Espresso: Questions and Answers
Low Tech Auto Tamper Project
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Low Tech Auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:11pm
Subject: Re: Low Tech Auto Tamper Project

TheMummaFamily Said:

Hey, I think I have a good idea.

Can crusher:

Posted July 20, 2010 link

I think so too MaryAnn!! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:26pm

This might be better for the "tamper"
Click Here (www.espressoparts.com)

seems I could get a bolt and go through the top plate to mount that, maybe need to lengthen it though--a longer bolt maybe?  Might it need fortification?  The crusher's top plate will not extend to the bottom plate, it leaves maybe a 2 inch space or so.  Actually, the scale can be mounted directly beneath and touching the hollowed bottom plate, come to think of it.

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
avaserfi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:28pm

Most tamper pistons I have seen (not too many) seem to use a common sized thread. Why not buy an inexpensive tamper piston and mount it to the top part of the crusher? All you would need is a screw with the proper thread and a drill to put a hole through the top plate of the crusher.

Easy to clean, not wood and it will look nice.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 12:29pm

You possibly could mount a bolt, dunno the diameter., for a 58mm tamper head that can be bought at various online retailers. Sorry I'm busy at the moment & don't have the time to search it/them all out..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 2:23pm

Wood is too rough and the coffee would stick to it causing a big mess.
I am sure you have a good manual tamper and the way most of them are made is that the handle screws into the working end of the tamper. Just unscrew the head and take it with you the next time you go to the hardware store and buy a bolt that fits into the hole properly. Bingo, you have a nice tamper head for your setup and it can be removed quickly and reattached to the handle with no fuss.

Most scales are too big to fit under the crusher but if you mount the crusher low enough on the wall, then the clickmat referenced above, could be used under the PF and it would tell you when the tamp was right.

With this setup, your young ones should have no trouble getting a pretty darn good tamp every time.

That said, the squeezer you referenced above may be modified with a bolt, your tamper and a click mat if you re-arranged the parts properly.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 8:06pm

calblacksmith Said:

Wood is too rough and the coffee would stick to it causing a big mess.
I am sure you have a good manual tamper and the way most of them are made is that the handle screws into the working end of the tamper. Just unscrew the head and take it with you the next time you go to the hardware store and buy a bolt that fits into the hole properly. Bingo, you have a nice tamper head for your setup and it can be removed quickly and reattached to the handle with no fuss.

Most scales are too big to fit under the crusher but if you mount the crusher low enough on the wall, then the clickmat referenced above, could be used under the PF and it would tell you when the tamp was right.

With this setup, your young ones should have no trouble getting a pretty darn good tamp every time.

That said, the squeezer you referenced above may be modified with a bolt, your tamper and a click mat if you re-arranged the parts properly.

Ok on the wood.  I thought maybe I had seen wooden tampers and I could just do a beautiful sanding job, but that would take a good while probably too..

I do have a good tamper.  I wanted to use my tamper and practice my own tamping by hand, but have a press for the children.  I do have a tamper on the front of the Major--I guess I could take it.  I don't even know how to use the mounted tamper anyway. but it kinda looks nice to have the grinder whole.  

Re:scale being too big, I thought it would go beneath the crusher and I would cut a hole in the bottom plate of the crusher so that the mounted tamper could pass through it to the scale below.  Make sense?  I guess it depends upon how far into the middle of the scale I have to go to get the correct weight to register. If it has to be in the middle, I would have to mount the crusher on a box and mount the scale beneath it.  

Thanks for helping.

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 8:08pm

For the tamper, what about a Terry's Tamper or a plastic throwaway that comes with the machines?

TheMummaFamily

Posted Tue Jul 20, 2010, 8:29pm

TheMummaFamily Said:

For the tamper, what about a Terry's Tamper or a plastic throwaway that comes with the machines?

Hmmm....It appears from research that these don't fit too well.  

I guess that is what brainstorming is for...

davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010, 4:26pm

TheMummaFamily Said:

Hmmm....It appears from research that these don't fit too well.  

I guess that is what brainstorming is for...

For the scale to read accurately it will have to be attached securely by it's base to the crusher housing. Compare your crusher to a pair of pliers, the top "piston" is one jaw and the bottom of the housing is the other jaw. Removing one jaw from a pair of pliers and replacing it will only work if the new jaw is mounted to the first, esisting one. If that makes any sense...
Perhapse it could work if you build a box (open side facing the front) that has a base big enough for the scale to fit and a hight that is equal to the combined height of the scale and the crusher with the bottom of the crusher cut off.
TheMummaFamily

Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010, 6:06pm

Ok thanks Dave!  

I think I am misunderstanding something though.  Why does this plan not work?

Simply make a hole bigger than a basket, with a hole saw, in the bottom plate of the crusher.  Then the tamper passes through the bottom to the scale beneath (mounted on a shelf or on a counter) and exerts force, which will (I assume) register as weight.  

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Low Tech Auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332013130188)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+