Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
how many machines - big secret?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how many...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
charly9

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 4:47am
Subject: how many machines - big secret?

hi, i'm new to this forum, but i'm an espresso guy for 10 yrs.
I lived in Barcelona for a while, and been to Italy at least twice a year. as of now i live in the US, NJ, possibly for a long time.
I have friends who own cafes, i now people in the roasters and espresso machines industry, and everywhere i go i look for a disinct cup of espresso (no latte and stuff).
I've learned alot about coffee beans, espresso and roasting machines... and i always learn.
funny thing is, no matter where i was, no one could ever tell me how big this industry is.
I mean, people know all about market trends, they tell you about growing cafes and espresso trends in Eastern Europe, China and other places.
but, when i asked a simple question: how many professional espresso machines (not for home use, i don't care for) are sold every year?  -  i got answers starting at 150,000 up to 500,000 a year.
you know the thing with a simple question that no one can give you even a reasonable answer for it? well, don't know why, but it kinda bugs me.
I googled, binged and searched... nada.
what's the big deal? is it some kind of freemasons secret?
does anybody really know the answer?
thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 5:28am
Subject: Re: how many machines - big secret?

It sounds like a good project for you. Contact EVERY manufacturer in the world and ask them how many they sold last year then add them all up and you will have your answer.

I think the reason there is no easy answer is because no one has done that specific work. Each company can and does keep track of sales but I do not think the need to know the total world wide number in specific is all that mandatory to any manufacturer. They care about market share and relative placement in the market also they balance their production ability to needs and in a world wide recession, if you are still in business from year to year you are doing fairly well.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
charly9

Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 7:16am

asking manufacturers? tried it. I've been to SIC in Milano, asked most of the big companies. nada.
maybe a professionals or academics will get a different answer. me? i'm just a guy, they ignore.

like I said, it's just that when I get into something (ie, espresso), I like to know the more  I can about it. so, I know useless stuff about coffee, even tough I do not roast or buy beans. that's why i asked about the machines.
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Fri Jun 8, 2012, 8:24am

It's a big project, and unless the manufacturers have a motivation to cooperate, the data collection is a nightmare. With espresso, there are dozens - or hundreds - of manufacturers spread throughout the globe, and the types of machines start at little stovetop boilers all the way to huge commercial systems. The segmentation itself is a challenge since the market is shattered along so many levels and factors (sorting out home versus commercial is tough enough, but just think of the other distinctions).

One rule of marketing is that you can always brag about having the #1 market share - so long as you define your market tightly enough. So someone's going to trumpet being the market leader on every web page and advertisement, and claim proof from your data, with (maybe) a tiny asterisk that adds that they're really just #1 in North America espresso machines using single boilers costing between $500 and $$749 that provide steaming capabilities and an option to be plumbed in and are compatible with pods ... and on they go.

Part of the problem is that counting market share by unit volume (or probably by revenue too) would punish the old line cafe makers by making them look insignificant compared to the mass markets for Breville, Jura and so forth, while the huge players normally hold their data confidential for competitive reasons - so motivated cooperation to provide data is tough to come by.
greattemper
greattemper

Espresso: Andreja Premium by quickmill
Grinder: Lelit
Roaster: Popcorn
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 10:49pm

Click Here (www.ibisworld.com)
the above is for the US market but if you Google the term:
"coffee machines market analysis" you will find tones of info.
greattemper
greattemper

Espresso: Andreja Premium by quickmill
Grinder: Lelit
Roaster: Popcorn
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 10:56pm

And, here is another one for the European market - a comprehensive one...

Click Here (www.ecocoffeemachine.org)
charly9

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 12:55pm

thank you guys.
greattemper, i know the EU report (read all 10 parts), but it refers to home appliances. also, the US market report seems strange (at first sight) - only 17 businesses? guess the revenue number refers to home&pro machines. also, it costs around 1k.
like I said, just wanted to know something about professional espresso machines. I'm not from the industry, don't work in marketing of something like that.
guess i'll just give it up.
still, don't get it - what's the big deal?
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 1:14pm

charly9 Said:

still, don't get it - what's the big deal?

Posted June 11, 2012 link

The big deal was explained above: obtaining the data from the various sources.  Data doesn't just compile itself.
charly9

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 2:54pm

sorry if ioffended you guys. maybe you misunderstood.
when said "what's the big deal" I wasnt talking about you.
what meant was: what's the big deal, what's the big secret that even industry people don't know the answer.
like said, the answers (from those who were willing to take a guess or estimate) differ significantly from 150k to 500k a year.
ofcourse data and market analysis and trends etc are all gathered and published by professional people/companies.
just never thought of espresso machines as a top secret market - these facts/estimations do not exist (at least not accessible to common guys like me).

again, thanks and enjoy your coffee.
Stuart

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 4:55pm

I'm not an espresso or coffee professional, but I do work for a privately-held company and I know we don't tell the public our sales figures (or our profit figures).

Plus, I'm a bit surprised to see "17" domestic manufacturers of commercial coffee machines. I hear more like "two" or "four" when we ask about US manufacturers of machines. (Lessee; there's Slayer, and Synesso, and Salvatore, and . . . ?)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > how many...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27845287323)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+