Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Fine Tuning Brew Temperature on a Heat Exchanger Machine - A Workable Solution
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Fine Tuning Brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 4:08am
Subject: Re: Fine Tuning Brew Temperature on a Heat Exchanger Machine

Hey Abe, that's an interesting chart, thanks for posting it. I'd like to duplicate your experiment but wouldn't be allowed the 14 hours spare time required ;-)

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
mainbohemian

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Yes
Grinder: Yes
Vac Pot: Yes
Drip: Yes
Roaster: Yes
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 7:06am
Subject: Hey ABe, Good Job

Abe_Carmeli Said:

click here

Posted November 30, 2004 link

Whew!  That's A Lot of Blah Blah (place smile here)

Abe_Carmeli Said:

The problem with Danís method is that on my machine, watching the water flow to determine water brew temperature still leaves a margin of error of 4-5 degrees. That margin of error can bring me to a brewing temp that is either too low or too high.  I was looking for a method that will consistently produce 202-203 degrees brew temperature.

Abe

Posted November 30, 2004 link

Abe & Dan

Thanks-A-Ton for the info on the importance & methods on the cooling flush!  My espresso just got turned up a notch, again.
boby
boby

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Harios, Conas
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Hottop, PID'd Sirocco, ++...
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 8:58am

This may be useful for Andreja owners...

Ok - I stayed up late and got up early cause this thing had got me going! But I'm a real happy camper now and Abe, thanks for pointing the way. I can now pull shots, one after the other at any common brew temperature of my choice, by measuring the flush water quantity and watching a stop watch! My method is slightly different than Abe's.

My water quantities and times are a bit different from Abe's due to the difference in machines (not so much due to the water in the tank although I saw that that did make a small difference). First, just to give a reference, my pstat is set at a max. of 1.05 bar, not the 1.2 it was set at when I got it. After many, many data-logged measurements here's the bottom line and remember, this fits my routine and my machine (I take a leisurely 3 minutes to flush, grind, fill, tamp, lock and load and place the cup). I ain't no pro with customers lined up and I ain't in no hurry!:

1. If the machine has been idle for a while, flush 6 oz.

2. After three minutes, flush 2 oz.

3. Wait 40 seconds and pull the shot.

That's it! I pulled 40 shots in a row using this routine (2. and 3.) and the shot temperature was 203 plus/minus 0.5 deg F for every one!!! If I want a 202 deg F shot, I wait 30 sec. and for a 201 deg F shot, 25 sec. I'll probably make a time chart for the Andreja, in case I want to go above 203 or below 201 deg F for brewing temps.

Some additional info: Every one of the 2oz flushes before pulling the shot (after waiting 3-minutes since the last shot) were also stunning in their consistency, peaking to 205deg F and hitting a minimum 194 deg F plus/minus 0.5 deg flush after flush. I was amazed! This means that I can hit any temperature I wish between 194F and 205F by simply changing the length of time for the 2oz. flush.

The difference between my method and Abe's is that his is designed to provide a 202-203F shot every time. I've standardized on a 2oz flush and just change the timing for different temperatures. For me, it's easy to remember 2oz, 40-sec-wait for 203, 30-sec-wait for 202, 25-sec-wait for 201.

Yes, I'm a happy camper and thanks Abe and Dan for providing the foundation. Of course none of this is earth-shattering; Jim S. has been saying this for eons and many other HX, E-61 owners have routines similar to this. It's just that I've never seen it documented this way before and never for the Andreja, specifically.

BTW, Dan, if you're listening, could you try this on your Andreja if you still have it and comment (and if you have time)?

BobY

BobY
www.coffeecuppers.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 10:37am

boby Said:

BTW, Dan, if you're listening, could you try this on your Andreja if you still have it and comment (and if you have time)?

Posted December 4, 2004 link

No, all the test machines went to the CCC EspressoFest (see highlights). Those that didn't sell at the show are still at Counter Culture Coffee or will soon be shipped back to event sponsors. Although I didn't systematically measure volumes as you and Abe have, your succinct rules sound consistent with my experience.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
Abe_Carmeli
Abe_Carmeli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus modified...
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press
Drip: Technovorm
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 11:48am

Bob,

Congrats, that method must be a winner for the Andreja.  It is simpler than my routine on the Giotto.  I tried it briefly on the Giotto but due to the differences in the machines and brew pressure it does not work.  I will try to adjust the flush times and quantities for the Giotto, using your simple rule and see if it fits.  

In the meantime, I did some more tests this morning.  I wanted to try the chart on a machine that has been warming up for not more than 25 minutes and see if there is a difference.  Simulating first shot of the day for some people. I did find that the flush quantity for the first flush needs to be adjusted as well as the recovery time.  Did you try your routine under those conditions?

Abe

Abe Carmeli
x

Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 12:24pm
Subject: Re: Fine Tuning Brew Temp. on a Heat Exchanger Machine - A Workable Solution

Hello Abe,

Thanks for all the work and sharing.

For folks that don't have a TC setup, if a person were using the

"listen to the water coming out of the portafilter to wait for it to stop flashing to steam or gurgling"

method of temp. control that Dan has outlined do you think your tests would correlate to, or validate this simpler method.
I realize one would better off with some hard numbers to reference from, after the hard numbers a person would have 2 handy tools to work with, sound of water and volume of water during cooling flushes.

