Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Extraction question
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extraction...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jneff28

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Maestro, Rocky
Drip: Press, quisinart
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 3:48pm
Subject: Extraction question

Using a vario and silvano machine with Black cat 5 days off roast. took me a bit to dial in on my grinder and now I am at 12.4 sec grind time with about 8-10 sec before the shot exits portafilter. starts off really nice but after about 10 sec or 20 seconds total it really starts pouring quickly and then blondes instead of a nice steady stream all the way through. Shot is decent but the pour seems odd. Been using a local roast and the pour seems to stay at a steady rate the whole 25-28 sec. With 12.3 grind time i am just about the line on my basket but without actually measuring not sure exactly how much gram weight I have.  Any finer and I am choking the machine and any coarser it pours on through rather quickly. Anyone else with the timer vario who can give me an idea of what kind of grind time your using?
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 4:30pm
Subject: Re: Extraction question

Grind time is meaning less from one bean to another as is fine/coarse setting. A tenth of a gram scale will be a big help in your dosing. You are also not mentioning what the age of your local roasters beans where, sounds like your BC just needs to be ground finer to adjust for early blonding, hard to speculate on the local rosters results with no data.
jneff28

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 6:07pm

not sure the local roast age--they tell me its within a week since it is delivered to the store on mondays. its is quite a bit different then the bc as far as grinder setting. I will try a little finer grind. I guess the length of time it take for the pour to actually start has more to do with dosing? so maybe a tick finer and a second or 2 off of my grind time until I get a scale.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 10:43pm

On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME. It might help.

Be aware that all things are interrelated in making espresso. Using a little less coffee and a coarser grind with slightly lower brew pressure makes a big difference (not saying that is your problem, though). But a too-fine grind can cause a slow start to extraction, good, slow flow at first, then a gusher before it is half done. Try moving a bit more coarse to slow things down. I know it sounds odd, but it might work. If it helps, try turning down the pressure just a tad, but remember where it was so you can reset it again if it doesn't help. It's a sunergistic relationship... and it can be complicated the closer you get. If espresso was easy, Starbucks could do it..  ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 6:47am

I personally wouldn't start with the brew pressure but if you want to here is a guide on how to with your machine. Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com) I am used to using a higher brew pressure with my Oscar but that is just the nature of my machine and I do my best to control it with my grind. All my shots start slow then pick up some momentum as the shot gets to the end but not gushing or blonding early which could be channeling or poor distribution.

I have drastic grind changes for certain beans on the Vario, as much as 6-8 micro clicks depending on the beans for the same dosed shot, this will result in a big difference in how much time is used on the timer when beans are switched. In general I will grind finer as beans age, this means even with the same bean but a fresher roast the grind will change and so will the time used to get the same dose. I did not use a scale for about a year and just eye balled my dose, the Vario makes this some what consistent when using the timer with the same bean but is a pain to dial in new beans with out a bunch of trial and error. With a scale (now I have the Vario-W) I have a much easier time dialing in as well as making small changes to the dose to bring out different tastes and effecting shot time with out changing grind setting.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 11:40am

I can't help here yet but wanted to say you're not alone. Rocky / Gaggia / local fresh beans = similar things for me as far as a slow steady pour at first that starts getting much, much faster about halfway through. I'll play w/ the grind settings & tamp force and see how that affects things. Watching my pour time and not letting it run too long has still given me tasty shots so I haven't worried too much about it. Definitely curious as to the "why" of this.

If you figure this out please post back about it!
jneff28

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 4:58am

seems like one click coarser has helped a bit. Also think my tamp pressure got a little strong. seems like the pour is a little more even all the way through. Its amazing how switching to a different coffee can be so different. I was skeptical to change from the local roast but almost enjoy in a weird kind of way the new found learning curve
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 7:33am

Funny, after reading this and thinking about it I tried a few things, and what worked for me was to go a click finer (opposite of you) with less tamping and now I have an even flow throughout the pour.

Just have to experiment I guess.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 7:48am

jneff28 Said:

Using a vario and silvano machine with Black cat 5 days off roast ...

Posted May 15, 2012 link

Five days after roasting seems a bit early to me. Most beans need 7 to 10 days rest.

You haven't mentioned how those shots taste.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:21am

With the wide steps of the Rocky, you will sometimes find you need to be between grind settings.  This is overcome by altering dose, rather than tamp pressure.   This was one of the reasons I am so happy with the stepless Macap grinders that I upgraded to from the Rocky.  It's something to consider when the desire to get better equipment strikes you.  However, I think with Randy's ...guide to better espresso...article, you've got what you need to dial in your shots using whatever fresh beans you want and your current equipment.  It just sometimes takes a little more work with Rocky.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extraction...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279603004456)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+