Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Technique question - fine grind, light tamp vs. coarser grind 30 lb tamp
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Technique...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
naimnut

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun Aeromaster
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 10:44am
Subject: Technique question - fine grind, light tamp vs. coarser grind 30 lb tamp

Hi All,

I've been meaning to post this question for a while.

I'm clear about the standard guideline of tamping at 30lbs of pressure. However, my son has shown me how to pull great shots with the grind setting on his vario (which is also what I use) set such that, with fresh beans, only a very light tamp is required to get a 30 second shot. I'm dosing about 14 grams into a double basket and, after a wdt to level and distribute I often only do a tamp to level the grounds. As the beans get a little older I might move up to light thumb pressure or eventually pretty strong thumb pressure.

This morning we were discussing this and he said he didn't think it mattered. As long as the shot is flowing right and the flavor is there then a fine grind/light tamp is just as good as a slightly coarser grind/30 lb tamp.

But I'm wondering if the difference in the particle size might lead to a difference in the flavors extracted, such that this current approach is altering the flavors a bit. Maybe there is a reason to alter the grind coarser and go to the 30 lb tamp.

BTW, with my old Rocky grinder or my Cunill I was virtually always using a 30 lb tamp. With the vario, though, this hasn't been necessary.

What do you all think?
 View Profile Link to this post
AndyPanda
AndyPanda
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Technique question - fine grind, light tamp vs. coarser grind 30 lb tamp

I have been reading a lot of posts on this and other sites.  There are several schools of thought - the common one that I read the most when I was first starting (and that I no longer buy into) is adjust your grind and tamp pressure to get the right shot volume in the right time. Usually recommending sticking with a specific dose based on the basket and shower screen clearance (the coin test was frequently given as a method of finding the right dose for your basket)  and then adjusting only the grind to get the pour right.

The (different) idea that has really been working for me has been to choose my grind setting based on the particular coffee and its flavor profile.  The idea being that each particular coffee has a grind that brings out the best.  Once you find the grind that highlights that coffee's best characteristics, then you adjust dose to get the shot volume (and if you are lucky enough to have pressure profiling, you can use that to control flow as well - which allows you to pull espresso shots with coffee that usually only works well as brew).

I don't think tamp pressure is all that important - I typically do around 30 lbs though .. but as long as I distribute evenly (and have a good grinder) I can do a very light tamp and not notice much difference in my shots.   Where .5 gram difference in dose will make a very noticable difference in the shot.

Lately I have been grinding finer and dosing lower and getting some flavors that are more appealing to me ... other coffees and I might grind more coarse and dose higher.  I may use a different basket that allows me to dose higher if I find I prefer the flavor with a coarser grind.

If you read some of Jim Schulman's posts - he has written quite a lot about how grind and dose affect the various flavor aspects so you can adjust grind/dose to try to bring out more caramels or to try and bring out more fruited notes etc.
AndyPanda
AndyPanda

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Various...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato,...
Vac Pot: vintage Corey
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: BreadMachine/HeatGun
Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012, 12:11pm
Subject: Re: Technique question - fine grind, light tamp vs. coarser grind 30 lb tamp

Here is an example of a post from Jim (from another site) that explains the concept:

The correct dose for a basket is the one which uses a grind setting which produces a properly extracted and good tasting shot from your machine. This grind setting is in the same range for all baskets and all espresso machines. The upshot is extremely simple: if the shot is too sour and/or bitter, grind finer and dose less; if it is too sweet and/or milquetoast, grind coarser and dose more.

If you think you ought to use the same dose in the same basket all the time; you will never make consistently good espresso. To make good espresso, you need to stay within the same range of grind settings for all machines and all baskets; and vary the dose to maintain that range.
Jim Schulman
http://coffeecuppers.com

takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 1:16pm

naimnut Said:

What do you all think?

Posted June 10, 2012 link

What's in the cup and your taste buds should decide.  Can you taste a difference?  What do you prefer?
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2012, 6:15am

I have also found, in my experiments, that tamp means very little. Each time I get a new type of bean to try, I get out a notepad and write down the settings I use - weight of beans, grind # on my Rocky, approx tamp pressure, and I also write down about how much coffee I get over how much time until it blonds and I cut it off. Also some notes if it tasted OK. It lets me go back and remember where to start if I get that particular bean again.

Anyhow that said - recording info - I find that it's by far dependent on the grind setting and I might say the tamp only fine tunes that. I wouldn't have thought it before I tried it, but my results say tamp does very little. I typically find 2 or 3 grind settings that work and learned to vary the amount of beans to get my results where I wanted them, and keep tamp consistent at something I'd call "light".

I had a coffee I brought home after visiting family in TX that I could get away without tamping it at all, and got great shots with it.

As suggested, give it a try, you may get different results. I predict you'll find 2 similar but slightly different tastes with your different methods, choose based on what you like best. You may even find that you each prefer something different.
mr_pedro

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 1:48am

The water pressure when brewing presses down on the coffee much harder than you will ever tamp. Tamping therefore is irrelavant within a very large bandwith. So you can do a light or a hard tamp and it makes no difference to the outcome as long as the coffee is level.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Technique...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271118879318)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+