Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How much residual grinds normal in bottom of cup?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How much...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2005, 1:20pm
Subject: How much residual grinds normal in bottom of cup?

Newbie ?  Just got my Silvia...proper tamper on the way.  Had to use the plastic one unfortunately.  Anyhow, best effort on the tamp (with scale etc.) first double shot 2 1/2 oz. in just about 25 seconds through La Marzocco filter basket.  Nice thick crema, not bitter.  First froth unsuccessful, second much better- nice microfoam.  Long story short, how much residual grounds is normal at the bottom of the cup.  I have a little bit of "peppering," not much.  Had other espresso in the past that had grounds in the cup but never really thought much about whether this is normal or not.   Made an earlier post about grinder concerns:

"Anybody use Capresso Infinity with the Silvia?"

Could my grinder be the reason for this?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2005, 1:51pm
Subject: Re: How much residual grinds normal in bottom of cup?

buzzmccowan Said:

Newbie ?  Just got my Silvia...proper tamper on the way.  Had to use the plastic one unfortunately.  Anyhow, best effort on the tamp (with scale etc.) first double shot 2 1/2 oz. in just about 25 seconds through La Marzocco filter basket.  Nice thick crema, not bitter.  First froth unsuccessful, second much better- nice microfoam.  Long story short, how much residual grounds is normal at the bottom of the cup.  I have a little bit of "peppering," not much.  Had other espresso in the past that had grounds in the cup but never really thought much about whether this is normal or not.   Made an earlier post about grinder concerns:

"Anybody use Capresso Infinity with the Silvia?"

Could my grinder be the reason for this?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Posted January 19, 2005 link

There was another thread about this, and it seemed I was the only guy who had the problem.  Bear in mind, many have E61 machines, so maybe that is why.  Both your Silvia and my Livia are not E61.  If finally figured out that grounds were getting trapped in the showerscreen no matter how much I backflushed, wiped, primed, etc.  If I removed the showerscreen and related parts, and clean them by hand, my first resulting shot had no grinds, but every shot after that did.

I have come to accept that grounds are OK, and I disassemble and clean the showerscreen about once every week.

BTW, it is easy to tell where the grounds are coming from - just hit the switch like you are making a shot, but don't have the PF engaged.  Instead, have a large white bowl or cup underneath and examine it.  There should only be hot water; if you see grounds you know where they are coming from.  If you don't see grounds, you can allow the water to pass through the enganged PF and see if that is the issue.

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
Descartes
Descartes

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bodum Chambord FP
Roaster: GG/SC
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2005, 3:00pm

I never quite understood how a dirty screen, etc. would explain grinds in the cup.  Would the grinds still not have to pass through the basket to get into the cup?  It seems this would point to the basket, the grinder, etc. as being the problem.
 View Profile Link to this post
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Jan 19, 2005, 6:59pm

I usually seem to have a tiny amount. Just about 30 mins ago I made a great double with my bottomless pf and still had a bit.  I also did pull a blank shot prior.
Everything was clean, but I haven't cleaned the shower screen since Sunday.
It doesn't bother me, the shot tasted great and was of perfect timing and volume.
ChrisatCafeGreenBean
ChrisatCafeGreenBean

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Super Jolly
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Technivorm & Bunn Commercial
Roaster: SC/CO, BBQ Drum, Popper
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 6:58am

Descartes Said:

I never quite understood how a dirty screen, etc. would explain grinds in the cup.  Would the grinds still not have to pass through the basket to get into the cup?  It seems this would point to the basket, the grinder, etc. as being the problem.

Posted January 19, 2005 link

My thought was that if grinds get sucked back into the showerscreen, then later some of those grounds might be forced the other way (into the PF, through the basket and eventually into the cup if the particles were small enough).   What is worse is that within my showerscreen, there is actually a fine screen as well as a coarser screen inside, which makes trapping more likely. (These 2 screens cannot be separated on mine).

