Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Freeze your beans?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Freeze your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Ronaldinho

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 12:01pm
Subject: Freeze your beans?

So I've read a couple of non-coffeegeek places (Consumer reports, the manual that came with my steam-driven espresso machine ten years ago, etc) that you shouldn't freeze beans if you're going to use them for espresso.

But most CG's freeze their beans, right? Is there any reason not to, assuming roasting daily isn't an option. :)

Thanks!

-Ron
 View Profile Link to this post
alanmushnick
alanmushnick

Espresso: Vetrano, gaggia espresso
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Krups aroma control
Roaster: I still don't do this.
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: Freeze your beans?

I buy freshly roasted coffee and freeze the beans. They still taste fresh, and I always know I have a supply on hand.  It works for me.

Alan Mushnick
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
expobar

Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 12:22pm

Make sure, though, it's in the coldest, dryest part of your freezer :-(
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 12:37pm

The only reason not to is if you can taste some negative effect.

Some people claim they can, and thus recommend not freezing.  Many others are unable to taste any downside to freezing, and therefore ignore the traditional wisdom.

I use vacuum freezing and am in the group that likes the results.

Led - if your freezer has wet spots, it's not cold enough. :-)
nyc_crema
nyc_crema

Espresso: Alexia (2010), Silvia (2004)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini (2004)
Posted Sun Feb 6, 2005, 1:21pm

I've read that freezing is only worth it if the beans are extremely fresh (like the day they're roasted).  I don't have the experience to validate that statement, but its what I've read a few times.  I also heard that freezing expands the water molecules inside the bean and thus ruins the beans, so in this respect freezing would be a bad thing.

You can do some experiments sticking to the scientific method, that'd really let you know what you prefer.  I think in the end it comes down to how much you notice the degree of being stale.  Personally, I don't freeze beans at all because of the thought (fear?) that freezing would ruin the beans (water molecules expanding).  As well, I don't even have enough beans to freeze.

It would interesting to try taking a vacuum bag and freezing that as CafeDJ mentioned.
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2005, 12:22am

I never freeze beans--I understand that the oils sublimate and much of the flavor (and crema capability) is lost. I buy--within a day or two of roasting--only as much as I'm going to use in 7-10 days and store the bag in a ceramic crock with a spring-clip (Mason-jar-style) lid. For drip, in fact, this keeps the beans fresh enough for over two weeks. My mom freezes both beans and ground coffee and I *can* taste the difference.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CouleurCafe

Posted Mon Feb 7, 2005, 11:19am

Ron,
I posted a similar question last week in the general Q&A.

The bottom line is:
1-Freeze within an hour after roasting in airtight/waterproof bags.
2-Thaw at room temp for 1-2h before opening bag.
3-The oil degradation/sublimation/transmutation is bs.

You can find links to Sivetz'a and Jarrett's articles in that thread.
Those guys did some proper testing and both came up with the same protocol for freezing.

Max
hamm
hamm
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto (1st gen)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: I'm not that kind of guy...
Drip: From the faucet occasionally
Roaster: I buy from several
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2005, 6:32pm

I have to agree with most of you here in this thread that it's perfectly fine to freeze beans as long as it's done in the proper manner.

You basically don't want to get any condensation around the beans or allow air to get around them during freezing.  Hence vacuum freezing works rather well.

If I get a few pounds of Black Cat, I receive them about 2 days after roasting.  If I use one pound without ever freezing, they start to go off little by little, noticable only around the tenth day or so.  I get perfectl acceptable results 2-3 weeks later, but they're obviously best within the first week.

I'kk freeze the rest by sealing them in freezer bags and squeezing out as much air as possible.  To thaw, I simply remove the bags from the freezer the night befopre I want to use them, never opening the freezer bags.  You want the condensation to form on the outside of the freezer bag and let it warm up slowly.  By the time the whole thing's at room temperature, the beans emerge amazingly fresh.

The downside is that frozen beans seem to go stale more quickly.  Whereas the unfrozen beans might last me 2 weeks, the thawed beans start losing the freshness after about 9-10 days.

But for the most part, even beans I've had frozen for a month emerge as fresh as the day I froze them.  It's like  freezing loaves of bread.

I thik what Zep was thinking was that you want the beans in an area of the freezer that's away from the door so that by opening the freezer door, you won't get condensation on the bag that will refreeze.  I think that's where freezer burn comes from.  I put the beans in the very back underneath as much frogen stuff as possible, such as bags of vegetables & stuff.  Since my freezer is empty a lot, I sometimes fill a couple containers with ice cubes to put around the beans.

So it can be done with good results. But buying fresh and using those beans within their ideal freshness perioid is always preferable to freezing.  It;s just not practical for those of us who don't live near a decent roaster.

Maybe it's time to look into an Alpenroast or something...

Hamm
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
short_black
short_black

Espresso: La Cim Jun S1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Iberital
Roaster: 1/4 share broken(;-() Imex
Posted Tue Feb 8, 2005, 6:50am

Here is my experience with this:
I usually buy 2 bags of the same freshly roasted (same day) beans. I keep one bag (A) out unfrozen to use and freeze the other (B) in an airtight container. I use bag A within ~10 days. On ~ day 9 I remove B from the freezer and leave to thaw for 2-3 hours before opening and trying. At that point in time there is no question to me that that B is fresher than A, but B is definitely not as fresh as when they were freshly roasted.  The B beans also definitely go staler quicker than A.

For me it's a trade off between going back to the roaster every 10 days or surviving for an extra week or so on beans that are better than if they had never been frozen - but not as good as freshly roasted.

Also most people think plastic freezer bags are airtight which they are not - they do leak over time including letting water vapour in/out. I would recommend a screw top jar with a tough but flexible seal.

Ciao
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Tue Feb 8, 2005, 7:16am

I think if you use vacuum freezing you will find those 2 week old beans much closer to the fresh ones.  At least that's been my experience.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Freeze your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284291982651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+