Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Espresso at a bare minimum, how to improve?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Espresso at a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
budget_brewer

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 1:51pm
Subject: Espresso at a bare minimum, how to improve?

I have been brewing "espresso" from vacuum sealed espresso ground coffee in a Breville Cafe Aroma machine for about two years. I make a drink I believe is called a macchiato, I steam an ounce or two of milk (usually skim) in a coffee mug, dump in two shots and go.

I don't drink a lot of coffee shop coffees. I'd rather have my drink than what they sell at Starbucks and it beats the hell out of the drip coffee I used to make.

But I want to change things up. Consistency with my setup is an issue, I never know what kind of steam I am going to get from the Breville's wand and some shots will have crema and others will be pretty flat. The puck left in the filter basket is always a wet mess.

So then, questions:

1) A new machine (was eyeing the Gaggia Classic) will certainly help some of the issues I am having with my Breville, then?

2) How much am I missing out buying the pre-ground stuff? I'd love to have a swell grinder and fresh whole beans everyday but the Spanish grocery next door has Cafe Bustelo and El Aguila espresso ground coffees that are so cheap and easily obtainable.

3) If I did purchase a grinder are whole beans from the grocery store going to be a big improvement over the stuff I've been brewing? What other kind of sources (shops, online) would I have to look into? Convenience is a big factor for me =)
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 2:57pm
Subject: Re: Espresso at a bare minimum, how to improve?

Be careful, that first step is a doozy!

1. Yes, a Gaggia Classic will be a step up from the Cafe Aroma. Not a huge step, but a start.

2. You're basically missing out on coffee almost entirely by buying pre-ground coffee from the bodega. I admit to keeping a brick or two of Bustelo around, just as an emergency coffee supply when natural disaster strikes, but that's mostly because it can't get any more stale than it already is. Plus its carbon content is high enough to filter water ;-) You'll need to start exploring the world of fresh roast, whole bean coffee. You don't say what part of New Jersey you're in, but if you're close to NYC, go into Manhattan and check out places like Joe Pro on W. 21st, the Stumptown location on 38th St. and Cafe Grumpy on W. 20th. Have some straight espresso shots and talk with the barista (go when it's not a rush time) about the fact that you're just starting to get serious about coffee.

3. Anything that doesn't have a "Roasted On:" date on it is not to be trusted. And that roasted on date had better be within the last two weeks if you want coffee fresh enough to make great espresso. There are many great online sources for coffee from leading roasters. Many of those roasters are sponsors here at CG. As far as a grinder goes, the best place to start, for my money at least, is with a good hand grinder that can handle espresso, or with a used commercial espresso grinder if you can't bear to spend a minute turning a crank. The quality of grind you'll get from a decent hand grinder easily rivals very expensive commercial grinders that are designed for shop use. They're just not as fast, but there is something satisfying in having put a little sweat equity into your coffee.

I'm sure others will be along to offer their advice. Enjoy your soon to be increasing coffee obsession.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2012, 3:51pm

Yes, your next step will be down the rabbit hole. +1 to what he said.  Start with Fresh beans and a good grinder.  Then you can look at better machines.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 6:49am

Two years of using pre-ground coffee is problematic for a number of reasons. You are now accustomed to that taste and may find that it will take some time to train your palate to like the taste of fresh, quality beans. pre-ground will taste bout the same regardless as to how you prep it for espresso. Whole beans that are fresh need more specific parameters for proper brewing.

First, beans from the supermarket are usually stale upon arrival, and there is no telling how long they sit there before they are sold. Rule of thumb: If the beans have a "Best if used by" date on them, don't by them. If they do not have a "roasted on" date, they are probably not worth buying. Coffee is best when it is no more than two or three weeks old from the time it was roasted. For espresso, most beans are well past their prime at 14 days.

Next, a decent grinder is probably going to be more expensive than you think. Knowing your budget is important.
Finally, what is your priority? Are you interested in the best coffee you can make or do you HAVE to make espresso?

Bottom line: A good grinder and quality, properly-roasted, fresh whole-bean coffee are a MUST.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
budget_brewer

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 10:29am

Thanks for the great replies!

Since posting this I did shop some grinders and narrowly lost an auction for a Pasquini Moka, blasted last second bidders! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/140831735650 )

There is a decent coffee shop down the street and I think they'd sell me fresh beans, agree with the freshness thing since stock like that at the supermarket (my nearest doesn't even sell whole beans) probably doesn't move quick.

As to the pre-ground, yeah I guess I am accustomed to the taste but I can absolutely tell the difference between yesterday's shot with the end of the last package and today's shot with a freshly opened bag, so I am looking forward to trying some really fresh stuff. Also, I can detect variances in consistency when I brew. The shots I made this morning were not so great but yesterday afternoon I made what I thought was a great, or much better, drink. Not entirely sure what the difference between the two pulls could have been but I definitely see (taste) that there is room to improve with both my technique and equipment.

Back to it, thanks again folks!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 10:52am

Check the Baratza website for refurb grinders (or call them). The Preciso for $325 new, or the Vario for $469 new are both good choices. For used, look for a Mazzer.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2012, 10:17am

budget_brewer Said:

So then, questions:

1) A new machine (was eyeing the Gaggia Classic) will certainly help some of the issues I am having with my Breville, then?

Posted August 26, 2012 link

Oh, hell yes.

budget_brewer Said:

2) How much am I missing out buying the pre-ground stuff?

You will never make great coffee using pre-ground stuff.  Period.

Babbie's Rule* of Fifteens:
-- Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
-- Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
-- Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.

Your choice.

budget_brewer Said:

3) If I did purchase a grinder are whole beans from the grocery store going to be a big improvement over the stuff I've been brewing? What other kind of sources (shops, online) would I have to look into? Convenience is a big factor for me =)

Look at the (in)famous List of Favorite Roasters

Cheers,
Jason

* OK, so there are very few hard-and-fast "rules" -- more like "rules-of-thumb."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 1:10pm

(nm)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Espresso at a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322201967239)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+