Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Tampers.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Tampers.  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CollarGirl

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 5:30pm
Subject: Tampers.

Hey all - I've been working as a barista for over a year now, at the little coffee shop on campus.  We don't have excellent equipment, but my boyfriend and I (I got him a job here... hehehe) are looking to get our own.

Christmas is coming up, and I'm looking for a good, yet fairly inexpensive tamper to buy for him as a Christmas gift.

I was looking at the Skull tamp; what do you all think of that one?  (What's nice is that I can get the 56mm aluminum piston at $15 off, and it can be replaced later with a steel piston.) Okay, it's made of plastic.  Never mind.

I know that the Reg Barber tamps are great, but they're a little expensive for me right now (college budget and all that).

What would you recommend?
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Nov 9, 2006, 11:44pm
Subject: Re: Tampers.

I have the Rosewood handled tamper from Sweet Maria's and really like it.  They also have an all stainless steel tamper.  Very nice prices on nice tampers.  Check them out: Click Here (www.sweetmarias.com)

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeDirtDog
coffeeDirtDog
Expertise: Professional
Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 1:55am

I have been very happy with the ProTamp tamper.  It's very sturdy fo ra cafe and the ergo is good for my hand.  THe bumper tampers are tough but don't look like much though feel great and are easy on the tapping.  If you have a smallish hand, get a smaller handle.  I use a flashlight style grip so I can say that's what works for me.  

I would NOT get wood handles for the shop.   The coffee/hand smells do not add up to good things with the wood in a cafe setting.  For a cafe think durable like stainless steel and you won't be disappointed.  

Luckily I picked up on home-barista.com's tamper road show this week so I get to evaluate a dozen over the next week.

www.barismo.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mikep
mikep
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Red Expobar OC / Gaggia...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/ Solis Maestro...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 8:06am

CollarGirl Said:

Hey all - I've been working as a barista for over a year now, at the little coffee shop on campus...  

Posted November 9, 2006 link

What campus (if I may be so nosey)?  
Are you just using the thing attached to the grinder now?

I am currently using a compressore tamp from espressoparts.com, I really like the feel. I also own the pro-tamp mentioned above, it is very nice.

The thing about tampers is that how it fits your hand is such a matter of personal preference, it is nice to be able at least handle a few in person before buying.

I go to the Monadnock Intelligentsia at least once a week on my lunch hour, If you want to meet there at some point I could bring 4 different tampers for you to see (and they have Reg Barbers for sale at the shop).

http://www.smallcoffee.blogspot.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
CollarGirl

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2006, 8:40am

I'm at Illinois Institute of Technology.  Our little shop is called Global Grounds.  We don't have terribly good coffee, due to a fairly... poor... machine.  (Wish it was better.  We have great beans.  And an okay grinder.)

We actually removed the thing on the grinder.  I thought it was kind of stupid.  We use the Pro Tamp tamper, as DirtDog suggested (and thanks for your other comments).

The tamp I buy will be used primarily by my boyfriend, in the coffee shop setting.  Would you still suggest a non-wooden handle?  (Also, after talking to him, I've noticed that he mostly cares about the weight of the tamper, and the Pro Tamp fits his hand well...)

I think I'll have to take a trip out to the Intelligentsia.  I've never been there, but it seems really cool.  Shoot me an email and perhaps we can arrange a day and time.  (heavenlybitter (at) gmail (dot) com)
Psyd
Psyd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Tue Nov 14, 2006, 6:44pm

After having the Tamper Roadshow at my house (I got ot be first as the inspiraton of the inspiration!) I have to say that it's like buying someone underwear.  You can easily buy something that'll look good on them, but if you want it to be comfortable, you should get their input on it.  Get a card that has a handwritten 'gift-certificate' for a free tamper, with a picture of the most expensive tamper you can afford.  Folks will hardly ever ask for the Caddy if there is a picture of the Toyota on the gift certificate...  OTOH, if you're not ready to spend anything in the neighborhood of fifty bucks, perhaps contacting one of the fine suporters of this site and asking if they have an actual gift certificate?

OYAH, I have a light-up skull (the LED's in the eyes light up when you push the button, and slowly dim again) that has weight to it, and could easily have a base atached to it!

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Tampers.  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251873970032)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+