Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Who can drink it straight?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Who can drink it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 11:38am
Subject: Re: Who can drink it straight?

straight.  for me, i feel like it's the only way to judge if i pulled a proper shot or not
especially since i find that the blend i use (red bird) doesn't taste too great with milk

i've always wondered how people drank their red bird blends though, especially when they liken its flavor to a snickers bar (with or without sugar, etc...)

Daviiid
 View Profile Link to this post
mitch236

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Linea Single Group (PID,...
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 12:26pm

There are two difficulties drinking straight espresso.  First, it's an aquired taste.  Second, and more difficult, is only a handful of cafe's can brew great espresso on a regular basis and it's challenging to brew at home on low end equipment (not saying home equipment is low end, just that many people start out with low end equipment).

I drink mostly straight espresso but start every morning with a cappa.  In the beginning, it was hard because my quality was terrible but as my abilities (and equipment) improved, so did my palate for espresso.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 3:35pm

Well, in the FWIW Dept., my "main" coffee is always a 50-50 blend of regular and decaf.  My wife is highly sensitive to any sort of medication, etc., to the extent that when she broke her pelvis in three places, and her sacrum in eight, she took nothing but Motrin and icepacks in the hospital.  Regular coffee would "amp" her up for days -- she cannot tolerate more than a 50-50 mix, and usually one a day is more than enough.

Me, on the other hand -- double-strength Vicodin barely put a dent in the pain after major reconstructive knee surgery -- and a 50-50 reg/decaf mix never makes me feel wired . . . but yes, if for some reason I do not have any coffee by, say 10:00 or 11:00 am, I do get a pretty decent headache!  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Abnuceals

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 4:04pm

I drink 3-4 espressos each day. Always straight, no water, milk or sugar. Once or twice a week, I drink a cappucino. I already tried espresso with sugar, just to try the taste. But it's not realy for me.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 5:02pm

I drink straight espresso in cafés ONLY very rarely, and -- at least here in the US -- usually only with prior recommendation(s) from someone I trust.  I usually order a cappuccino or, if roasted every darkly, a latte.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 7:12pm

I will have 4 to 6 doubles a day. If I am making a milk drink for someone else I will make sure and save a enough foam for a double machiatto but won't steam for just a macchiato. If we're out it's long blacks or a cap with desert as a rule.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 8:33pm

Straight.
Interestingly, we here on this side of the pond seem to be somewhat unique in that we eschew sugar, while when I was in Italy many years ago, a sugar stick was provided with my tiny 1oz shot.

I love a 'coffee milk" in the morning, and then straight shots during the day.
I will say, to JD that my Olympia Cremina lever offers me the opportunity to "tune" my shots, and provides a slightly brighter profile as well.

perhaps, if you had a conical grinder like a Preciso, some of the Macaps, K10, etc you might enjoy the fruitier aspects, less roast taste.
I'd also recommend a SO, like an El Salvador, or even a nutty Brasilian coffee.

I'm also thinking that the blend you've been getting might be a bit darker than your taste buds like.
My present batch of Redbird espresso is actually wee bit lighter roasted than previous 5# bags I've purchased.
Not punchy in milk, but a nice shot, a bit less of the Snickers than usual, but nice.
Off topic, but again for JD, I also recommend Paradise Roasters "Nuevo" blend, and Velton's Coffee "Bonsai."

JD, try less coffee, and shorter shots, swirl the coffee before sipping.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
shockwvs

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 8:31pm

I also find myself doing something along the lines of CalBlacksmith with the morning latte on the way to work, nice way to start the day! But I must admit when I drink Espresso I prefer it with sugar, I think I'll try some things I've heard on this thread with using raw sugar or honey. Worth a try.
JDHarding
JDHarding

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 3:31pm

I got my Redbird espresso today. I didn't wait the full 7 days to try it, and instead brewed some up on what is the 3rd day from roast date.

It pulled a bit fast, at 2.5oz in 20 seconds. It was my first try as the grinder was set for my previous coffee blend. I drank it anyway. I deffinately tasted chocolate, some caramel, and what I would call a dark 70% cacao snickers bar. That dark bitter chocolate that's sorta hard to swallow. It was drinkable, and enjoyable, but a bit too hot for me. Heating the cup plus pulling the shot at 200F created a VERY hot shot.

Why pull my shot at 2.5oz? Because I use 20 grams of coffee in a double shot, and 20 gram shots just tend to taste better at 2.5oz. And there's usually no sign of blonding until somewhere in the 3.5oz realm.

So it looks like I too can drink these straight now that I found the right blend. Yay. :)

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Wed Apr 11, 2012, 3:40pm

Cool JD!  I have yet to try Redbird despite the rampant praise.  You may have given me the little push I needed.

Regarding the cups, I never liked heating the cups with hot water (such as from the boiler or group), but always did it anyway because I was going by rote.  Now, simply having my cups on the cup warmer is just right for me.
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Who can drink it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271681785583)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+