Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
MUST stop at in Seattle? EDIT,, 5 stops in 1 night!
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > MUST stop at in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 1:37pm
Subject: MUST stop at in Seattle? EDIT,, 5 stops in 1 night!

Yes I know the list but my work is sending me to Seattle this Sunday and I will be there until Friday afternoon, with a bunch of non coffee freaks.

They think I am a nut case or something for my love of coffee. I have made the statement that for me this trip is for COFFEE and work takes a distant second. I told them that if I need to, I would rent my own car and go out for coffee!

We will be about 30 miles south of Seattle at a major aircraft makers plant for training. I do plan to go to the city a few times but if there were only ONE shop to stop in, which would it be?

Nothing like asking a question that really has no "right" answer huh LOL!

EDIT:

Oh, BTW, one of my trip mates made the comment that "there is a Starbucks right across the street from the motel"
I told him "good, that leaves more good coffee for me somewhere else!" Anyone know of a good shop 30 miles south of the city? Those of you who know the area know where I am talking about I am sure.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jammin
jammin
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: manual
Roaster: quest m3
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 1:42pm
Subject: Re: MUST stop at in Seattle?

If it were me, I would stop in at Stumptown in Seattle just before 3pm so you could check out the public coffee cupping that they do every day at that time.  

Not to mention all the other goodness that they have to offer.

roast your own
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 1:44pm

I would love to but I will be further south until about 2:30 or so, about 30 miles south :(

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 2:21pm

Wayne, my problem is that I have no idea what's around Boeing and/or Sea-Tac.  All the places I know of are either downtown or slightly to the north (opposite direction).

Be that as it may, let me just give you my list of "must stops."  Whether you make it there or not . . . .

Espresso Vivace Alley 24  (I always go here)
227 Yale Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109
Telephone 206.388.5164
Hours:  6am until 11pm daily

Vivace Espresso Bar at Brix (I tried to find it once and got lost)
532 Broadway Ave East
Seattle WA 98102
Telephone 206.860.2722
Hours:  6am until 11pm daily

Caffé Vita FREMONT
4301 Fremont Avenue North
Seattle, Washington 98103
Telephone 206.632.3535
HOURS  weekdays: 6am - 8pm; weekends: 7am - 8pm
(NOTE:  This is the location with the 5-group BOSCO lever machine; there are three other locations closer to Downtown Seattle, and one in Olympia)

Stumptown
616 East Pine
Seattle, WA 98122
Telephone  206.329.0115
Hours:  7 am to 9 pm daily

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 3:31pm

I tried doing the same thing in just a couple days last September, check out this thread.
I managed to hit 5-6 places including a couple local unknown places that were recommended by family members. The best 3 shots (in order) were;
  • Espresso Vivace, Alley 24 (One of the best shots I've ever had)
  • Zoka, Green Lake (a very close second)
  • Stumptown, East Pine
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 3:59pm

If I had a chance to visit Seattle I would likely check out the Starbucks at Pike Place Plaza:
http://www.ci.seattle.wa.us/html/visitor/starbucks.htm  (follow links at site)

My understanding is that it is the original one; gets plenty of visitors due to such.

Regarding other coffee shops that may serve better brew, that is something that can be got at any large city.

However, how often does one get to plant their feet at the epicenter of the birthplace of the coffee empire a good many discussions on CG center around.  Pro and Con.

Love 'em, or hate 'em, I'd consider it a must see.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
espressoaddict

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 (Primary)...
Grinder: Baratza Vario 2009 and...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Melitta Single Cup, Bodum...
Posted Wed Jan 13, 2010, 6:21pm

There are just so many great places to visit in the proper downtown area.  Good luck on finding parking during the day.  I found this to be a challenge.

One of my favorites places for Ristretto style Espresso and a great place to buy roasted beans is the Vivace location on 227 Yale Ave N.  Typically during the day parking can be difficult.  One workaround is to park inside the REI parking garage which is located directly across the street.  If you don't want to feel guilty for parking, you can check out the HandPresso at REI.

Now if you are willing to head to Zoka's newest location in Kirkland.  I highly recommend visiting this location if you are interested in their SO offerings.  Typically feature two single origin coffees which they can serve as Espresso, as well as their traditional Zoka Paladino Espresso.

Now if you magically make the trip to Zoka's in Kirkland, then head to Whole Foods in Bellevue to check-out a vast selection of artisan roasted coffee.  They are only minutes away from Kirkland and is definitely worth the trip.

What's unique at least for this location is the exclusive and highly touted Slayer.  Only their single origin espressos are pulled on this machine.  For preparing their traditional Paladino Blend espresso they use an entirely non-Slayer machine.

I won't be able to recommend a good place around where you will be working.  Typically, South Seattle is not known to have stellar espresso shops. However, near your vicinity is Synesso.   Maybe you just want to talk shop, see their equipment or pickup some extra accessories.    Synesso, Inc • 309 S. Cloverdale Suite C41 • Seattle, WA 98108

Have fun during your stay!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Jan 14, 2010, 6:08am

Thanks! These shops were pretty much on my must see list LOL!
I have some coffee on my bar and had several nice cups this morning from Vivace (Espresso Dolce  ) tasty indeed.

Jason, again a very nice post, lots of info! So you like the "alley" over one of the indoor locations? I know this was their first shop location.

Looking at espresso map, I did see that nearly everything is "north" of where we are going to be. The motel is very close to our training location but I would rather stay down town and commute in, I like the locations better up north GRIN!

We are going to be staying in Auburn but I will "borrow" the car when I can to take road trips. The GPS should help a lot and we will be going opposite to the normal work flow IE in to the city in the afternoon.

I will be checking out Zoka's  that slayer would be nice to see in action!

I know my focus after work will be the coffee but the others will want to do things like sightseeing etc, what a waste of precious few hours that could be spent in coffee bars that I won't have a chance to get to see again for a while.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:18pm

After working my way through 5 lbs of Vivace...and being that close....I would make it happen.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Chang94598

Posted Thu Jan 14, 2010, 12:35pm

Victrola Cafe on 310 E Pike (cafe and roastery) was excellent. I also went to the Capitol Hill location.

http://www.victrolacoffee.com/

If you catch them at the right time, you may be able to speak with the roaster.  The roasting facility is within the cafe, separated by glass doors. So think of the roasting questions ahead......

If you call ahead, you can also test various espresso machines, including GS3, and purchase various accessories, at Visions Espresso. It is not a cafe, but I drank all I could and was slightly intoxicated.

The Zoka location near UW also had good coffee, but at least when I was there, no latte art, if you care for that kind of embellishment.

Vivace at Alley is just across from REI; it is one of the largest REI's I have seen. The Vivace sign is rather small. As espressoadict mentioned, park in the REI parking lot; the cafe is just a few yards away. You can also pick up green coffee beans there, packaged in one pound increments. Although called "Alley", it has plenty of inside seating.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > MUST stop at in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281543970108)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+