Example:
With a 5 min. idle and a 6.5 to 7 ounce flush at what point would the water exiting the portafilter stop sputtering? If both methods are reasonably accurate one would assume maybe 3?  ounces and then count seconds to arrive at desired temp of 202 equaling the  6.5 to 7 oz. total flush.  

I didn't state this as succintly as I probably could have, I am starting to think I need to take a class on Technical Writing  to post here anymore as topics become more a bit more complex, hope it comes across making sense.
Thanks again
Loring
boby
boby

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Harios, Conas
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Hottop, PID'd Sirocco, ++...
Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 1:06pm

Abe_Carmeli Said:

Bob,

Congrats, that method must be a winner for the Andreja.  It is simpler than my routine on the Giotto.  I tried it briefly on the Giotto but due to the differences in the machines and brew pressure it does not work.  I will try to adjust the flush times and quantities for the Giotto, using your simple rule and see if it fits.  

In the meantime, I did some more tests this morning.  I wanted to try the chart on a machine that has been warming up for not more than 25 minutes and see of there is a difference.  Simulating first shot of the day for some people. I did find that the flush quantity for the first flush needs to be adjusted as well as the recovery time.  Did you try your routine under those conditions?

Abe

No, not yet. I usually give my machine at least an hour to stabilize and in the case of many of my measurements, early this morning, the machine had been on continuosly for nearly 24 hours. But I will try it over the next few days and report back.

BobY

BobY
www.coffeecuppers.com
Abe_Carmeli
Abe_Carmeli

Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: Fine Tuning Brew Temp. on a Heat Exchanger Machine - A Workable Solution

x Said:

Hello Abe, with a 5 min. idle and a 6.5 to 7 ounce flush at what point would the water exiting the portafilter stop sputtering? If both methods are reasonably accurate one would assume maybe 3?  ounces and then count seconds to arrive at desired temp of 202 equaling the  6.5 to 7 oz. total flush.  

Loring,

That point is machine dependant.  On the Giotto, it is around the 70 % flush quantity.  However, I found it hard to judge by watching the flow alone.

It is my experience that at that noticeable point, where it stops visible sputtering, the temperature is still too high, it is around 210 f. on the Giotto.  To bring it down to 201-202 degrees, you should let it run for about 40% of what it has already run.  That is if you have 3 oz flushed at that point, have it flush 1.2 oz more.  If you want to count seconds from that point, check on your machine how long it take it to release 1 ounce of water during a pull and use it as your measurement. If it takes it 3 seconds to release 1 ounce, in the above example you need to count about 4 seconds and stop the flush.  Then count 30-35 seconds and pull your shot.  

Dan Kehn is a much better judge of water flow than I am.  Dan, if you are still there, what is your take on this?

Abe

Abe Carmeli
Abe_Carmeli
Abe_Carmeli

Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 1:51pm

Iíve added some more data to the flush chart.  There is a section dealing with machines that were warmed up to a minimum of 25 minutes to simulate first shot of the day for some people, and the affect of using a bottomless portafilter. I also integrated the flush routine into the grind, dose and tamp routine.

Man, I must stop doing this and get out of the house.  See attached.

Abe

Fine Tuning Brew Temperature on a Heat Exchanger Machine.pdf

Abe Carmeli
HB

Posted Sat Dec 4, 2004, 2:48pm

Abe_Carmeli Said:

Dan Kehn is a much better judge of water flow than I am.  Dan, if you are still there, what is your take on this?

The sound is telling, more so than the "sputtering" you'll see. Nonetheless, in the video that accompanied my article, the visual transition is very distinct -- right between the 24 and 25 second mark. For that particular machine, the temperature is 206F at that point.

I intentionally showed a cooling flush after the machine was idle for a long time to make the point very obvious -- you can see the water practically splashing across the driptray for the first 15-20 seconds. The sputtering during a cooling flush within a few minutes of another would be less vigorous and the transition harder to discern. Even so, if you watch the dispersion screen, you'll see the bubbling and churning, hear the hissing, then finally an abrupt calm. Whether you're using a thermometer, measuring cup, stopwatch, whatever, recognizing that point shouldn't take much practice.

As a test, try watching the video and focusing on the water flow. Ignore the digital display. Press the "pause" button when you notice the sudden calm. After three or four viewings, I bet you'll press pause within 0.5 degrees of 206F. Counting (or measuring, if you prefer) from that point should consistently give the same starting point, except for those who pull shots in rapid succession. As long as the starting temperature is the same shot-to-shot, you can then adjust the "rebound time" to taste as Bob suggests and put aside aids like measuring cups, timers, etc.

In my view, consistency is the name of the game. Most home barista probably don't want to invest the time and money in precise, fast-reaction thermometers / TCs. My advice emphasizes a "no tools required" approach, although I certainly agree that accurate measurements like coffee weight, tamp pressure, temperature, brew pressure, etc. give valuable feedback that can move one along the learning curve faster.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Fine Tuning Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.49450302124)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+