Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
How to roast barley for espresso
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to roast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:41am
Subject: Re: How to roast barley for espresso

You know, the funny thing is that in my beer making days we would have called the "barley espresso" something like this:  "Concentrated Wort".  Spread it around, talk it up.

"Hey Mr./Ms. Barista, gimme a double Wort".  

Let's put the beer making industry in a tizzy.

Len

P.S.  To all the beer making enthusiasts out there, I know I am taking a leap in calling it "wort", as it wouldn't fit into a true definition of such due to the lack of hops in the process, and lack of the mashing process, but for propaganda purposes it could fly.

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jezekilj

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 12:01pm

I found the how to. In case anyone is interesting ther eis instruction on who to make barley drink using espresso machine . It is related to tamping and grind sizes:

http://www.cafeorzo.com/how-to-make-it/

jezekilj: 3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 2:37pm

How long do I let it rise in the portafilter?

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 2:47pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

But the point is that it is not "still called wine."  It is called "fruit wine" or -- for example -- "cherry wine," or "plum wine," or "barley wine."

Posted December 16, 2011 link

and you just proved my point. all of those listed above contain the word wine. good work!

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

That said, the last time I looked this was not correct-use-of-english-vocabulary-and-grammar.com, but rather coffeegeek.com, so perhaps we can stick with more germane topics . . . .

and last time i looked it said "senior member" under your name not "moderator."

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 8:13pm

jezekilj Said:

I found the how to. In case anyone is interesting ther eis instruction on who to make barley drink using espresso machine . It is related to tamping and grind sizes:

http://www.cafeorzo.com/how-to-make-it/

Thanks for that - i know some decaf lovers who are adventurous and might like to try this.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
jezekilj

Posted Fri Dec 16, 2011, 11:44pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

But the point is that it is not "still called wine."  It is called "fruit wine" or -- for example -- "cherry wine," or "plum wine," or "barley wine."  NO ONE that I can think of has ever sold, marketed, or even referred to (e.g.) a plum wine by saying "this wine will pair great with your dinner."  They'll say, "Have you thought about serving a plum wine?" or "The barley wine made by Anchor Brewing is called 'Old Foghorn'."  (No one says "The wine that Anchor makes is called . . . ")

The term -- without the modified -- refers to something altogether different.  The modifier is the key!

That said, the last time I looked this was not correct-use-of-english-vocabulary-and-grammar.com, but rather coffeegeek.com, so perhaps we can stick with more germane topics . . . .

quote556031

I would not agree on this. Simply as someone said about the beer.

People are making beer from different cereals but still call it a beer.
People are making copies on canon machine but someone would still call it a xerox and it is wrong, simply wrong.

If we go to the root, espresso does not mean ex-pressed nor it means pressed. It is more related to expressions (The process of making known one's thoughts or feelings) In italian it means fast or quickly made and that it is "expressing" itself but when you drink it. And that is the origin. Today they don't even call it like that they call it cafe. And in old days thay call it "caffe espresso" not just "espresso". I believe this is the name used now in states. And I believe mistake is if you are looking to an english definition in english dictionary. If we look to an italian dictionary then it is different.

The problem of the www.dictionary.com search results from previous poster is because he looked at the term espresso and he looked at english language based site. That is not the name . The name in Italy defined by italians is ( caffè ) espresso  not just espresso  . This would mean quickly made coffee in away that it( coffee) express it self with a note after being made ( not that it is pressed during preparation) . And people took just last word and now it is common to say just espresso. The same like with xerox.

I believe espresso is reserved for cofea and all other shall have prefix like barley-espresso ; corn-espresso.

And I clearly said in the first post I wana use barley ... how to make espresso out of it. I did not said I would use barley ...how to make coffee-espresso out of it. So Of course I was referring to barley-espresso but in a way that is made on espresso machine and it will expressit self in a best way when I drink it.

There is a lot to investigate in therms of methods on how to brew them,grind them, tamp them etc...

Even between different types of coffees and roasts you can have different methods of grinding an tamping in order to extratc the best.

My goal was to learn how to extract the best of roasted barley.
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 6:12am

I'm confused.  Is it called "marriage" or "gay marriage"?

....enjoying the banter : )
carlsilver

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola/La...
Grinder: la Pavoni Jolly/Ascaso i...
Vac Pot: Normax
Drip: Melitta (manual)
Roaster: no
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 6:57am

How about creating a "Barley Geek"?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 7:13am

jezekilj Said:

I would not agree on this.

And no one is saying you have to.  As far as I know, not even the legendary "jack-booted thugs" of the ATF will break down your front door and haul you off to Guantanamo Bay for not agreeing.

OTOH, I'm just citing Federal regulations, as well as those from other countries.  Those regulations ban the term "wine" on anything not produced from grapes unless modified by and with another term, forming -- what in English -- is known as a "compound noun."  The examples I've previously provided are just that.  

Refer to this:

A compound noun is a noun that is made up of two or more words. Most compound nouns in English are formed by nouns modified by other nouns or adjectives.

For example:
-- The words tooth and paste are each nouns in their own right, but if you join them together they form a new word - toothpaste.
-- The word black is an adjective and board is a noun, but if you join them together they form a new word - blackboard.

In both these example the first word modifies or describes the second word, telling us what kind of object or person it is, or what its purpose is. And the second part identifies the object or person in question.

The two parts may be written in a number of ways:

1) Sometimes the two words are joined together.
Example: tooth + paste = toothpaste | bed + room = bedroom

2) Sometimes they are joined using a hyphen.
Example: check-in

3) Sometimes they appear as two separate words.
Example: full moon

Terms such as "barley wine," "fruit wine", and "plum wine" are compound nouns; when the terms are used separately, their meaning is completely different.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2011, 7:49am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Refer to this:
and paste are each nouns in their own right, but if you join them together they form a new word - toothpaste.
-- The word black is an adjective and board is a noun, but if you join them together they form a new word - blackboard.

In both these example the first word modifies or describes the second word, telling us what kind of object or person it is, or what its purpose is. And the second part identifies the object or person in question.

The two parts may be written in a number of ways:

1) Sometimes the two words are joined together.
Example: tooth + paste = toothpaste | bed + room = bedroom

2) Sometimes they are joined using a hyphen.
Example: check-in

3) Sometimes they appear as two separate words.
Example: full moon

Posted December 17, 2011 link

is that irony coming from the guy that said this

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

or are you just being condescending?

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
showing page 6 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > How to roast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400852918625)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+