Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Single vs double spout, is there a difference?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Single vs double...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cai

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: zaffiro
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: chemex, Krups Moka
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 7:39am
Subject: Single vs double spout, is there a difference?

Greetings,

Is there a difference between pulling shots with a single vs a double spout and if so what is the reason?

Thanks,

Cliff Isackson
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bish
bish

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Maestro+
Vac Pot: No counter space left!!!
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe, FrankenRoaster
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 8:36am
Subject: Re: Single vs double spout, is there a difference?

cai Said:

Is there a difference between pulling shots with a single vs a double spout and if so what is the reason?

Posted February 15, 2004 link

The use of a single or double spout is simply a matter of delivery into the cup(s).  The double will allow you the option to deliver a double shot split into two cups.  In my experience, most here are drinking doubles anyway and the double spout can be an inconvenience if the cup is slightly too narrow or the spouts set too wide.  For me, this can be an inconvenience when pulling a double ristretto into a two ounce cup.  The down-side of a single spout is (depending on tamping style) the inability to tamp without some type of levelling support.

There's nothing deep and meaningful about the spout, it is what it is... and that's all (imho).  Some here will suggest the total removal of the spout to allow for greater clearance under the portafilter is the way to go(pulling shots staight into a larger mug for americanos etc). I see that as a very practical suggestion to solve a specific issue.

I prefer using a double spout mainly because I can let the portafilter sit on the counter without any additional support (I dose into a bowl and then spoon into the basket).  I use a double spout on my LM 15deg portafilter to split a triple shot when making cappuccino for two.  I use a single spout on my Rancilio commercial for my straight espresso/ristretto.  The only reason I'm using the single spout is because I can't get the !*&$# thing off! When I win the battle and it gets removed, I will replace it with my adjustable double spout set to pour on one side - the best of both worlds :)

Cheers
peter
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 12:54pm

I was thinking about this the other day...

I can envision a scenario pulling a double shot with a single spout and with very fresh beans where the crema production overwhelms the ability for a single spout to evacuate the portafilter fast enough, resulting in a "back up" and some sort of overextraction. But it's theoretical at this point. I have not tried to produce the problem. I think at this point I'll agree with bish that it's subjective.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
49express

Espresso: Francis Francis X5
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Braun
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 1:10pm

I've taken to tamping right into the filter (nice flat bottom) before putting into the portafilter.  Solves that problem (I took off the double thing).
ljguitar
ljguitar
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulsar
Grinder: Mazzer SuperJolly • Baratza
Drip: Bunn • AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor•Variacs
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 1:27pm

cai Said:

Greetings,

Posted February 15, 2004 link

Hi Cliff...
I use the no spout option, which equates to a single spout with the added benefit of more space under the PF to put cups or mugs into, and zero risk of the aforementioned and highly speculative untested theory of somehow interefering with the pour by using a single spout. Spouts on better PFs just unscrew, or they do with help (wrapping the PF in a towel and carefully using pliers for leverage).

Also, it is harder to pull shots from a double spout into smaller single shot glasses.

Before I went spout-less, it was hard not to obsess over uneven pours, even though it made no difference to the taste of shots.

It does change the appearance of the espresso coming out of the spout when there is no spout. The column of coffee is lighter in front than back on our machine, especially if it is a foamy blend like Liquid Amber.

L  a  r  r  Y

L  a  r  r  Y          J

<°)))><
Woody
Woody

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 2:48pm

Dana says:

I can envision a scenario pulling a double shot with a single spout and with very fresh beans where the crema production overwhelms the ability for a single spout to evacuate the portafilter fast enough, resulting in a "back up" and some sort of overextraction.

Regardless of using a single or double spout, the hole in the bottom of the portafilter remains the same, so there should be no difference in evacuation.

Jon
micman75
micman75

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Imat/Nemox Lux
Roaster: Chief Popcorn Popper
Posted Sun Feb 15, 2004, 9:39pm

how do you get the basket into the PF without disrupting the tamped coffee?
HB

Posted Mon Feb 16, 2004, 6:09am

Remove the basket retention clip.  Then the basket drops in and removes easily.  I have extra baskets and dump them into the sink, then clean up later.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Single vs double...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284713983536)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+