Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Water question
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Water question  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mizspresso
Mizspresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MyPressi
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Macap...
Drip: Bodum (press)
Roaster: Sonofresco
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2007, 3:54pm
Subject: Water question

I am considering buying a new machine needing plumbing. I won't be plumbing it immediately, though, as I am hoping to remodel the kitchen soon and will do the direct plumb as part of the plan.

So, this morning I looked into bottled water delivery in order to use a flow jet and find that I have several water choices. There are four choices

Drinking water
Spring water
Distilled water
Fluoridated water

I am thinking my best choices are either Drinking, or Distilled, but I don't really know. Anybody know what the best choice is?
 View Profile Link to this post
DonTMan
DonTMan
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee Deluxe w/PID
Grinder: Rocky, SMP
Vac Pot: Sunbeam
Drip: Zojirushi, Pour-over
Roaster: Whirly-Pop, SC/TO, 5 lb Drum
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2007, 4:13pm
Subject: Re: Water question

Mizspresso Said:

Drinking water
Spring water
Distilled water
Fluoridated water

I am thinking my best choices are either Drinking, or Distilled, but I don't really know. Anybody know what the best choice is?

Posted November 17, 2007 link

I guess you do have 4 choices.  To inexpertly answer your question you really have 2.  Distilled water should not and in many cases cannot be used with Espresso.  It poorly extracts the solids from the coffee.  Some plumbable units actually have fill sensors that are tricked by distilled water so your machine wont know it is full.

Second, you do NOT want to be running Flouride through your machine or your coffee. Yech.

This leaves Spring and Drinking.  

Spring water usually has lots of minerals. Good for consumption, good for taste, good for extracting the juicy delicious bits from the coffee.  Terrible for the machine.  You will need to descale well and often.  

Some experts actually recommend a combination of distilled and spring.  The spring to extract your coffee well, the distilled to be kind to your machine.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that that Drinking Water is a combo of Spring and distilled and would be, for that reason, your perfect choice.  

Of course I am not a true expert when it comes to water.

Don Cummings
MatthewBrinski

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2007, 4:25pm

Don't use distilled. As stated above, you need at least some mineral content ... preferably 5 grains (90 mg/l) with as neutral a pH as posssible. When looking at the hardness for possible water to use, reference the above values to the calcium or magnesium content of the water.

Matthew Brinski
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2007, 4:40pm

The Insanely Long Water FAQ
Mizspresso
Mizspresso

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2007, 5:56pm

That is insanely long, but covers just about everything! Thanks a lot.

-Barbara
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007, 1:37pm

Mizspresso Said:

That is insanely long, but covers just about everything! Thanks a lot.

-Barbara

Here's my short version, which is much less informative, but gets right to the point.

If the water tastes good, it will probably make good coffee.

The water in my area tastes good, so that's what I use and the price can't be beat.  I have a pourover machine so I just filter it through a brita first.  I descale every time I change my group gasket, so scale buildup is not something I worry about anyway.
Mizspresso
Mizspresso

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2007, 1:08am

Hi Mike,
Scale is something I have been worrying about, though I don't think the tap water in my area is very hard. I have been using Brita filtered so far on my little pourover and things taste fine.

I thought I would stay away from the 'Spring' option because of the prevalence of minerals. The 'Drinking' option is sounding good to me as it seems to be distilled with some added spring. Sheesh, water as a 'blend'.
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2007, 9:02am

Mizspresso Said:

Hi Mike,
Scale is something I have been worrying about, though I don't think the tap water in my area is very hard. I have been using Brita filtered so far on my little pourover and things taste fine.

I thought I would stay away from the 'Spring' option because of the prevalence of minerals. The 'Drinking' option is sounding good to me as it seems to be distilled with some added spring. Sheesh, water as a 'blend'.

Posted November 22, 2007 link

If you have good local tap water, I suggest trying it.  You can certainly try other water sources and see if you can tell the difference.  Let taste be your judge.

If you are descaling twice per year, there's no reason to worry about scale buildup even if you leave your machine on 24/7.  My machine was several years old when I got it, and had probably never been descaled.  I've been using it for many years now and have no scale problems.  A buddy of mine is in a similar situation and has a regular descale routine like I do.  He had to replace the heating element in his boiler.   When we cracked open the boiler there was absolutely no evidence of scale buildup.  We were both pretty amazed at this.  Regular descaling works, and it works well.

Depending on the mineral content, you may be able to get away with descaling only once per year.  Plumbed in machines are a bit harder to descale unless you have an external tank option.  I'm not really big on plumbed in machines for home use, but rotary pump machines are generally plumbed in, and a rotary pump is certainly a nice thing to have.
ANON

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PLEASE
Grinder: DELETE
Vac Pot: MY
Drip: USER
Roaster: ACCOUNT
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2007, 5:11pm

I was in the same situation as you a couple months ago when I purchased my Andreja - I used bottled water for a couple months, but decided to move the plumbing in ahead of the kitchen renos when refilling the reservoir all the time got tired.  (Found that I was using the machine even more than I had initially thought!)

Scale was a concern, as our water is hard, so I installed a whole house water softener, and while I was at it, installed a valve to route upstairs to the kitchen, which I then connected to the Andreja direct connect kit.  It was an easy job, so redoing some of it when we actually get around to the kitchen renos won't be a big issue.
Kaa

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2007, 1:41pm

DonTMan Said:

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that that Drinking Water is a combo of Spring and distilled and would be, for that reason, your perfect choice.

I'll take your bet :D

Generally speaking, to label something "spring water" the water must actually come directly from some natural source.  "Drinking water" has no such requirement and is almost always nothing but filtered tap water. Much cheaper than combining spring and distilled.

As has been pointed out, distilled water has an awful taste and is unsuitable for making any kind of drinks, coffee included.

You may want to experiment with different water to check if it affects the taste of your coffee. Water hardness certainly affects the taste of tea, for example.

Kaa
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Water question  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.326479196548)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+