Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Old Coffee Gaggia
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Old Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2003, 7:43pm
Subject: Old Coffee Gaggia

I recently picked up a ~20-year-old Coffee Gaggia at a thrift shop for $15.  This one has the 3-way solenoid and 1500 watt boiler.  The boiler appears to leak where the top half joins the base.  This is one of the boilers with the aluminum top and brass (I think) base.  I took it apart and found it pitted and rough where it is supposed to seal.  The rubber seal was rough as well.  I also have doubts about the pump.  It does not appear to be original.  My questions:

• Does anyone know where I can get replacement  boilers or parts?
  • Can I get a machine shop to mill the surface smooth?  (It wouldn't take much)
  • Where can I get replacement seals?
  • Where can I get a replacement pump?
  • Is this worth the effort and cost?  (for someone who otherwise will continue to use a steam-powered espresso machine)

There was a posting in this forum from about a year ago from someone else with the same machine, but he didn't say how it turned out.

I've been to espressoparts.com, but didn't see anything listed that looks like what I have.

Thanks.
Jack Rogers

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rcs914
rcs914
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2003, 11:27am
Subject: Re: Old Coffee Gaggia

Hey JR-

You're in luck.  As long as you have some mechanical ability this machine is really easy to work on.  The biggest problem you have already identified:  The mating edge of the aluminum top half to the brass bottom.  I mounted the top half of my boiler in a lathe and turned the edge of it down.  The machinist where I worked helped me.  If you go to a machine shop to have it done, it will probably be pricy.  Be very careful, as the boiler is irreplaceable!  These older boilers are three times the size of current gaggia boilers, and they no longer make them.  So don't break off the heating element tips. The boiler seal, and the group head gasket (older blue one) are both available from www.electra-craft.com. You will have to call them to order.  The gaskets are about $18 for both.  Why do you think the pump was replaced?  If it works, I wouldn't mess with it.  But if it does need replacing it costs around $40.  I can't write as much as I want to right now (I'm at work) but suffice it to say I can probably answer every question you have about this machine.  Yes it is worthwhile to refurbish it, as it is the equivalent of the current $400 gaggia classics.  The biggest flaw it has is the lack of any diffuser for the water exiting the grouphead.  The single small hole above the dispersion screen tends to dig a hole in the puck.  It is a great machine to learn on, and a real step up from steam toys.  I assume that the one you have came with the portafilter handle and baskets?  Otherwise you will have to purchase these too.  Actually even if you have the portafilter handle, you will eventually want to replace it.  For some reason Gaggia saw fit to make these old ones out of aluminum.  The new ones are chromed brass, and are a lot better.  Feel free to email me, and later I will write what you really need to know about this machine.

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2003, 12:32pm

Hi, Chris!

You're the one whose post from last year I replied to.  I was hoping to get an update on how yours turned out.  This is encouraging.

I do have some more questions, but I'll email you directly with them.

By the way, the link for electra-craft is www.electra-craft.com (unless you're actually looking for electric boats).

Thanks.
Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
rcs914
rcs914

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2003, 1:56pm

JR Said:

By the way, the link for electra-craft is www.electra-craft.com (unless you're actually looking for electric boats).

Thanks.
Jack

Posted April 2, 2003 link

Oops, that's right.  I forgot about that.

Chris

JR
JR

Posted Thu Apr 3, 2003, 8:51pm

Well, I found someone with a lathe who was willing to work on my boiler.  He ground it down so that almost all of the pitting is gone, but it now leaks worse than before.  The original boiler gasket was badly caked with mineral deposits, and now that they're gone, I'm just not getting a good seal.  I'm going to have to wait for the new gasket to come in.

I also discovered my water reservoir is cracked in one corner, so it leaks.  I'm not sure whether to try Crazy Glue, JB Weld, or something else.  Any advice?

Thanks.
Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
rcs914
rcs914

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2003, 11:50am

Yes, the new boiler seal is a necessity.  It will also most likely be necessary to shorten your bolts that hold the boiler together.  You can check this by taking the seal out, and screwing one bolt back in.  It should screw tightly enough so that it is difficult to move the two halves, eventhough there is only one bolt holding it.  If it doesn't (like mine didn't) you will have to shorten the stainless bolts.  

As for the water container, I would try some epoxy that mixes together, or the type that sort of melts the plastic.  Do it on the outside only.  We have a pourover coffee maker at work that has a plastic reservoir, and it leaks too, even though it has had a bunch of stuff slatherd over the crack.  

I've got to go right now, but I will get around to writing the long description at some point.

Chris

JR
JR

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2003, 11:42am

Just an update for anyone who might be interested.  I got the new boiler gasket, and installed it.

However, the top thermostat went bad when I had the boiler apart to grind the mating surface.  I could not get current accross the thermostat.  I pried it open and tinkered with it (bad move!) and got it to "work"--just long enough to blow out the thermal fuse on the boiler.  But the good part is, no leaks, even at a temp high enough to blow the fuse!

So, back to Electra-craft for parts:  Thermostat, thermal fuse, and a new water tank (turns out the new tanks will fit the old machines).  Once I get the new parts in, I'll post another update.

I've now sunk about $63 into this machine.  Hopefully, that will do it for a little while.  The only thing left that's still questionable is the pump.

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
pressurestat
pressurestat

Espresso: Gaggia Lever, Bezzera 2000
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Gaggia Bulk brewer for above
Posted Wed Apr 30, 2003, 4:20pm

Hi there guys,

Just a quick question. What do you recommend using to seal boiler gaskets with. I completely refurbished my 70's lever group Gaggia last year and used a product called Loctite 510. It is amazing stuff. Its pink and gloopy and only sets when under pressure and in the absence of air. I ended up using it for all of the copper joints and all of the gaskets. The only thing I don't know is how it will wear of the years.

Good luck on your machine

Cheers

Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
JR
JR

Posted Wed Apr 30, 2003, 5:28pm

Ben,

I didn't seal mine with anything (except the four bolts).  Was I supposed to?

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
pressurestat
pressurestat

Espresso: Gaggia Lever, Bezzera 2000
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Gaggia Bulk brewer for above
Posted Thu May 1, 2003, 4:05am

Hi there,

You should use some sort of sealant on boiler and group head to boiler gaskets. I am not personally familier with your machine but if it only has 4 bolts holding the boiler plate on, even more a reason to use a gasket sealant.

If you can find somewhere that can get Loctite 510 for you then you are in luck. It will probably end all of your leakage problems. Here is a link to Loctite's data sheet: http://www.loctite.com/datasheets/tds/Product_510.pdf

it is a cynoacrylate based sealant, ie super glue, but it only seals and sets when under pressure and in the absence of air. Which is exactly what happens inside a gasket joint. It is approved for use on potable water and its performance does not degrade over the temperature and pressure ranges found inside most boilers.

I have rebuilt a dual lever italcrem and a dual lever Gaggia both 1970's ish and have not had a single leak anywhere after using this stuff. Much better than silicone and way better than PTFE tape.

Good luck

Cheers

Ben
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Old Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367769002914)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+