Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How much residual grinds normal in bottom of cup?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How much...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Everman
Everman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2005, 10:31pm
Subject: Re: How much residual grinds normal in bottom of cup?

Hm this isn't making much sence to me. I still got a little bit of fine grounds at the bottom of my cup even after fully cleaning the machine. (though I haven't backflushed). I've been using only the mazzer mini except for the first few days I've had Silvia.  It's not really a problem with such a small amount, but I do find it interesting. I should add that this is with a bottomless PF as well, no grounds getting stuck anywhere.
 View Profile Link to this post
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2005, 8:09am

Everman Said:

Hm this isn't making much sence to me. I still got a little bit of fine grounds at the bottom of my cup even after fully cleaning the machine. (though I haven't backflushed). I've been using only the mazzer mini except for the first few days I've had Silvia.  It's not really a problem with such a small amount, but I do find it interesting. I should add that this is with a bottomless PF as well, no grounds getting stuck anywhere.

Posted January 23, 2005 link

I use a relatively new Mazzer Mini too, and my experience has been with my normal PF.  I also have a new bottomless PF with triple basket, so I am going to see if there is a difference.  While I agree that the grinder can be an issue, I certainly do not think it is an issue in my case.

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2005, 8:15am

I will occasionally see a very small amount of grounds in the bottom of my cup as well.  I am using a Expobar Pulser and a Mazzer Mini grinder.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as the espresso tastes good.
IronBarista
IronBarista

Espresso: Ginsu Silvia
Grinder: Ginsu Super Jolly & Rocky
Vac Pot: Ginsu Nada
Drip: Ginsu Melitta (pourover)
Roaster: Ginsu Behmor
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2005, 11:30pm

I've read that it could also come from cracks in the bottom of the basket but I don't buy that.  If there is a crack big enough to let grinds through, you'd see it.

One thing, since I'm home-roasting now (Yeah!), there seems to be less grinds ending up in the cup.  It could be because the beans are fresher, you don't have to grind as fine as older beans.

I drink espresso so I can work longer,
so I can make more money,
so I can drink more espresso,
so I can work longer,
so I can make more money,
so I can drink more espresso...
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Thu Jan 27, 2005, 1:09pm

Decided to ditch my grinder (have listed it in the buy and sell forum) and get a Rocky.  Arrived today...guess what, no more pinch of grounds in the bottom of my cup.  There is however a tiny amount of super fine sediment, which I would almost expect. but nothing like what I was experiencing before with the Infinity Grinder.  Thanks for everyone's imput.
Kaelin
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Descartes
Descartes

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bodum Chambord FP
Roaster: GG/SC
Posted Thu Jan 27, 2005, 8:31pm

Glad you fixed your problem!  That doesn't really explain mine, however, unless something is wrong with my almost new Mini...
driver8

Espresso: Spaziale S1
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2005, 5:06pm

I just got a new Mazzer Mini and a Spaziale S1 and I, too, am getting quite a bit of grinds in the finished shot.  In seeing whether the grinder is at fault, I partially filled the pf basket with grounds and shook it, kind of like a flour sifter.  Sure enough, grinds fall through.  However, using pre-ground Illy espresso coffee, which is fairly coarse, the same thing happens.  This would suggest the holes in the pf basket may be too big.  Some of the holes do in fact look bigger than others; in general they are not as uniform as I would have guessed.
I have two replacement pf baskets on the way to see if that makes a difference.
I wonder if something in the tamping process is supposed to create a puck which prevents loose grinds from flowing off with the espresso liquid into the cup?  I have tried various tamping methods but not found any improvements.
In catching a single shot in three cups, I was able to determine that the initial liquid contains some of the larger grinds, but the second part, which contains most of the crema, has quite a bit as well.  I was hoping that the method recommended by some to void the first half second of liquid before catching the shot would also eliminate the grinds problem.  So far, that does not seem to be the case.
Depending on how things go with the new pf baskets, I have one additional thought.  One could use a thin layer of very coarsely ground coffee in the bottom of the pf basket, and then top that with the "real" ground coffee.  I'm thinking something like 3g coarse coffee and 14g "normally" ground coffee.  The bottom layer would then act as a filter.  Granted, this would steal some of the volume available in the basket, and would also be a bit of a nuisance to have to do every time, but might still be a worthwhile tradeoff.  Personally, I really dislike the grounds and want to find a way to get rid of them.
Cargo_Macchiato
Cargo_Macchiato

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Feb 8, 2005, 5:11am

driver8 Said:

I have tried various tamping methods but not found any improvements.

Posted February 7, 2005 link

actually, i tried that aswell since i have a very cheap grinder and i also wanted to get rid of the residual in my shots..

I found that if i tamp hard and long and thourough (and uneven) i get alot more residual then i tamp once hard, knock, tamp firm again and twist. Less residual grinds and at the same time minimize channeling :)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How much...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298979043961)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+