Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Digital scale recommendation
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Digital scale...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: Digital scale recommendation

Netphilosopher Said:

I have a couple of American Weigh SC-2000 (2000g X 0.1g)

Posted August 20, 2012 link

+1

(or +2, as I have two of them as well?)

Anyway, I love those little scales. Thin enough that I can fit the under the portafilter with a capp cup on it, and the look of it fits right in with my machine. I've even had people assume that it came with the machine. Cleans up well after grounds and coffee get on it. And cheap enough that I won't cry if it dies.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 1:55pm

The American Weigh SC-2KG is useful because it has a large capacity, 0.1g precision, and it's fairly cheap. I am not sure what else to recommend if you want a precision scale to use for pourover and other high-capacity coffee tasks. I really dislike using it for weighing coffee and espresso shots because of its slow update time, especially when recognizing small changes in weight (e.g. topping up a bowl of beans, or trying to hit 300g of water rather than 302g).

For espresso, I much prefer the 550g MyWeigh Triton T2. The display update is by far the fastest I've seen out of all the low-cost pocket scales I've tried, and it is extremely sensitive. As a bonus, the shape fits much better on E-61 machines that don't have a lot of space in front of the three-way valve discharge chute. Unfortunately, the 550g capacity means it isn't much use for regular coffee brewing tasks, so I alternate between the Triton and SC-2KG for different coffee-related weighing duties.

Chris
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CN1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 8:35pm

Excellent--thanks for all the suggestions!
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 6:57am

I've got 3 of these: Click Here (www.ebay.com)

2 in use everyday & a spare just in case one of the others ever breaks. Paid $5.00-$7.50 including shipping which takes about 10 days from China. They are accurate & can be recalibrated if you have weights. Having paid $25-$30 for supposedly better quality scales in the past which ended up in the trash within a year or so these are the only scales I'll buy for my coffeebar.

John
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2012, 7:50am

I've got one of those exact Chinese scales. The buttons got funky after about six months and I have to tep it here and there to get it to turn on. Once it's on, it works okay, but it's a huge PITA. The Jennings scales have 20-year warrantees. The Ebay scale? Not so much.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2012, 3:53pm

One of mine is two years old & still going strong. The only time I've had button issues is when something got spilled on the scale. Opening it up & cleaning the button area fixed that.  

The comparable Jennings scale is the JS-1000v & it costs $38 + sh. I'd say you are paying dearly for that warranty!

John
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 3:50am
Subject: .

JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 5:32am

Netphilosopher Said:

Yah, that scale is basically a re-scaled and "detuned" version of the SM-501

Posted August 23, 2012 link

Except the scale I linked to is rated for 1000 grams & has all the features of the much more expensive scales.

John
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 6:04am
Subject: .

GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2012, 7:45am

JVBorella Said:

One of mine is two years old & still going strong. The only time I've had button issues is when something got spilled on the scale. Opening it up & cleaning the button area fixed that.  

The comparable Jennings scale is the JS-1000v & it costs $38 + sh. I'd say you are paying dearly for that warranty!

Posted August 22, 2012 link

Let's check back in in 20 years, okay? Then we can compare ongoing scale costs over that period. Until then, making assumptions about who's paying what for what is an exercise in futility.

Not that I've got anything in particular against inexpensive Chinese-made electronics - lord knows I have bought and own enough of it - but I'm familiar in a first-hand way with the kind of component shortcuts that get taken for the low-priced versions of things, as opposed to items strictly spec'd and manufactured under contract and supervision, as well as the type of QA that happens at the lower end of the manufacturing ladder. .
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Digital scale...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315923929214)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+