Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Low Tech Auto Tamper Project
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Low Tech Auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010, 6:32pm
Subject: Re: Low Tech Auto Tamper Project

Or... instead of fitting the tamper directly to the can crusher, attach a dowel or other rod to the driven arm.  Drill a hole in the base plate slightly larger than the dowel (or, to fit a bushing that will keep the dowel in the right line).

Fit the tamper face to the bottom end of the dowel, which can now go down to the scale (or just the basket) a convenient distance below.

Just another idea...
 View Profile Link to this post
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010, 6:39pm

Also, the tamper piston could be wood, carefully sanded, turned down to slightly smaller than the right diameter, and coated in a pour-on resin.  Clamped in the right orientation (perfectly flat, relative to gravity), that can make an extremely smooth finish.  (Is static an issue with resin coatings?)

A countersunk flat head screw in the middle (installed before the resin), can secure the piston face to the drive rod.

A modestly equipped woodworking shop should be able to do most of this work.
TheMummaFamily

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Thu Jul 22, 2010, 10:14pm

Those are good ideas William!!  Thank you!! Little D says thank you too!!!

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010, 6:13am

A polished hard wood tamper would indeed work, a plain disc of pine (say cut from a 2 x 4) or similar would likely not work as the grain is too large to take a good polish, that is where I came from when I said that a wooden tamper would not work, my mistake for not being more clear.

You indeed could use the crusher on top and a scale on the bottom but as was said, they do need to be fixed between each other, they need not be attached to each other but you need to make your device so that they won't move apart from each other while in use. You can put a scale under the rig and cut the bottom out of the crusher so that the PF sits on the scale while you are pressing with the crusher.

The place I am coming from is that if you are going to go through the trouble of making this device, make it so you don't need to watch a scale for ease of use. However, if you want to or don't mind watching a scale, there is no reason against using a scale, you are the tool designer, make it any way you want! :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TheMummaFamily

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Fri Jul 23, 2010, 1:28pm

Good points Wayne.  Thank you!

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
mtcummins

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cheapo 12 cup
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 5:40pm

TheMummaFamily Said:

Nice--thanks.  It was a juicer I saw at samsclub.com that made me think of this, but the juicer wasn't that cheap. I am going to go read that and see what juicers cost.

Thanks Randy!

Posted July 19, 2010 link

MaryAnn,

Did you ever end up making one of these?  How did it turn out?  I'm very interested in the one referred to here, step by step instructions are available here: Click Here (makeprojects.com)

I just don't have the time/tools to do the fabrication.  If you were interested in doing it, I would be interested in purchasing one from you... seems like most of the time involved will be in getting the parts together, etc.  Looks like building it would be fairly quick.  Maybe your time in figuring it out can pay for your machine by me buying a 2nd one you build at the same time :)

I started a new thread here: "Hydraulic Tamper project" about this, but found this one in a search, so thought I'd post here as well.  

Let me know!
-Mike-
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Low Tech Auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259604215622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+