Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
how long do roasted beans stay fresh (enough)?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how long do...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bloocanary
bloocanary
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: solis maestro
Vac Pot: yama (imploded)
Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 10:22pm
Subject: how long do roasted beans stay fresh (enough)?

i know i need to roast my own beans right before grinding to get the full freshness ... but if i order, say, 4-day old roasted beans from espresso vivace ... how long can i expect those beans to stay "pretty fresh", and "acceptably fresh"?

lots of people seem to sing the praises of their beans by mail, which would lead me to assume that they stay reasonably fresh over time ... even drinking 4 double shots per day, at 0.5 oz per double shot ... a couple pounds of beans would last 16 days.  i'm not sure how much espresso people out there drink, but 4 doubles sounds like a lot of caffeine ... it would be closer to 2-3 for me (or about a month for 2 pounds).

also, any tips for prolomnging the life, other than the standard "airtight tupperware in cool dark cabinet"?

thanks,
j
 View Profile Link to this post
coffee_wine_ismylife

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Bialetti Moka Pot
Drip: NONE
Roaster: The Genei, Gene Cafe
Posted Sat Dec 6, 2003, 7:41am
Subject: Re: how long do roasted beans stay fresh (enough)?

For best results (after roasting): is about no more than 7 days or so (in my opinion).

"...how long do roasted beans stay fresh (enough)?" --- With my experiments & opinion up to about 3 weeks or so.  But, they do begin to loose it.  But, still good enough.

I keep in air-tight coffee bins.

Hope that helps.  Others will chime in as well, I am sure...

P.S.: I would roast & rest the beans for 24-36 hours.  I would not recommend roasting & grinding right away.

Travel, Coffee, Wine, & Hockey is my life!
"Cause An Uproar"
Lzzy Hale, "Here Is To Us, Here Is To You, Fill The Glass"
corey

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso, Marzocco
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Posted Mon Dec 8, 2003, 11:08pm

Hi J, generally beans stay fresh for about a week. I've  found a distinct diffference in freshness after 7 days. After that they are still usable but start to deteriorate. I have also have heard that it is best to leave the beans for approx 24 hours to let them de-gas properly. Apparently you can still use the beans within the first 24 hours but the bean profile needs to be handled differently. I keep my beans in a vacuum sealed plastic container. It has a manual pump on it which you can use to remove air from the container. Hope this helps.

Corey

EPIC ESPRESSO
5/1297 HAY STREET
WEST PERTH WA
corey@epicespresso.com.au
www.epicespresso.com.au
bloocanary
bloocanary

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: solis maestro
Vac Pot: yama (imploded)
Posted Mon Dec 8, 2003, 11:23pm

cool, thanks ... yah it's quite helpful.  i'm hearing about that range -- one week for "fresh-ish" beans, then deterioration beyond that, with still decent coffee for about another week after that.

i'm calculating in terms of mail ordering from places like vivace ... they ship the same day as roasting, so assuming it takes 2-3 days, that gives me about 5 day of pretty fresh roast, then a week (stretch to 2?) of decent roast.  not bad.  

at 1/2 oz per double shot, 2 pounds would yield 64 double shots ... at 3 drinks per day, that's 3 weeks, minus a few days spillage, mismeasurement, etc ... just about right!

of course, people have said good things about some trader joe's beans ... nothing like premium, but at a little over $4 per pound for "pretty good" ... not bad.

j
alanmushnick
alanmushnick

Espresso: Vetrano, gaggia espresso
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Krups aroma control
Roaster: I still don't do this.
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 2:39am

I am still confused about the best way to store roasted coffee. Ken Davids says to keep it in the freezer http://www.coffeereview.com/reference.cfm?ID=158
The Vivace people say the frige is ok.
If I buy extra stuff, how should I store it to stay as fresh as possible?
What is the point of these 1 kg bags?

Alan Mushnick
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
alanmushnick
alanmushnick

Espresso: Vetrano, gaggia espresso
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Krups aroma control
Roaster: I still don't do this.
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 2:41am

Trader Joes is my favorite store, but the roasting dates on their coffee was a few months ago. Then again, maybe 3 month old coffee is no worse than 3 week old stuff.

