst I'm being quoted GBP 1051 for the ECM Giotto and pretty much exactly the same for the Isomac Tea. All prices are on the same basis i.e. include U.K. VAT.

Does anyone know whether this machine is being discontinued, if Wega is going down the tubes or what? Sorry, but the above triggered my suspicious b*stard reflex. If neither of the above is true then this seems like one hell of a deal.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2003, 6:48pm
Subject: Re: What's with the Wega Mini Nova?

The Wega is considered a truely excellent machine, and the one with the rotary pump has always been though to be a cut above the Giotto/Tea/Livia style machines.

The recent deep discounting of these machines has been surprising, and I don't know the reason for it. It may simply be unpopularity and the rather steep price it had originally.

I'd be very curious to hear anything you find out.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
coffeejunkie
coffeejunkie
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Compak K10WBC, Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn NHBX
Roaster: Hearthware Precision, BBQ...
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:03am

I recently noticed that espressoparts.com is selling a rotarty version of the Wega Lyra.  My guess is this machine is going to be replacing the rotary mini nova. It's much better looking, all stainless, and I think it's listed at $1,599, which isn't much more than what the mini nova rotary was selling for.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
milnerb1

Espresso: Vivaldi II, Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Mulino
Roaster: Behmor 1600, BBQ drum,...
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2003, 2:12pm

coffeejunkie Said:

I recently noticed that espressoparts.com is selling a rotarty version of the Wega Lyra.  My guess is this machine is going to be replacing the rotary mini nova. It's much better looking, all stainless, and I think it's listed at $1,599, which isn't much more than what the mini nova rotary was selling for.

Posted February 26, 2003 link

I can confirm this, having recently been to espressoparts.com and talked with Terry.  The Lyra is really the replacement for the Mininova.  In fact, I believe he was sending his last Mininova out the day I chatted with him.  

Having seen the Lyra internals, I must say I was impressed with it.  It had some unique design characteristics as I recall (they may only be unique to the prosumer machine market though).  

As I recall, the most unique feature was that it had a 'split' boiler design and it was made of stainless steel.  I believe this is similar to a dual boiler. The only other machine that I'm aware of with a Stainless Steel boiler is the American-made Astra.

It also had a rotary pump that was adjutable.  The inner components were top quality (all copper lines, clean quality construction).

I'd be really interested to hear how this machine performs.
barikman
barikman

Espresso: Gaggia TD 2 Group Commercial
Grinder: La Spaziale Lusso, Fracino...
Vac Pot: Cona, Santos
Drip: Swissgold individual cup
Roaster: Hottop (with variac!!) since...
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2003, 4:25am

milnerb1 Said:

I can confirm this, having recently been to espressoparts.com and talked with Terry.  The Lyra is really the replacement for the Mininova.  In fact, I believe he was sending his last Mininova out the day I chatted with him.  

Posted February 26, 2003 link

That's interesting. If you look on the Wega web site there is no reference to a Lyra, but there is a machine called "Mininova inox 2002 " link which looks exactly like the pictures of the Lyra on the U.S. sites I've visited. To some extent then, this may be a re-branding exercise as well as a model update or replacement.

I have sent an email enquiry to the U.K. importer / reseller (Pennine Tea & Coffee) asking about the machine they're selling. While I wait for their reply, what's the general view on buying last year's model at a discount? Jim says that it's a great machine anyway, for me it's (relatively) cheap as well so I guess the issues would have to be long term parts availability and whether the newer machine is enough of a step forward to have a discernable and worthwhile effect on my shots. The aesthetics aren't that big an issue for me.

Any ideas, anyone?
milnerb1

Espresso: Vivaldi II, Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Mulino
Roaster: Behmor 1600, BBQ drum,...
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2003, 8:23am

barikman Said:

That's interesting. If you look on the Wega web site there is no reference to a Lyra, but there is a machine called "Mininova inox 2002 " link which looks exactly like the pictures of the Lyra on the U.S. sites I've visited. To some extent then, this may be a re-branding exercise as well as a model update or replacement.

...what's the general view on buying last year's model at a discount? ...I guess the issues would have to be long term parts availability and whether the newer machine is enough of a step forward to have a discernable and worthwhile effect on my shots. The aesthetics aren't that big an issue for me.

Any ideas, anyone?

Posted February 27, 2003 link

I would suspect that the machine on the WEGA web site is essentially the same as the Lrya.  It probably is a re-branding.  

My understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that most of the parts in these prosumer machines are commercial parts.  In other words, the parts are readily available because they are interchangeable with other prosumer machines and the larger commercial market.  

So, if asthetics are not a big issue and you have the opportunity to get a great deal on last year's model, I'd go for it, epecially if the key parts are the same (i.e. grouphead, pump, boiler size, etc.).  It sounds like the boiler design might have changed on the Lyra, but hopefully the manufacturer will know.
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2003, 10:41am

milnerb1 Said:

So, if asthetics are not a big issue and you have the opportunity to get a great deal on last year's model, I'd go for it, epecially if the key parts are the same (i.e. grouphead, pump, boiler size, etc.).  It sounds like the boiler design might have changed on the Lyra, but hopefully the manufacturer will know.

Posted February 27, 2003 link

The old Mininova had a square SS boiler as well.

I have no idea what role boiler design, apart from the volume for steaming, and the heat-exchanger design for the coffee, and the heater size for recovery, plays in the final product.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
Deferio
Deferio
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GB5, Futuremat, Nuova,...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Compak, Grind...
Roaster: Alliance World Coffees
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2003, 9:53pm

So how would you say the Wega Lyra is a cut above the Giotto? Possibly more power and temp-stability?

-May your coffee be deep-
pragma

Espresso: Wega Lyra EPU-R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: FreshRoast Plus
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2003, 10:20am

Here are some photos of the Wega Lyra EPU-R (MiniNova 2002 Inox outside the USA)
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2003, 11:04am

pragma Said:

Here are some photos of the Wega Lyra EPU-R (MiniNova 2002 Inox outside the USA)

Posted March 7, 2003 link

Congrats, it's a great looking machine. The square boiler is odd looking, but makes a lot of sense in a compact design.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's with the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.436872005463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+