Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Steamed Milk vs Froth vs Foam vs Textured Milk etc.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Steamed Milk vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
AJM

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 12:10am
Subject: Steamed Milk vs Froth vs Foam vs Textured Milk etc.

I am very new to owning an espresso machine, and I am learning how to "steam" milk. My first attempts resulted in hot milk that was still very watery. I have now progressed to the point where the milk volume increases, and I have about 2/3 section of hot milk and 1/3 section of "micro foam" which appears very much like meringue. I have watched many videos on steaming milk for cappuccino or latte drinks, and they all seem to have slightly different results. Some appear to be very similar to what I am achieving (thick and thin layers) and others seem to have a thick pourable result that seems uniform. Many of the videos I have watched show a cappuccino being made with espresso, thin hot milk, then a spoon of foam on the top. This I can do with good results. Other videos show a cappuccino being made with espresso and a thick creamy steamed milk that pours in a way that they can draw "art" on the surface of the drink. It looks more like what I would think a latte would look like.

I guess my question is, are there different ways to steam the milk for different drinks, and what is the difference between all the different descriptions (steamed vs frothed vs foamed vs textured etc), and are some "correct" and some "wrong"?
Also, is one of my cappuccino descriptions above more correct, or are they both equally proper ways to make it?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 2:16am
Subject: Re: Steamed Milk vs Froth vs Foam vs Textured Milk etc.

Steamed, frothed, foamed, and textured milk are IMHO basically synonymous. When you do it right, you get the kind of microfoam required for pouring latte art. It should neither be thin nor have the consistency of rubber foam, the kind you sometimes get at coffee shops. It takes some practicing until you get it right without the milk getting too hot.

A traditional cappuccino is made of a single shot espresso (25 ml) and around 125 ml frothed milk. A traditional caffè latte on the other hand is made of a double shot (50 ml) and 200 ml hot milk (not necessarily topped with frothed milk).

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
AJM

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 9:34am

Well, I am a bit confused by your response to my question. Is the hot milk you described for making a traditional latte the same as steamed milk with microfoam for a cappuccino, or is it just hot milk (thin with no foam)? If I properly steam the milk, should my result be uniform or should there be two layers, a thinner layer at the bottom and a thicker layer at the top?
I apologize for being so specific, but I really want to know what my end result should look like if I properly steam the milk. Right now I am afraid I am getting the "rubber foam" that you described. I want to be able to do the best job at steaming the milk and that will only happen if I know what the end result should look like.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 10:14am

For a traditional latte you simply heat up milk like in a pot. No frothing involved whatsoever.

Have you read this: click here?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 5:09pm

Microfoam is what you are going for, call it what you like. Visually it looks like white latex paint and when done properly will have no visually discernible bubbles. it has viscosity, but when spooned it flows like thick liquid, and will not make spoonable tufts or peaks. The meringue look is not what you are going for. For a good guide to get started, try this video:
http://vimeo.com/28227701

If you have difficulty, try a different brand of milk. Proper microfoam is a relationship of protein and fat, and both have to be of high quality. The feed the cows get as well as processing, storage and age of the milk all have an effect on the ability to stretch it.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AJM

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 6:28pm

NobbyR Said:

For a traditional latte you simply heat up milk like in a pot. No frothing involved whatsoever.

Have you read this: click here?

Posted September 9, 2012 link

I just read the frothing guide, and it was very good, thank you for that.
If I understand the article correctly, there should always be a small amount of microfoam in properly prepared milk. I have done some extra work with my milk steaming, and the results are much better now. The finished milk is much more uniform, and by swirling it in the pitcher, I can keep it that way so it no longer separates. Now I have another question. The end of the article talked about latte art. Is this a description of adding flair to any of the drinks that use textured milk, or is it only for lattes? For example, can you finish a cappuccino with latte art on top of it? I have been to cafés both in North America and in Europe where a cappuccino will have just foam or it will have latte art on it. I had always assumed the better cafés used latte art and the more common cafés only used foam. However, the cappuccinos with latte art always seem to be of a larger volume than the cappuccinos that only used foam. This tends to make me think that the foam only cappuccinos are more correct or more traditional. I know that I am probably being too picky, but this is the way that I learn.
AJM

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 6:37pm

frcn Said:

Microfoam is what you are going for, call it what you like. Visually it looks like white latex paint and when done properly will have no visually discernible bubbles. it has viscosity, but when spooned it flows like thick liquid, and will not make spoonable tufts or peaks. The meringue look is not what you are going for. For a good guide to get started, try this video:
http://vimeo.com/28227701

If you have difficulty, try a different brand of milk. Proper microfoam is a relationship of protein and fat, and both have to be of high quality. The feed the cows get as well as processing, storage and age of the milk all have an effect on the ability to stretch it.

I have bookmarked the link that you provided and I will certainly watch it when I have the time. I have been able to improve my steaming technique so that the result no longer looks like meringue. I still have a ways to go, but at least I'm getting closer with each attempt. My ultimate goal of course is to be able to produce latte art. I am trying to determine if using latte art on a cappuccino is acceptable. I have been to several cafés and ordered a cappuccino that had latte art on it whereas others do not do this. I guess I was under the impression that latte art is for latte drinks only. Thanks again for the link.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 10:52pm

Of course you can top your cappuccino with latte art, it's very common, but it's just a gimmick.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 11:30pm

a gimmick I try to do every day...

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AJM

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 2:58am

Coffeenoobie Said:

a gimmick I try to do every day...

Yes! I want to be able to present my drinks in the most appealing manner. Presentation of food is very important to the whole experience.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Steamed Milk vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350410938263)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+