Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Junk Multimeterzzz
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Junk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tom_b
tom_b

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia/PID
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Roaster: USPS/Popper
Posted Mon May 17, 2004, 5:23pm
Subject: Junk Multimeterzzz

I was excited to finally get a multimter and thermocouple wire to test my temp at the PF, did so with results uniformly on the high side and then tested it in boiling water - 217F. It is about 7 degrees off (I'm at 1500 or 2000 ft altitude) and within spec 3% of range from freezing to measured temp.. No instructions on recalibration.. Anyone have a moderately priced unit they can recommend or.. any other guidance?
thanks,
tom
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon May 17, 2004, 6:23pm
Subject: Re: Junk Multimeterzzz

Hi Tom,

This is the one I use.
http://www.web-tronics.com/digtherwkpro.html

I think they are claiming +/- 2% accuracy which is just a bit better than what you are getting with your meter.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brokencup
brokencup

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Mon May 17, 2004, 6:52pm

PJK Said:

Hi Tom,

This is the one I use.
http://www.web-tronics.com/digtherwkpro.html

I think they are claiming +/- 2% accuracy which is just a bit better than what you are getting with your meter.

Phil

Posted May 17, 2004 link

I have that one too. I think it is a very good value.

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
tom_b
tom_b

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia/PID
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Roaster: USPS/Popper
Posted Mon May 17, 2004, 9:32pm

Thanks-I remember seeing that model, lost the link. Do you get 212F in boiling water (assuming you're at sea level), or varying from 208-216?

I tried the one I posted about yesterday again, got 210-211, then 213, (but was 217 yesterday) tried yet another model and got 206-207.. hmmm.. My cheap dial thermometer is looking better than that, but is too slow..

tom
barjohn
barjohn

Espresso: Breville Oracle
Grinder: Breville Oracle
Posted Mon May 17, 2004, 9:43pm

The problem with these units is as follows:  If you are trying to achieve 1 C accuracy, but your instrument is only capable of +- 2C you can never achieve a valid reading.  In the Navy we require the test instrument to be 4 times as accurate as the instrument under test (called a 4 to 1 test accuracy ratio).  That ratio is maintained all the way to either the NIST standard or the limits of physics whichever comes first.  Since Schomer recommends being within the 1C range or better (though he states that no semi-comercial machine he has seen can achieve that result) you need a far more accurate instrument.  For example the Fluke 52-II is accurate to .05% or .1C ($219). A B&K type 630 ($89.00) is accurate to +.3% of reading +1C or +1.285 to + 0.715 C.  Not quite what we would like but much better than the meter shown with an error of +-.75%+4F (error +5.5 to +3.05 at 203F).  To be really accurate you need to take into account the thermocouple's error rate as well.  A good instrument is calibrated with the measuring device so that the error is the total error.

Probably more than you wanted to know but you can waste money on testers that won't do the job if you don't know what it must be capable of measuring.  There is nothing worse than have several temperature measuring devices and no two agreeing with the other.  Which one do you believe and count on?

John

Veritas en Trashitas
brokencup
brokencup

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue May 18, 2004, 4:57am

Barjohn is correct in that a $20 insturment may not be suitable for precise PF readings.

I use mine in my roaster at temps from 200F to 400F as a back up to the on board themometer. It works well for this purpose.

I want to point out that, there is accuracy and then there is repeatability  Repeatability may be more important to you than accuracy because if you always get 208 degrees for boiling water then you have a reference point. I don't know the repeatability of measurememts with this thermometer with it's $20 innards, but the several times that I stuck it into a pot of boiling water it came up around 211F which is about right for Atlanta (elevation 1000ft). Just a guess, but I think the short term repeatability would be good. That is if you read boiling water and then your portafilter within 2 minutes of each other the relative temps would be meaningful.

Repeatability is probably a function of the ambient environment including temp and humidity. Conditions that are fairly constant in a kitchen. But might include battery condition and aging.  None of these factors would preclude obtaining useful information about your PF if you want to risk another 20 bucks.

Barjohn's approach is good  'Metrology', whilst mine is 'Mr Wizard' at best.

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Junk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267753839493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+