Alan Mushnick
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
mgrignan

Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 3:02am

When packed under vacuum or flushed with nitrogen, beans seem to keep pretty well - but only until you first open the package. After that, taste goes downhill fast. So, if you're buying professionally sealed beans, they may well keep a month or more after roasting, but once you open the package, you'll still need to finish them off fast before they go stale.
In my experience, the freezer is a bad idea. Even if you try your best to make sure no air is left in the package, opening and closing the cold bag nearly always leads to excess moisture. And if you freeze beans in a plain unsealed roll-top bag (the kind you might get from your local roaster) - ick, freezer burn.
These are all just my observations... YMMV.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffee_wine_ismylife

Grinder: Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Bialetti Moka Pot
Drip: NONE
Roaster: The Genei, Gene Cafe
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 4:33am

I read Davids books.  He says, if you must, then freeze.  But, best in air-tight bins.  And, best stored in a  wine cellar-type atmosphere.

Travel, Coffee, Wine, & Hockey is my life!
"Cause An Uproar"
Lzzy Hale, "Here Is To Us, Here Is To You, Fill The Glass"
Mikeftrevino
Mikeftrevino
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Cruddy stove top
Grinder: cuisinart burr
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Krups
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 1:10pm

I believe the idea behind freezing is to keep moisture to a minimum. When the freezer is shut, the water vapor freezes and is not prone to collect on beans, whereas in the fridge the temp is above freezing and liquid water vapor is allowed to circulate and find it's way into the bag.
No matter how you look at it, air is the major deteriorating factor (unless you live in a very humid part of the world. Hello Mississippi and Louisiana) and is ever pesent.

Barista Guild Member #170
Baristas seem like shots of espresso if left to sit too long.
They grow cold, bitter and unpalatable.
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Tue Dec 9, 2003, 2:44pm

Mikeftrevino Said:

I believe the idea behind freezing is to keep moisture to a minimum. When the freezer is shut, the water vapor freezes and is not prone to collect on beans, whereas in the fridge the temp is above freezing and liquid water vapor is allowed to circulate and find it's way into the bag.
No matter how you look at it, air is the major deteriorating factor (unless you live in a very humid part of the world. Hello Mississippi and Louisiana) and is ever pesent.

Posted December 9, 2003 link

Actually, according to Barry Jarrett - roaster of 15 years and owner/operator of Riley's Coffee in Southern Illinois (just east of St. Louis) - freezing is to stop the degassing process, and is only effective if done within an hour or so of roasting (before degassing starts in earnest).

Freezing - according to Barry's tests - will arrest the degassing for up to 6 weeks. Based on instore tests, once degassing has begun in earnest (certainly would apply to mailed beans), the staling process continues even in the freezer, whereas pre-degassing freezing arrests degassing till thawing for up to 6 weeks. Some have claimed to have stretched this to 8 weeks of freezing.

It doesn't require a commercial freezer either.

I have tried this three times now when preparing for vacations, Christmas gift boxes etc. and when we used the beans, we could not distinguish that we had frozen them (and this tongue does recognize stale or poorly... roasted beans). My beans were frozen within 30 minutes of roasting and held 3-4 weeks.

It's a hotly debated topic, and Barry is one of the only guys who I know who has done semi-scientific testing of theory in this and other experimental areas.

By the way...his 4 group LaMarzocca has 3 boilers, and is PIDed to within a degree so they can adjust the temperatures of the E-61 groups (in pairs) for different beans. Best coffee in a shop I've ever had.

The time he freezes is around Christmas when his 5 kilo roaster will not allow him to keep up with customer demand on the fly, because he also operates a retail shop and roasts for other buisnesses, or when he has to roast 5 kilos (10 pounds) of specialty beans or blends that he can not sell quickly enough to prevent staling.

He believes that if you order coffee from a roaster and it arrives within 2-3 days, it's too late to have any advantage by freezing it (again he has tested this since he mails coffee and home made fudge all over the world).

L  a  r  r  Y

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how long do...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.317995071411)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+