Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How to Recognize Blonding
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to Recognize...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
FlyRod
FlyRod
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: MACAP MC4C83R Doserless...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Milita Pour Over
Roaster: Behmor 1600; Wagner 775...
Posted Sun Oct 7, 2007, 12:23pm
Subject: How to Recognize Blonding

I have read a few tutorials on just exactly when blonding occurs..it seems to range from "shots start to get lighter" to "a tan color showing some transparency" It seems to me that it is probably somewhere in the middle. I just want to get good idea at when I should stop my shot so I can get all the other variables down. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even from Dallas Cowboy fans. Hehe.
 View Profile Link to this post
Lips

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Linea
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Fetco, French Press,...
Roaster: Ambex LM-15
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2007, 9:19pm
Subject: Re: How to Recognize Blonding

Your shot is not going to be the same shade of rich red-brown until the blonding comes on suddenly. The trasition is gradual. I've found that new baristas want to stop their shots too soon. Basically once the espresso streams have become markedly closer to beige or white than dark brown than you have blonding. Usually you can preempt it by watching the movement and viscosity of your streams. Shakey, wavering streams are usually a sign that your shot is nearing its end.
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2007, 7:58am

I agree with Lips, I used to be prone to stopping too soon just as the strem would begin to change.  The best thing might be to run a shot into a large cup or the drip tray and watch it progress while running for a very very long time.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dotrs

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Silvia, PID; Espresso Deluxe
Grinder: Innova I2
Drip: Cafetiere
Roaster: iRoast 2
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2007, 3:05pm

This question has me intrigued... and is one that i haven't put much thought into. As far as my current routine goes i generally only think of blonding problems when there is a lighter coloured stain left where the streams hit the crema - i.e., such a shot i would cast drainward, otherwise anything goes; it's rare i ever notice any problems with shots that pass my 'intuative judgement test' (that's it's official name folks...)
What are the pros/cons of allowing more or less blonding (while maintaining an acceptable shot time). Any chance someone could post a vid of what they percieve as proper judgement on the issue?

Cheers
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2007, 4:15pm

dotrs Said:

This question has me intrigued... and is one that i haven't put much thought into. As far as my current routine goes i generally only think of blonding problems when there is a lighter coloured stain left where the streams hit the crema - i.e., such a shot i would cast drainward, otherwise anything goes; it's rare i ever notice any problems with shots that pass my 'intuative judgement test' (that's it's official name folks...)
What are the pros/cons of allowing more or less blonding (while maintaining an acceptable shot time). Any chance someone could post a vid of what they percieve as proper judgement on the issue?

Cheers

Posted October 14, 2007 link

Well letting a shot run too long will make the shot more diluted (thin) and bitter.  Blonding is the visual cue that all the good stuff has been extracted and the extraction should be stopped.  Videos also won't be of much use because everyone's computer screens are different and you add to that video lighting and it will become uneasy to spot the subtleties involved.  It's more a practice thing that a barista just has to get used to spotting/tasting.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Lips

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Linea
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Drip: Fetco, French Press,...
Roaster: Ambex LM-15
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:07am

Eggers' idea is good. Pull a shot and observe it from its thick oozing start to its trasparent watery finish. Adjust your grind so the espresso appears at the proper time. Then pull shots to various times and taste them. It can be important to see what that micro-amount of super viscous espresso tastes like and also the blonding to blonde shot.
petuniaii

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Macap M4, Zass 161, Baratza...
Drip: Melitta cone, Aeropress
Roaster: air popper
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2007, 1:17pm

I have a hard time judging this too, as and my machine is black plastic with kind of a "closed" profile, and the light in my kitchen isn't good to begin with.  What I've been doing is waiting til I think it's getting close, then rotate the cup a little bit and see if I can see a light stain.  It's usually too cramped to get a good look, so I often go ahead and shut it off a few seconds after this anyway.  Then I pull the cups out for a good look and taste - I don't mind a *little* blonding/bitterness, as my shots suffer much more from sourness.

Lately towards the end of my shots, I notice that the topmost bit of crema (< 1mm) is of a lighter color than the rest.  Is this blonding?  I hope so, because it's a lot easier to spot!  :P

Today was interesting - I was pulling my second shot (the first having been, of course, too sour) and realized about halfway through that I'd forgotten to hit the steam button (this usually being necessary since my machine tends to run cold).  So I was prepared for something possibly even worse than the first shot, but instead I got what may have been my first lungo!  I kept watching for the little light-colored membrane to appear at the top, but it never did.  What's more, it actually *tasted* good, too.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to Recognize...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264009952545)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+