Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Silvia technique
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Silvia technique  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dolcimelo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra SXCD, Aero Press,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona B
Drip: Not since getting the tap...
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 4:45am
Subject: Re: Silvia technique

LiftOff Said:

I enjoy a latte myself now and again, can appreciate latte art, but the overall quality of the drink is most important and quality suffers greatly the longer that shot sits.

Posted April 20, 2005 link

Yes, but if you are putting the quality of the shot first, then don't add milk to it. If you are adding milk, then the main consideration is to the quality of the milk drink. Milk overwhelms all nuance in the coffee. This doesn't mean the shot doesn't matter, as the better the shot the better the drink. It just means that subtleties in the shot are covered by the milk. So, the first consideration must be the milk. If the shot cools while you are steaming the milk, this is unnoticeable when you add hot, sweet milk. If the milk cools while you are pulling the shot, this is unforgivable, as it will also affect the texture and flavour, while the benefit of the hot shot is unnoticeable. If you are trying to pour pretty patterns as well, then forget it.

Of course, down here in the 240v Antipodes, we don't wait long to steam, but the principle is just as sound.
 View Profile Link to this post
LiftOff
LiftOff

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 5:37am

Hold on a minute here Dolcimelo....

I'm going to start off by saying you are wrong on just about every point you tried to make.

Milk DOES NOT overwhelm all the nuance of espresso. If that was the case, just throw a scoop of F@lgers freeze dried cystals in the bottom of the cup, top it off with some of your beloved steamed milk and be done with it.

You then go on to say that the better the shot, the better the drink.  Yes, you are right on this point however the longer your shot sits, the more it degrades in quality. We are not just talking the heat/temp of the shot.

The first consideration is the shot, not the milk. If the shot has been left to sit for to long I don't care HOW good your milk is, your drink is going to suffer because your shot is old, bitter and acidric and believe me, you CAN taste that through the milk.

AS far as pretty patterns go, you can keep those to yourself. I'd rather have a great unadorned drink, then a crappy pretty drink!

Have a nice day!
dolcimelo

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:02am

LiftOff Said:

Milk DOES NOT overwhelm all the nuance of espresso. If that was the case, just throw a scoop of F@lgers freeze dried cystals in the bottom of the cup, top it off with some of your beloved steamed milk and be done with it.

Posted April 22, 2005 link

Well, although we don't get Folgers here (that's a good thing, right?), for me milk does overwhelm the nuance of espresso. I didn't say I didn't like it at all, but it is the reason so many cafes can serve acceptable (in relative terms) milk coffees while still being unable to produce a drinkable espresso. Milk covers a multitude of sins, as they say.

You then go on to say that the better the shot, the better the drink.  Yes, you are right on this point however the longer your shot sits, the more it degrades in quality. We are not just talking the heat/temp of the shot.The first consideration is the shot, not the milk. If the shot has been left to sit for to long I don't care HOW good your milk is, your drink is going to suffer because your shot is old, bitter and acidric and believe me, you CAN taste that through the milk.

Even milk can't hide a truly bad shot, and a good one will certainly shine through but, IMO, missing a huge part of its flavour and texture profile. If your shots are really turning bitter from sitting, then maybe there are other problems. I haven't had that happen, but then if I make a milk drink, I don't have to wait very long for the steam on my Silvia. So, assuming you can get your steam act together in a reasonable time, that would still be the principle I would follow.

AS far as pretty patterns go, you can keep those to yourself. I'd rather have a great unadorned drink, then a crappy pretty drink!

We agree totally on this point!