I guess the question I should ask is "If your grounds are small enough to go past the filter basket holes, are you grinding too fine?".  By looking at the holes in the filter basket, I would say the answer is "Not necessarily".

The shots that I can pull (grounds or not) are very good, so I am just not too worried at this point, but of course I would like to take the challenge of making a "Grounds-Free Shot" if possible.

Chris

Coffee Link Central - www.coffeelinkcentral.com
Cafe Green Bean - www.cafegreenbean.com
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:40am

I don't typically get any, even when I had my Silvia.  One source of grounds in from the spouts on the portafilter.  I tamp on a mat, and some grounds get on the mat and may stick to the portafilter spouts which are typically damp.  Just wipe off the spouts quick after tamping and you will eliminate this as a source.   Rob
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2005, 1:19pm

Thanks for all your responses.  The first 3 or so shots seemed to produce grounds, but the last few have been far less/none.  I'll continue to experiment with my grinder and my tamping pressure, especially once my proper tamper arrives.  Thanks.
morfious
morfious

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia w/ Auber PID
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Innova...
Vac Pot: Only Espresso Please
Drip: Nope
Roaster: None . . . yet
Posted Fri Jan 21, 2005, 8:13pm

Ocassionally I get a few, 10-20; no I didn't actually count them how big a geek do you think I am?  Cleaning the shower screen and grouphead has reduced/eliminated them.  They were so few when they would appear, that I just considered it a byproduct of making the coffee.  If the bottom 1/8 of your cup was filled I would think you have a problem, if it's just a few then it's nothing to worry about.  Also don't go dumping coffee grounds into the water tank (accident I won't make again!)  That was a source of coffee grounds in the cup for a while, until I ran 2 full tanks through the system to clean everything out!!  When I diasemble teh grouphead I also take a wet rag anc clean out the group head gasket.  I have the group head brush, b ut I find a wet rag does a better job.  Using these methods has all but eliminated teh residual grounds in my illy cappa cup.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MPantani
MPantani

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Pasquini Moka
Drip: Never
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2005, 5:14pm

buzzmccowan,

Grounds in the cup may be related to the grinder.  Any grounds have to pass through the filter basket.  As I understand it, the filter basket holes are designed to be small enough that typical espresso grounds are too large to pass through them.  If coffee grounds are getting through it means that somehow some of coffee is being ground too fine.  

Less expensive grinders tend to have more variation in the grind than expensive ones.  One key advantage of a Mazzer, Pasquini, etc. is that the grounds are all the same size.  I don't know the technical details, but reviews of grinders always seem to focus on the design of the burrs or the consistency of space between the burrs.   Sharpness seems to matter too.  If the burrs are dull they shatter the beans into many fragments of varying sizes; sharp burrs shear the bean cleanly.  Your post says you use a Capresso Infinity, which isn't known for grind consistency.  How old is it?  

If you have a good cafe near you, ask them to grind a couple of shots worth of beans for you to take home to try.  You might have to get them to grind two or three samples with different settings so you can hit the 25 second shot time.  If you don't get grounds in the cup with these samples but you do using the same beans ground in your Capresso, then it's time for new burrs or a new grinder.

_
buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan

Posted Sun Jan 23, 2005, 8:17pm

I think you are right.  I think the grinder isn't able to make consistent grounds.  The grinder is only a month old.  My wife bought it for our Capresso Ultima as an upgrade to our other burr grinder.  It was definitely an improvement but a few weeks after we got it, the Ultima died (she also bought that) and I didn't really like it anyhow...hence the silvia purchase.  Wish I could return the Infinity!  I thought at first that maybe I wasn't filling the pf basket enough (my pucks were pretty wet) or tamping hard enough and smaller particles might work their way through to the bottom.  I altered the amount I put in and check my tamp on a scale (plus my pro tamper arrived) but I still get a bit in the bottom.  I might have to look into a Zassenhaus for the meantime until I can afford a Rocky or something, just not sure that they produce consistent grounds either.
Thanks
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How much...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364218950272)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+