Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Distilled Water - How Safe for an Espresso Machine
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Distilled Water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mark08859
Mark08859
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia PID
Grinder: Ditting KE640 Vario
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:15am
Subject: Distilled Water - How Safe for an Espresso Machine

I've been seeing two different schools of thought regarding distilled water.

Some say that the low mineral content is bad as it is harder for most machines to measure water level. This, of course, could lead to damage by having the machine run with no water in the boiler (presuming no shut-off).

Others claim that the low mineral content can add a lot to a machine's lifespan. Also, descaling isn't needed as often.

So, who's right?
 View Profile Link to this post
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:25am
Subject: Re: Distilled Water - How Safe for an Espresso Machine

"Pure" distilled water, has zero mineral content, and does not conduct electricity.  No mineral content...no scale (also tastes lousy).

The autofill boilers in most machines use a probe that touches the water in the boiler to ground out, and this requires electrical conductivity to work.  But with non-conductive water, this will not lead to the boiler being empty, rather this will lead the boiler autofill not turning off...also a bad thing.

Both comments are mostly correct though.

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
JonathanSwan

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Program V,...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolley
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:49am

Mark,

In fact, machines with a water level probe are not able to detect the amount of water in the boiler filled with mineral free (pure distilled or Reverse Osmosis) water.  The affect is that the machine's pump will continue to pump water into the boiler which can cause damage.  However, lower mineral-content water is good for your machine because it lacks the minerals that cause scale build up (ie calcium.)  Scale build up in machines is one of the biggest culprits in the reduced lifespan of a machine.  It is recommended that distilled water be used in machines with thermo-block boilers because they typically lack auto-fill probes.  HX (heat exchanger) machines typically feater an auto-fill probe, these machines work best in cooperation with a softening filter.  check out CUNO Filters like these, reduce the mineral content to a specific acceptable level for espresso machines and coffee machines.   Many machines also come with their own version of a water softener and often times they are rechargeable.  

Grant's right, both thoughts are correct for the most part.

Jonathan Swan
Commercial Sales
Whole Latte Love
www.wholelattelove.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calmaniac
calmaniac

Espresso: Rancilio Rialto
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:19am

Thanks for your informed responses. Your points about DI water not conducting sufficiently to allow sensors to detect the water level makes good sense.  Often this question gets answered with some questionable advice about distilled water being "hungry" and attacking metals.

I have been using deionized water for the past 10 years in my Rancilio Rialto (I like the taste!) and have had no problems with any detector or with corrosion, but as you mention there is no autofill probe in this unit.

Question: I am considering a La Spaziale Vivaldi II. Does that machine have any such sensors that will require some ions in the water to function?

Thanks!  

Maniac
calmaniac
calmaniac

Espresso: Rancilio Rialto
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:37am

I saw this interesting tidbit on the Too Much Coffee site. It seems the user had had OK results on an Expobar, although he does not note the model....

Click on the "Click Here" to download the pdf.

Click Here (www.coffeeman.homecall.co.uk)
DarkMajestic

Espresso: Quckmill Vetrano
Grinder: Macap M4 and Capresso...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: None
Roaster: Behmor & Cajun Pot.
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2007, 6:40am

Hello ..

I am wondering why you use distilled water at all ?

Hard water I have found makes flat espresso so I use softened water but not distilled. Many references say distilled water also makes flat espresso.

Have you compared your espresso to that made with soft water ?

Cheers ...
Alfonso

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Cremina '67, Unic Diva Pro,...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Rancilio Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Hario Technica , AeroPress
Drip: Melitta Clarity, Bodum...
Roaster: OvenToaster Drumroaster,...
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2007, 7:20am

I have been using R.O. water for my Unic Diva Pro HX machine for almost a year now and never had any problems.

I already had a filtration system in the kitchen so I just hooked up the machine with a T.
It never occurred to me that it could cause a problem with the water probe.

I guess I've been lucky . :)
faaparasite

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2007, 3:14pm

IMO distilled water shouldn't be used if only for taste.

Descaling is not a big deal on most machines and if properly done, you will never have any scale related failures.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Distilled Water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249737024307)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+