Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Rancilio sadness - extraction way too fast
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Rancilio sadness...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
dirkpitt

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 12:43am
Subject: Rancilio sadness - extraction way too fast

Hi all

I have recently acquired a Rancilio Silvia and am having a lot of problems getting a decent extraction.

Please note: I dont have a grinder, and have been purchasing pre-ground until I do. So far I have tried two different brands.

So I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to pull a shot with 6 attempts.

In 24 seconds, I am getting approximately 100mls of coffee.. finishing very very blond. What I would consider too blond happens at around 15 -16 seconds.

I can appreciate that this might be hindered by the grinds, that granted are not fresh... but 100mls?

Do you think there is something wrong with my pressure? I would have thought I would get a slightly poor extraction, but not this bad.

Any advice, appreciated.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
jkoll42

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 5:13am
Subject: Re: Rancilio sadness - extraction way too fast

dirkpitt Said:

Please note: I dont have a grinder, and have been purchasing pre-ground until I do. So far I have tried two different brands.

Any advice, appreciated.

Posted May 1, 2012 link

Have you tried doing a search for pregound or read the forums?
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 5:38am

Preground will never produce a decent result.
The key is to use a good espresso-capable grinder and freshly roasted coffee.  The difference will be dramatic.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 6:07am

Doesn't matter. It won't change. No grinder=no espresso.. not a rule, but a VERY safe bet even when playing against the house.
If it is a new Silvia you would be better off using the pod option for now rather then using pre-ground (Do they come with a pod option? I seem to remeber that they do.). Was the Silvia new or used? How old is it if used?

So I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to pull a shot with 6 attempts.

One attempt every five minutes. There are quicker ways to get rid of stale coffee.

In 24 seconds, I am getting approximately 100mls of coffee.. finishing very very blond. What I would consider too blond happens at around 15 -16 seconds.

Every forum has a search function. You could easily have learned that a double should be about 60mls, and that your flow is WAY too fast. How to adjust the rate of extraction? Grind finer. How do you grind finer? Adjust the grinder. How to adjust the grinder? Read the instructions that came with the grinder. Where is the grinder?  Ahhh HAAA!

I can appreciate that this might be hindered by the grinds, that granted are not fresh... but 100mls?

Not might. There is no "might be" about it.

Do you think there is something wrong with my pressure?

No.

I would have thought I would get a slightly poor extraction, but not this bad.

You were very wrong thinking that.

Any advice, appreciated.

Still think so???

This is your first post, but it is clear you have done little reading on the subject. So once again I offer that the espresso machine is an accessory to the grinder. A basic espresso machine can make drinkable beverages when paired to a quality grinder. An excellent espresso machine (costing three times what a Silvia does) will make sludge when paired with a low-end grinder.

Pre-ground coffee is, in terms of espresso, stale. Once ground, coffee is best used in ten to fifteen minutes. The smell in the air when you grind coffee, that aroma, is flavor escaping. Once ground and exposed to the air, coffee begins to go through an accelerated staling process. But beyond any effect that has on the flavor (depending on what there was to begin with), once ground, it is not possible to regrind. Even on a basic grinder like a Rocky, one step = approximately 0.001" of adjustment in burr separation and that can make a different of as much as seven seconds of extraction time.

This time, before going out and spending money, ASK about grinders AFTER doing some research. Start at www.baratza.com and work from there.

Also, are you located in Canada, Ohio, Texas, Alabama, New Jersey, Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Bermuda, or Montana?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 7:53am

as the others said, get a grinder or you will continue to fail.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 10:23am

I don't want to play jr. admin here, but there is (once again) a bit of a lesson here that might be picked up by other newbies in the future.

dirkpitt, this was your first post. We do not know you so we have no idea as to your experience, mainly because you did not introduce yourself. We have to assume a lot of things, but from the question you posed, we would logically assume that this is your first machine. We do not know if you have ever even drank a straight espresso before, what ground coffee you are using, if the Silvia was new or used, the dose you are using, are you using the single or double basket , how you distribute the coffee, whether you have a proper-fitting tamper, whether or not you are tamping at all, and so many other factors at which we have to guess.

The bad part is that, with your first post, we have to assume that you spent little time doing any research or searches here, and popping in are asking us one of (if not THE) most basic questions there are on virtually any coffee forum, which could have been found with various searches such as:
do I need a grinder?
pre-ground coffee
Fast extractions
How to slow my extraction

The total sum of that is there are people who perceive your genre of post as either a troll or, more often, as coming from someone who does not have the time to look for an answer on their own but is safe in assuming that others have the time to so so for them.

So, before I start coming across as a total *&!$, if you would like to learn more about curing problems making espresso at home, and get a better idea about the entire process, on my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME. Something in the neighborhood of 14 typed pages of assistance, written if fairly plain language, aimed at helping folks in situations similar to yours. There is a LOT more on the site as well.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 10:50am

No grinder = no espresso .
Stale coffee = no espresso .
Please read ALL of the FAQ on how to buy an espresso machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 11:38am

dirkpitt Said:

Rancilio sadness - extraction way too fast

Posted May 1, 2012 link

dirkpitt Said:

Posted May 1, 2012 link

I think the point was made above but to keep it short:
  1. Stale coffee is one of the most common causes of fast extractions
  2. Preground is stale

dirkpitt Said:

Do you think there is something wrong with my pressure? I would have thought I would get a slightly poor extraction, but not this bad.

Posted May 1, 2012 link

It's really impossible and pointless to speculate until you're grinding per shot.  As always, the grinder matters more.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 12:15pm

frcn Said:

...if you would like to learn more about curing problems making espresso at home, and get a better idea about the entire process, on my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME. Something in the neighborhood of 14 typed pages of assistance, written if fairly plain language, aimed at helping folks in situations similar to yours. There is a LOT more on the site as well.

Posted May 1, 2012 link

This is one of the quickest ways to troubleshoot extraction problems and is very well written.  I highly recommend it.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed May 2, 2012, 6:10am

Welcome, Darin, to CG.  I presume by now you know what your problem is.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Rancilio sadness...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340473175049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+