Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Newby looking for input (Vibiemme DB version 3 or Rocket 58)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Newby looking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
thanhjenn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 4:40pm
Subject: Newby looking for input (Vibiemme DB version 3 or Rocket 58)

I'm totally new this home brewing thing.  My wife and i love our lattes from second cup in canada.  We would like to buy a set up but there are so much info out there.  We have narrowed it down to a Vibiemme domobar electronic double boiler with pid and a Mazzer mini electronic type a or b.  i have read reviews on the vibiemme and they are all very good.  I also like the look of them very much.  As for the mazzer,  from the forums i have read they seem to be a good choice.  We would like to spend a little more so that we dont want to have to upgrade latter, and to also do it right the 1st time.  If you have other suggestions please do so.  If you think another vibiemme  or grinder is a better choice.  Please suggest.  Thank you for reading and providing your input.

Thanh

July 7/12

After a bit more of looking around and talking to Slawek at idrinkcoffee in canada he suggest the Rocket r58.  They are both approximately the same price.  As per specs, fairly similar only one big difference I noticed is the PID.  The Vibiemme is on the machine and the Rocket on attached to the side.  To me, this is not really a big deal.  What do you think about the 2 machine besides the PID?  Thanks for the input.
 View Profile Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 4:50pm
Subject: Re: Newby looking for input

Hello
Congrats for getting into one of the best areas in life! It will be one of the best things you ever do!
I am not a big pro on machine types but the bottom factor is you get what you pay for. I bought a Rancillio Sylvia and rocky for 1500

price for the has gone down I think

I am going to upgrade. Getting coffee right the first time is not easy but I bet you can hit the bulls eye!

Just read a lot about making coffee, ask lots of questions! Every machine is very diverse and how it pulls a shot is always different so what it really boils down to is trial and error! Just keep at it. Watch out for all the signs while making coffee.

Once you learn the fundementals you will pick up!
good luck!

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 5:09pm

The Vibiemme Double and the Mazzer Mini are great pieces of equipment, and if you end up with those, they're suited to last you a lifetime. I'm going to assume you've already decided between Lever, DB and HX, given your statement about reading here a lot, etc.

Are there others to consider...sure, but considering where you're starting, it's really a matter of preference with the machine.  People say they can taste a difference in espresso when using different grinders.  I've never been able to do side by side tasting using different high quality grinders, but I can certainly say, I notice a difference when changing class of grinders.

I think if you can afford it, most of the "guru's" here (no, I'm not one of them) would recommend you get a Super Jolly over the Mini...so that's certainly something to consider.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
thanhjenn

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 7:28pm

thank you for the input. why the supper over the mini?

I think if you can afford it, most of the "guru's" here (no, I'm not one of them) would recommend you get a Super Jolly over the Mini...so that's certainly something to consider.
mig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Espresso Giotto...
Grinder: Mazza Mini
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 9:29am

The gear you are considering is very similar to mine - an E61 / HX machine and a Mazzer grinder.  You might want to browse my thread which I started two weeks ago with the challenges I have encountered and lots of great tips from the people here.  Only two weeks in, I'm still trying to master the basics.
thanhjenn

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:36am

thank you for the link.  this will greatly be appreciated once I get going.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 1:18pm

That machine does deserves a better grinder than the mini. Bigger burrs are better, and conical burrs definitely have an edge overall. I have the Kony, but it is really not suited for home use by other than those comfortable making some mods and being somewhat finicky.

Take a look at this:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

And maybe check out the Compaq K-10 Fresh.

Yes, the grinder really is that important. I went from a Rocky to the Kony and the difference was dramatic right from the first.

If those are out of the question, try one of the upper-end a Baratza grinders.

But, for me, any grinder would have to be:
1 - stepless (I love the Mazzer adjustment design)  
2 - Conical
3 - And (for my "next" grinder if it ever happens) a straight-through bean path with near-zero retention.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JDHarding
JDHarding
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Pro, CBTL...
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX,...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Behmor, Fresh Roast
Posted Fri Jul 6, 2012, 5:45pm

Super Jolly is quite a big larger than the Mini, and has a larger burr set, which is why it's more liked over the Mini. I think the Jolly has a much larger hopper too. I used to own a rebadged Jolly and it was a great grinder. I've since moved onto an NS MDX, which I personally like more than the Jolly.

I also used to own a Macap M4, so if you ever thought about getting one, I'd suggest the Mazzer instead. I also own a Rancilio Rocky, and trust me when I say it too doesn't live up to the Mazzers. It's been downgraded to a drip-coffee grinder 'cause it never ground fine enough for espresso.

The Video Game Music Place - www.vgmplace.com
The Sonic Corner - www.soniccorner.com
JD Harding . org - www.jdharding.org
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Newby looking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308238983154)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+