Cheers,
Matt
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 10:47am

I pull a blank shot, flip the steam switch and bleed the wand for a second or two and--keeping the steam switch on--close the steam knob.  30 sec. after that, I pull the shot.  I then put the cup up top to keep the shot hot, knock out the puck and run a brief burst through the empty group and wipe it and the pf clean, and replace the pf. I then bleed off all the wet steam; once I get a steady stream of dry steam (roughly 1-1.5 min. after finishing the pull) I steam--stretching to 80F for lattes and 100F for capps, stopping the whirlpool just before the needle hits 160F.  Lukewarm capps and lattes are pet peeves of mine--I don't mind knocking back a shot in a few gulps or sips, but with a long drink I want the experience to last. I find that if I steam first, the milk separates and cools too much, but if I pull first the crema on the shot barely dissipates and it doesn't get too cool.  If I want to put the shot quality first, I pull and drink straight shots.  I suppose I could do a latte macchiato, but it reminds me too much of the way I had to do it on my old "pump toy" machines:  froth the milk in the mug and then brew the shot (or pour it) into the milk. Tasted okay, the way most clueless restaurants and *$ think a cappuccino is supposed to be; but only with microfoam poured in at least an art-attempt do you get the perfect interplay of foam and crema in both taste and texture.  This is true even with a capp.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LiftOff
LiftOff

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 5:10pm

My shots don't get bitter because I don't let them sit around.  I steam first.

I really don't make many milk drinks but I am pulling shots all day long, either at the roasterie for myself, employees and whomever stops by that day on my LM or at home in the morning on Sylvia and now my new Zaffiro.

I'm going to reverse my process, pull the shot first then steam as well as do it my usuall way this weekend for a few friends and we'll see what they have to say.

Thanks everyone for your input!
boeingmyway
boeingmyway

Espresso: SILVIA
Grinder: ROCKY
Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 5:21pm

Hello: Thanks for all the pros and cons of milk first or last. My last 7 or 8 double lattes were made milk last. I like that best because like someone else said, I like it to last longer and want the temp to stay up. The latte I made for myself and my wife this morning were very good. Gina said it was the best latte she has ever had! But then we went out later in the day and bought a new leather couch so I can't count that comment!

I'm new to my Silvia, but not new to drinking good espresso....1979 was my first intro. Back then you couldn't find an espresso in The USA except in Miami Airport! I use to grab a double shot every time I went thru the airport(I'm a pilot, so it was often).

Anyway, all the coffee shops make the milks last, so I guess I'm not the first.

Cheers,

Mike

www.outreachasia.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LiftOff
LiftOff

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 5:33pm

Just because a coffeeshop does it, that does not make it right. You would be amazed at how much training I have to do with new (to me) coffeeshops and cafe's.

I would walk out of any coffeeshop that prepared the milk last, but you guys probably new that allready.

To each his own, if it's good for you than great...!
dolcimelo

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2005, 9:48pm

LiftOff Said:

My shots don't get bitter because I don't let them sit around.  I steam first.

Posted April 22, 2005 link

They really shouldn't get bitter after sitting for a few minutes.

I'm going to reverse my process, pull the shot first then steam as well as do it my usuall way this weekend for a few friends and we'll see what they have to say.

I think you have a very sensible attitude - experiment, don't take anybody's word for it. And I, too, shall try it your way when I next make a milk drink. Incidentally, it may also depend on how many you are making at a time. When I do make them, I am always making two drinks at once so, either way, one of the shots is going to get cooler.

I would walk out of any coffeeshop that prepared the milk last, but you guys probably new that allready.

So would I! They have no excuse, as they can do it all at once.

Matt
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Posted Sat Apr 23, 2005, 9:20pm

My procedure:
Run a few ounces of hot water into a cup until the boiler turns on. (this can even heat up your cup)

I wait about 40-45 seconds and pull the shot. This has been very consistent for me in getting the right temp. ( I think this is called "reverse temp surfing" )

After the shot is done (usually in the 25-30 sec range) flip the steam switch, knock the puck.  

After 30 seconds run the steam until no water is spraying out. Close it and wait another 40 seconds.

My boiler light goes off at about the 50 second mark, so I start steaming before it does that so it stays on the entire duration of frothing my milk.

And that's it. Incredible steam power with the boiler constantly on, and my latte art is finally getting some real definition.
earthena

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 3:49pm

Ah - I needed this technique on my Silvia.  Thank you for solving this long-standing mental mystery.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Silvia technique  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315971851349)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+