Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adjusting vibe...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 1:17pm
Subject: Re: Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines

Sure - the Lyra is just the North American name for the Mininova.  Maybe email it to me if it is not too big of a file.  Thanks.

I just re-read your post from yesterday about adjusting the safety valve.  From what I recall, the safety valve is a copper valve that sits on top of th boiler.  I don't think it is adjustable though, so you must be fiddling with the 2nd OPV.  I just took a pic of the guts of my machione.  I'll post it in a few minutes.

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
syd
syd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Roaster: Many
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 2:00pm

Sean, it's available here: http://www.wega.it/wega/pdf/mininova.pdf.

It's for the 'old' Mininova though, not the one with the full stainless steel sides. The insides are a little different I think.
 View Profile Link to this post
strugs
strugs

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 2:49pm

here is the pic

strugs: opvs.jpg
(Click for larger image)

- Sean
syd
syd

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 3:21pm

Well, that's very interesting. I think the valve on top of the machine you've labeled as the Brew Pressure Valve is called the 'Safety Valve' in the parts doc. When I adjusted this, it didn't affect the pump pressure to the basket.

I've been adjusting what you've labeled the '2nd Pressure Valve' next to the pump. This valve changes the pump pressure to the basket.
strugs
strugs

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 4:12pm

Well, both OPV's are in line.  My theory is that adjusting either of them influences the other one.

Are you making adjustments to the OPV's while the pump is running?

- Sean
syd
syd

Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 5:10pm

Here's what I've done. The machine as shipped to me had both valves screwed completely in. When I loosened the 'brew pressure valve' I couldn't get a stable pressure. It would sit at 9 and then gradually rise again. So instead of adjusting that valve I started to adjust the '2nd OPV' valve. Adjusting this valve would allow me to get a stable 9 using a basket gauge.

However, since your posting and discussions with Doug (CG: MiniNova), I checked with Doug as to what his settings were, and his '2nd OPV' was about 3/4 open. I've now set up mine to the same and now I can adjust the 'brew pressure valve' so that I get a stable 9 using the basket gauge.

Thanks for all your info.
strugs
strugs

Posted Sun Dec 26, 2004, 12:53am

I thought I should update the WWDP crowd about more crazy "Double OPV" theories.

I am off work until Wednesday, so I decided to use the down time over the holidays to tweak my espresso machine.  I removed the case again today and had a good look at the plumbing.  My latest theory is that the top OPV is indeed a safety valve.  I think its primary purpose is to prevent excess pressue from flowing back to the pump.  It bypasses the excess pressure by rerouting water to the main water line before the pump.  

I now believe that the bottom OPV (labeled "2nd pressure valve" in the pic I posted above) is the brew pressure control valve.  As I mentioned earlier, both OPV's are in-line, so one OPV's setting can influence the other.  Since they are in-line the pressure in the brew line cannot exceed the lowest setting of the two OPV's.  For example, if the 1st OPV is set at 10 bar, but the 2nd is set for 15 bar, the pressure in the line will not exceed 10 bar because the 1st OPV is rerouting excess pressure to the water inlet line before the pump.  If the 1st OPV is set at 15 bar, and the second is set at 10 bar, the line will be limited to 10 bar because excess pressure is routed from the 2nd OPV to the drip tray.

I will be setting up my portafilter pressure guage tomorrow to see if this theory can be proven.

- Sean
strugs
strugs

Posted Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:57am

My experiments over the past two days confirmed that both OPV's affect brew pressure.

For those of you unfamiliar with WEGA plumbing, it looks like this:

• pump
  • OPV1 with excess pressure routed back to pump inlet
  • copper water line
  • OPV2 with excess pressure routed to drip tray
  • copper water line leading to HX brew system

I adjusted both OPV's so that they were closed (no pressure bleedoff).
PF guage read 13 bar.

Then I adjusted OPV1 while watching the PF pressure guage .  At the OPV's limit, the guage did not fall below 10 bar.

Then I closed OPV1 and adjusted OPV2 - same result - the brew pressure would not fall below 10 bar.

It was only with a combination of opening both OPV's that I could reduce pressure to the coveted 9 bar range.  With both OPV's wide open, I could actually get pressure down to 7 bar.

This might explain why there are two OPV's on the WEGA machines.  This type of OPV (which from pics I have seen of other machines' internals seems to be quite different from the OPV's used by most other manufacturers) must be limited in how much they can reduce pressure.  Two of these OPV's are necessary to reduce system pressure to appropriate levels.

- Sean
Gerry

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Dec 30, 2004, 3:39pm

Interesting technical details. I would be interested to know how all these pressure adjustments affected your shot flavor, and what pressure WEGA owners settled on.

Gerry
strugs
strugs

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2005, 2:20pm

I conducted more WEGA brew pressure experiments today.  Since these experiments have hijacked the original post, I have started a new thread geared towards double OPV WEGA machines.

"WEGA Lyra / Mininova Brew Pressure Adjustments"

- Sean
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adjusting vibe...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461133003235)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+