Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
steaming milk
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > steaming milk  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 9:16am
Subject: Re: steaming milk

I agree with all you've said.  I don't see anything wrong with using a thermometer.  However, I believe you can get exceptional results consistently without one.  I outlined the entire procedure for the OP, since he's using "hands-on" technique and he is not experienced in the stages of frothing, and therefore, probably should learn what is going on in the pitcher before moving on to the level of frothing that you use.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 9:36am

I'm sorry if I sounded a little gruff, it was not intended that way and after re reading my post, it can be taken that way.

The Sylvia really does not have enough power to steam the way I do, I was just making a comment, I guess it really isn't much help with the issue at hand..... never mind my whole post above! LOL!!!!!

To the point of the glob of foam in the middle of the pitcher, you are likely stretching too much and not getting a strong enough whirlpool to mix it in. Stretch less and work on the strong whirlpool.

With the weaker steaming power of the Sylvia, some find it helpful to cool the pitcher as well as using ice cold milk to give a little more time in the stretch phase without the temp going out of range. For a cap, you need to stretch more so you are right in the middle. Keep it up, you will get it!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jneff28

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Maestro, Rocky
Drip: Press, quisinart
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 11:34am

Better results. Tried the soapy water deal and found that my issue was where i had the steam wand caused so much turbulance i could not get a consistent hole surf without milk rolling everywhere. So now i found a good place and getting much better results
jneff28

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Maestro, Rocky
Drip: Press, quisinart
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 11:38am

emradguy Said:

Hey Josh,

You're steaming way too long, and not only likely scalding the milk, but ruining the microfoam you may already have made.  hands-on technique is only a method of replacing the thermometer inside the pitcher with your own sense of heat, and allowing you to approximate the cues by feel.

1) you haven't started frothing yet...cold milk in pitcher feels very cold on the outside and is around 35-40 degrees (depending on your refrigerator - unless you put your pitchers in the freezer).

2) you're stretching the milk...the milk is swirling in a vortex or roll in the pitcher and there's a whisper-like noise as you introduce air, but the pitcher still feels cold.

3) you're at the end of the stretch phase...skin temp is about 85 degrees (body core temp 98.6 - textbook).  Milk stretch ends at about 100 degrees (about when you begin to feel the pitcher is warm).  Most people say to stop stretching when the pitcher no longer feels cold and does not yet feel warm (that puts it at about skin temp - but remember there's a lag between heat transfer from the milk across the pitcher wall to your hand)

4) you're in the texturing phase...the vortex or roll is continuing, but you're no longer allowing air to be introduced to the milk.  The steam tip is either submerged, or it's held steady (no more pitcher lowering) just under the surface (my preferred method).  Either position needs to be accompanied by continued vortex/roll without additional introduction of air.

5) you're done and the steam needs to be shut off...the pitcher wall feels hot, possibly even too hot to hold (depends on temp wall thickness and rate of lag across it, and your skin's sensitivity to heat).  You should be around 135-145 degrees at this point. The end point will depend on how hot you like your drink and how long it's going to sit before you drink it (ie., go hotter for to-go cups).  Also, the milk temp will rise another 5-10 degrees after you stop steaming.  

If you want to train your mind/hand to feel each temp cue, you can do both hands-on and thermometer in pitcher for a while.

re, pitcher size:  the larger one may give you more waste, but it will also give you more time to interact with the milk.

Posted May 30, 2012 link

I wondered. That would explain that globulous glob that plops on out?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 2:40pm

glad to hear your progress, Josh.  I used to have a Silvia v1 and had done the articulating wand upgrade.  It's really capable of making great foam, but as Wayne says, it's not too powerful and you really need to get the technique down to where you're able to have a continuous vortex.  My approximate wand angles were, rotated about 30 degrees off to the side and about 30 degrees off perpendicular (talking about the lowest straight segment here).  My pitcher was not tilted front or back, but the bottom rocked out to my right about 30 degrees.  I kept the wand tip about 1 cm towards the center from the side wall (using a radius line from about 7 o'clock position.  It game me a great vortex.

lol at Wayne sounding gruff...no worries, Man, and no offense taken! (as always, you made good points)  ;-)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > steaming milk  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246906042099)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+