Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Best way to preserve beans
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Best way to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bearsniper

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Oct 4, 2009, 11:33pm
Subject: Best way to preserve beans

I will admit that I know very little and am just getting started. I was wondering if there are any confirmed ways to keep beens fresh, even if, heaven forbid, longer than two weeks. Also how much of a difference does two weeks really make?
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 4:19am
Subject: Re: Best way to preserve beans

Two weeks from roast date the beans will be going stale or already there. To keep roasted beans longer freezing will do the trick, I like to break beans up into 1/2lb  vacuum packs and put in the deep freezer but a kitchen freezer will work for well but colder and staple is going to be better.
SpeedStar
SpeedStar

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Mini
Drip: Aeropress, Cuisinart
Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 8:05am

I use the same method and have had good results.  I break them into .5lb ziplock bags and then into a second ziplock.  I do this after two to three days to de-gas so that when I open them they will have a day to thaw and be ready to use.  Freeze once and when you remove them from the freezer let them thaw completely before opening the bag.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 8:17am

Similar:  I use these 0.5L canning jars, but you can use similar Mason jars, double Ziplock bags (one inside the other) or whatever . . .

My coffee arrives from whatever roaster I use within 2-3 days via USPS Priority mail (5-7 days via UPS or FedEx Ground).  I generally buy two pounds at a time, and break the shipment down into the jars -- I find they hold approximately six ounces each -- and freeze them.  Then, I just take one jar out of the freezer as needed -- OK, usually the night before it's actually needed -- so that by the morning, the coffee has reached room temperature and is ready to go.  Make sure you leave the jar/bag/container sealed while it defrosts, so the beans will stay nice and dry, without condensation forming on the beans.

Remember:
  1. You don't want to freeze-thaw-refreeze beans; break down the beans into quantities you will use within just 2-3 days.
  2. Some roasters offer discounts when buying in 5-lb. lots, so freezing is the only way to really make that economical in a home environment.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
fnacer

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 8, 2009, 8:20pm

I've always understood that freezing was not the best thing for coffee beans. I use a vacuum sealer to seal small amounts and I put the bags in a dark, cool, dry place.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Oct 8, 2009, 9:17pm

CoffeeGeek Discussions:
Most of these are rather old, and don't provide scientific proof and experimentation.  This doesn't mean these types of experiments, both anecdotal and scientific, have not been done.  On the contrary . . .

From Home-Barista:
Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Oct 9, 2009, 2:20am

Freezing CAN certainly destroy your beans... If it isn't done properly.

Done properly.. It works just fine.  Properly equates to two things:

Airtight

Very Cold

IMHO, the more airtight you get the beans, the less emphasis you need to put on "very cold"... Within reason... Even using a commercial vacsealer won'tallow you store your beans in the fridge.  However...

Usually, it is suggested that the the freezer attached to your fridge isn't cold enough.  I would imagine, if you have a decent vaccum sealer, you could use your attached freezer.  But, if your using double bags, jars, or taping over the one-way valve and putting that bag in another, I think a chest/door freezer which can be brought much cold would work BEST.  This is my opinion.

I don't freeze beans regularly, because I don't really need given what I go through in 2 weeks time.  I buy 3-4lbs of coffee every 14 days, so shipping is reasonable, TO ME.  I do, however, keep what I call, "backup beans" a couple pounds, frozen, in my chest freezer, which is roughly ~20 belowF.  Roughly.  These beans are for times when, for whatever reason, I have completly run out of coffee, and more coffee won't be arriving for a couple days.  This hasn't happened in a while, so, if Ive got beans frozen for more then 2 months, I use em up, and on my next order, Ill order 7-8lbs instead of my usual 4, and freeze 3-4lbs.  What I do is simple.  Most roasters I order from use one-way valve bags.  I tape over them with some sort of heavy tape, like electrical, duct, Gorilla, something like that, and take that bag and put it into a Freezer Ziploc Bag.  Squeeze out as much air as I possibly can, stick them in the freezer, and cover them with Ice Pakcs(like you would use in a cooler).  IVe used them as far out as 5 months, and they've been fine.. They're usually frozen between 2-5days off the roast.

Point is.. Yes, you can freeze your coffee.  Make sure you put them in as cold a freezer you can, and seal them up as best as you possibly can.  When taking them out, DO NOT open the bag/container/jar until they have fully defrosted.  I give it overnight, 6-8hrs.  I find that frozen beans stale quicker then beans straight from the roaster... For my tastes, they're usually done with ten days "off the roast".  Meaning, If I froze them 3 days off the roast, left them frozen for 5 months, and take them out, they're good for another ~7 days.  YMMV.

For storing your beans normally, like when you recieve your order and you intend to use them right away... Any airtight container will do.  Opaque is preffered, but Airtight is what is most important.  My containers are clear, and I dont have any problems with "pre-mature staling"

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Best way to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267606973648)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+