Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Let's talk PF baskets!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Let's talk PF...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 13 first page previous page
Author Messages
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 8:42am
Subject: Re: Let's talk PF baskets!

SWR Said:

I wonder if an older (circa Feb-05) Anita came with a different double basket than your Vetrano. My QM basket is an inverted ridged basket (i.e., ridge bulge on the outside), and when I placed it next to the new Synesso basket on a level granite countertop, the QM basket is noticeably taller than the Synesso basket. I'll take some pics if anyone wants to see it.

Posted November 4, 2006 link

You're probably right. I suspect that there is no "QuickMill" basket per se, and either QM or Chris' Coffee may have switched suppliers later in 2005. Here's a pic of my ridged double and triple alongside the new Synesso 14g and 18g ridgeless baskets.

RapidCoffee: FilterBaskets1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 8:48am

As you can see, the 14g Synesso is the same height as the QM basket. The 18g Synesso is practically the same height as my triple, but holds a bit less due to the sloping sides. Like yours, my ridged baskets are "outies" - a good thing. Ridged "innies" can prevent a tightly fitting tamper base from descending into the basket, and interfere with the tamp. Personally, I think ridgeless is the way to go.

Here's another pic (doubles above, triples below).

RapidCoffee: FilterBaskets2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Nov 14, 2006, 7:17pm

Hi Jon,

I received my GPM envelope mailed out on Mon Oct 30th on Thurs Nov 9th.

Thank you!! {:-D

Has anyone here bought or tried out the Synesso 21 gram triple basket? I was worried a little about the 21 gram basket though. No problems, but let me please explain. All my baskets that I have look like shiny SS & you can see the die draw marks on the outside of them where they've gone through the process of the die stamping/forming.

This basket though looks nothing like that, it has a pebbley texture to it all over, like a coarse pebbley zinc coating texture both on the inside & on the sealing surface of the lip of the basket & down the outside of the basket. I thought I may have issues with it sealing up against the grouphead gasket.

My 21 gram triple basket from Espresso PNW has a lip thickness of 112 thou & the Synesso triple has a lip thickness of 130 thou. There's a difference of 18 thou, 1mm is 39.4 thou., so say 39. The difference is like a grouphead gasket at 8mm versus 8.5mm. With this thicker lipped basket, the portafilter when put into position would lock a lot sooner than the other 21 gram basket., but a little more extra force than usual got it to lock at 6:00pm instead of the usual 5:00pm spot.

I just tried out the triple Synesso after two 18 gram double shots (La Marzocco style Ascaso ridgeless basket) pulls with Oct 12th (33 day old roast!) I was gonna through away ( Jan 22/04 green almost 34 months old!!). Same volume as the doubles, so I guess a ristretto.

Only one click coarser on the Rocky & an unbelievable 1st shot that just blew away the doubles!! {:-O {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Wed Nov 15, 2006, 7:58pm

I got one of the 18 grams from JonR10, (I snuck in after the cutoff date  but he was kind enough to send me one anyway.  Thanks JonR)  I have to say I love the basket.  I've never tried an 18g basket before but I have a ridgeless triple.  I never really cared for the triple much.  It was very close to fitting in the stock Expobar bottomless PF, but it worked.  I just never really cared for the shots I was pulling.  That was probably user error though.  I love the 18gram. It looks just like a shorter version of the triple.  It has the same die marks, nothing like what Craig describes.  (Maybe it's because yours is the 21gram Craig.  Not sure.)   It fits perfectly in the PF, and locks in nicely.   I pull pretty close to a 2 oz shot, so I guess that would be slightly ristretto.  Shots are coming out awesome.  My roast is a bit newer than CraigA's (I have been using 3-7 day roasted), but my greens are almost as old.  I have tried Guat, Tanzania PB, both from Aug of 04 (single origin shots, not blended.)  Shots from each bean were very nice.  Both origins had great appearance nice colors, great crema and tasted really good.  

To anyone else who got the new basket, how do you like it?  What comments do you all have?  

Jon R.

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
showing page 13 of 13 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Let's talk PF...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324193954468)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+