Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Salter scales = insensitive, inaccurate, heinous?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Salter scales =...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TagTeamJesus

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM GS/3 AV; PID Silvia
Grinder: Kony E; Macap MC4
Drip: v60
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2008, 3:02am
Subject: Salter scales = insensitive, inaccurate, heinous?

I usually post very cheery threads, but I am fed up with Salter digital scales, so this is the first time I need to throw on a little heat.  Can you feel my rage?  Raaaar!  Salter, raarrrr!

Ok, I put a question mark in the title of this thread in case it's me, but I don't think it is.  It seems to me that Salter scales are really, really bad.  Given my new set-up, it's glaringly obvious that my bad shots are now attributed to two things:

--my feeble tamping skills
--Salter scales seem to pull any random number out of a hat

I work at a place that sells Salter, so I get a good discount on these things.  It was worth the shot.  I first purchased the model # 3003.  The one so many seem to rave about because it's so beautiful and has such a beautiful glass top.  And upon this glass top, one can weigh the same amount of coffee and have it come out to be either 15 g, 24 g, 13 g, 20 g, depending on which time you weigh it.  Oh that beautiful glass top.  I wonder how much it weighs.  Shall we ask the Salter?

But, wait, how can the same amount of coffee weigh something different every time it's reweighed?  Hmmmm....so I returned it and got the model # 1250.  This one's a diet scale with a finer resolution of .1 g.  Sounds promising at first.  And now I really mean it that when I weigh a load of coffee on this thing, it typically goes like this: first weighing, 14 g.  Second weighing: 9g.  Third weighing: 15g.  Fourth weighing: 15.5g.  Sixth weighing: 15.2g.  

RAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR! Salter!  Which is it?  

As it turns out, the owner of Blue Bottle Coffee here in San Francisco came into the store I work at in search of a scale.  I warned him I hadn't had good luck with these things, but he said he just needed one to get by for the day.  When I checked in with him a week later, I asked him about his experience with the thing.  His response: "Oh, terrible scale.  Wonderful customer service."  Well, I have room to grow for my customer service, but Salter has more than enough room to grow.  And these things aren't inexpensive.  

In conclusion: what is a good scale?  I need a new one.  I want compact, fine resolution, accurate, consistent.  I grind into a tupperware container resting on a scale and need one to serve this purpose.
 View Profile Link to this post
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2008, 4:34am
Subject: Re: Salter scales = insensitive, inaccurate, heinous?

Always have on hand a set of standard weights when using any scale.

I use an Ohaus for many of my kitchen needs.  Go navigate around that website and get yourself a real lab quality scale.
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Feb 19, 2008, 8:47am

I've been using a salter digital scale for a few years now with no problems, but maybe this evening I'll  check to see how consistent it is. I use it to weigh the beans before I grind, and weighing green beans for roasting.
tjkoko

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2008, 8:50am

The first Ohaus I purchased way back in '79 was inaccurate by 7 grams when placing a standard weight of 50g on the pan.  The unit was exchanged - no questions asked - for an accurate one.

Get yourself a set of standard weights to insure the ultimate in accuracy.
TagTeamJesus

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2008, 11:58pm

thanks for your replies.  

tjkoko, I contacted Ohaus, and they will be responding to my e-mail soon.  I like the features of their CL201 model.  Looks like it's a similar size, weight capacity, and resolution as my current Salter with the additional feature of being able to weigh stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with MyWeigh scales?  I am a little skeptical because they also feature the very handsome-looking glass top scales.  And I'm through being lured in by aesthetics.  I want a tool that works.
tjkoko

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 4:28am

MY preference is to avoid low-end digital scales and digital thermometers.
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 8:43am

Some very good deals on scale packages here:
Click Here (stores.ebay.com)
These prices are half what he charges on his regular website for just the scale & pad! I have the 600 & it holds a reading with no fluctuation. Only negatives are the tiny pressure sensitive controls & the auto shutoff in 30 seconds.

John
JavaJones
JavaJones

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia avec PID
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Bunn BTX-B, Bodum French...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Freshroast Plus...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 5:52pm

TagTeamJesus Said:

thanks for your replies.  

Does anyone have any experience with MyWeigh scales?  I am a little skeptical because they also feature the very handsome-looking glass top scales.  And I'm through being lured in by aesthetics.  I want a tool that works.

Posted February 19, 2008 link

I have a MyWeigh scale. Its' the KD7000 and I've had zero complaints with it. Works as advertised. I've had it for about a year or so.

Jerry
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Feb 20, 2008, 6:31pm

Hey Jerry,

I can attest to the accuracy & quality of the MyWeigh scale, & the Canadian seller Digital Scales Canada. I have & use for my green coffee business the UltraShip75 I've had since Oct 2005 & I'm right to the gram when my parcels are weighed a the Post Office on their government scales that cost something like $800!

I've also went to a scale company that has government certified calibration weights (very expensive!!) to check my scales accuracy one time, with a 10 kg weight & it was right on the money, pretty incredible for a now $59.90 Can shipping scale that cost me $86.75 then., & adapter extra! {:-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TagTeamJesus

Posted Thu Jul 10, 2008, 2:16am

Well....

After some time, I finally got an Ohaus scale...the first time I tried to order it, Ohaus did not get back to me.  The second time (months later), they got back, but were a little strange in handling the call.  A little rushed, a little defensive, and little unknowledgable about what would be best for weighing grounds as they fell out of my grinder.  Nonetheless, the rep did give me some dealers to call, and I found a very knowledgable dealer.

The model I got is a tad on the expensive side, but it's already making me much happier than the Salters:
Click Here (www.affordablescales.com)

It's very compact and weighs to the 10th of a gram.  I hated how if I bumped my Tupperware on the Salter, it had no idea what it was looking at anymore.  18 grams became 26.  If I bump the container on the Ohaus, it goes right back to where it left off.  18.1 grams, *bump*, 18.1 grams.  Relief.  I think this scale still has a little bit of a discrepancy between weighing the grounds little by little as they fall from the grinder vs. weighing them all at once.  Maybe .3 grams difference, or so.  But, it's much better than the Salter.  And re-weighing the grounds all at once turns out to be the same measurement, whereas the Salter showed something different every time.

Ok, not the best scale I can imagine, but I am quite happy with this little Ohaus.  This is a real tool.  Now, Terry, as you said, I need to get a standard weight to calibrate this.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Salter scales =...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272988080978)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+