Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Fine Tuning Brew Temperature on a Heat Exchanger Machine - A Workable Solution
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Fine Tuning Brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Abe_Carmeli
Abe_Carmeli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus modified...
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press
Drip: Technovorm
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2005, 6:18pm
Subject: Re: Fine Tuning Brew Temperature on a Heat Exchanger Machine

singforsupper Said:

That is indeed a great chart.  On my Briccoletta, I have a direct connect to the water line and I have a drain hose on my drip pan.  Therefore, I just run about 10-11 oz. of water through the group head if it's been setting for a while.  Would that make sense?   If there's no need to be concerned about the volume of water used nor the water level of the drip pan, then is the chart still applicable?

Posted March 5, 2005 link

The chart is applicable regardless of your water source.  Your water source may only affect the rebound time (recovery time) if the water temperature in your pipe is lower than 80f.  Allow a few more seconds in such case for recovery. 11 oz is too much.  8-8.5 oz will empty the H/X on most prosumer machines, so you would not want to go over that.  Your temperature will drop below brew temperature and you will need a much longer recovery time if you do.  If you cannot measure your brew temperature, follow the chart as is, and add a few seconds to your recovery time.  Setting your boiler pressure to 1.1 bars would also help.

Abe
 View Profile Link to this post
EricC
EricC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 6:53am

Hi BobY,

boby Said:

This may be useful for Andreja owners...

I'll probably make a time chart for the Andreja, in case I want to go above 203 or below 201 deg F for brewing temps.

BobY

Posted December 4, 2004 link

Did you ever complete this chart?

If you did, please can you E-mail me a copy?

Cheers
Eric.
boby
boby
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Harios, Conas
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Hottop, PID'd Sirocco, ++...
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 7:08pm

EricC Said:

Hi BobY,
Did you ever complete this chart?
If you did, please can you E-mail me a copy?
Cheers
Eric.

Posted May 19, 2005 link

Hi Eric,
I guess I'll tell you more than you asked! In the end, I really didn't need a chart. I guess I just played around with this so much that I can now come within a degree or two of my desired brew temperature without using a chart. The most important flush is that first one. If you have a way to measure the temperature of the water coming out of the group, and you learn how long an initial flush you need to get to a desired target temperature (by deciding what temp gives you the best cup quality), and then you stop the flush there, all the rest will quite easily fall into place. On my Andreja, I cut the initial flush off at around 200 deg F, down from 212 deg F. Initially, it takes a bunch of measuring and some time but after you go through it you'll be able to hit the target brew temp dead on and after that, you won't need to measure temps again. All you'll need to do is a 2-ounce flush, wait 30 seconds and pull the shot. That's it! Timing the flush will be enough. 2 oz takes 8 sec on my machine. It sounds harder than it is.

Just by coincidence, yesterday, I was curious, after months of pulling shots intuitvely, how consistent my brew temps were. So I pulled out my PF with an embedded TC, data-logged a bunch of shots and posted the results on another coffee forum. I found out that I can still pull shots to within the same temperature tolerances by getting the flush timing just right. I don't measure the water amounts; just the flush time.

Here is a chart showing part of what I did yesterday and really, what I do every day. The temps are the Y axis and the time in one-minute intervals is the X axis. Although this graph doesn't show the very first 25-second flush, these are the flushes after that. The first peak in each group is a 2-ounce flush. The second is a 2-oz shot pull. Note the relatively consistent temps of all the shot pulls even though the time between flushes changes (by design). The temps don't vary by more than a degree or two. This is a very stable and consistent process.

BobY

boby: Andreja 5_18_05.jpg
(Click for larger image)

BobY
www.coffeecuppers.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jakethecoffeelover
jakethecoffeelover
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: Perhaps in the future...
Drip: Insulated Bodum Kenya FP
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 7:46pm

Remember that many people advise people to start the shot at high temperature so as to neutralize the sour notes as the shot comes out, especially with pre-infusion. While I'm here, I figure I'll give a little and get a little. I have a question. When you pull a normal doppio shot, that means that 2oz of water goes through the heat exchanger in 25 seconds. For the sake of getting an answer, let's assume that this is always true. Now, when you pull a ristretto, only 1oz of water goes through the HX in 25 seconds. Therefore, the water ends up sitting in that tube surrounded by 125C water for longer. That means that the brewing temperature will be higher. Is this a major problem with HX machines? Is there a way around it either than what I plan to do when I modify my machine and temperature probe the steam boiler for control?

I got a blog! http://www.coffeaarabica.blogspot.com
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Thu May 19, 2005, 11:50pm

Jake - most HX machince have an pressure valve that limits the water pressure going to the grouphead.  Excess pressure (and therefore excess water flow) is rerouted to a seperate line which in most cases flows into the drip tray.  FOr your example of pulling a rsitretto, the same amount of water will purge form the HX coil, but some will go to the grouphead, and the remainder will go to the tray.  Make sense?

- Sean
jakethecoffeelover
jakethecoffeelover
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: Perhaps in the future...
Drip: Insulated Bodum Kenya FP
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast
Posted Fri May 20, 2005, 12:25am

Nice that makes perfect sense. Thanks. You really know how to explain these things! It's the only thing left I definitely need to know in order to make my mods! I won't have time until provincial exams are over though... end of June!

I got a blog! http://www.coffeaarabica.blogspot.com
EricC
EricC

Posted Fri May 20, 2005, 2:14am

Thanks for the Graph and extra info BobY.

I see that i will have to get the thermocouple and digital thermometer out and do some measuring on my machine.

With the information you have given I have a similar machines data to compare my machine against.

Cheers
Eric.
boby
boby

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Harios, Conas
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Hottop, PID'd Sirocco, ++...
Posted Fri May 20, 2005, 2:40am

EricC Said:

Thanks for the Graph and extra info BobY.

I see that i will have to get the thermocouple and digital thermometer out and do some measuring on my machine.

With the information you have given I have a similar machines data to compare my machine against.

Cheers
Eric.

Posted May 20, 2005 link

Glad to help. And, not to beat a dead horse, once you settle on an approximate routine, it will all become second nature. That chart was just a spontaneous sanity check that I did out of curiosity after months of not measuring anything, not time, or volume, or anything. I count the seconds in my head if I have to, and judge the volume by how much it fills a cup. One additional thing that helps... The initial 6-oz flush just fills a cappa cup to the brim and preheats it as well! So I use that little trick when my first drink of the day is a cappa, which it often is.

Let us know how you make out.

BobY

BobY
www.coffeecuppers.com
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Fri May 20, 2005, 2:47am

boby Said:

Here is a chart showing part of what I did yesterday and really, what I do every day....Note the relatively consistent temps of all the shot pulls even though the time between flushes changes (by design). The temps don't vary by more than a degree or two. This is a very stable and consistent process.

Posted May 19, 2005 link

Hi Bob!

Do you have graphs that focus on the actual shot pulls? With perhaps, a one or two second interval on the X axis?

I understand the point you're making, but that graph just indicates that the temp are fairly consistent. There isn't enough detailed information to make the earth-shaking conclusions that we strive to make on Coffeegeek.  :-)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
EricC
EricC

Posted Fri May 20, 2005, 3:56am

boby Said:

Glad to help.

Let us know how you make out.

BobY

Posted May 20, 2005 link

Will do and thanks once again.

Cheers
Eric.
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Fine Tuning Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.502511024475)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+