Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
espresso coming out SOUR!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > espresso coming...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:10am
Subject: Re: espresso coming out SOUR!

i personally would want my extraction slower, at least for the beans that i use.  You may need to grind coarser.  Might be able to use the same setting.  I guess you'd have to figure that out.

btw check this out if you havent seen it.  I think it's a GREAT resource for taste and adjusting the grind.      
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 12:13am

jttran28 Said:

I'll try the tap technique. More coffee, coarser the grind?

How do I know when the pull is ready to be stopped? Color of the coffee coming out of the pf?

Posted October 18, 2012 link

as far as when i stop my extraction, i go by weight(a good 0.1g pocket scale is a great investment).  

I know that generally people recommend stopping when the shot begins to blonde.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 4:39am

Sorry i lost contact with the thread but my earlier post i mentioned for 12grams of ground coffee cut your shot at about 24 grams of yield. Getting away from the single basket is just the best idea for now then read his thread Click Here (www.home-barista.com) when you can and bookmark it. Here is another one to bookmark Click Here (www.home-barista.com) I only watched the first several seconds of the video and stopped it get some fresh beans or your going to spend time chasing your tail. There are so many factors to consider but sour makes me think low brew temp if that is indeed what your tasting.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 6:22am

jttran28 Said:

so what I do is i mound the basket with coffee and I level with my finger without putting any pressure while leveling it.  If I do put pressure, then it gets too close to the group head.  There has to be something wrong.  Why can't I fit more than 12g?  Im fairly certain this is the double basket I received.

Here is a video.  Please pardon the poor production.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-773Bb3e8U&feature=plcp
Beans a bit finer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmc-wndljO0

Posted October 17, 2012 link

Those shots came out fast, those beans your using are just not good, Peets has never been known for good coffee. Your grinding fine and getting gushers = stale. I use pre-infusion on the CC1 at 2 seconds and 4 second dwell, but even without preinfusion there's a good 4-5 seconds before drips start (except when I've had to grab stale Starbucks as an emergency if an order hadn't come in yet). But also still not sure how your confusing the baskets. You should have the blind basket for back flushing, then the "deeper" double basket, and the more "shallow" single basket... not sure how your confusing the 3 lol? Hard to tell from the video which basket it was. There's just no way your only getting 12G into the double, that wouldn't even tamp right most likely as the CC1 baskets slightly taper towards the bottom. I just ground 17.5G no problem into the double.

You need to use the double basket, at least 14g, I prefer 16-18, and fresh beans... you can get everything else right but without fresh roasted beans your going to keep getting gushers.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:22am

On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jttran28

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 7:57am

Here is a picture of three baskets, the blind, single and double.  That is the double I've been using where I can only fit 12g before I have to force more coffee into it.  

Heck, maybe my scale doesnt work hah!

jttran28: 3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 8:09am

Those are 58mm baskets and the double looks to hold enough that I would say it is definitely time for a new scale. For now, just grind, fill and level off without compressing the coffee, then tamp.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jttran28

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 8:31am

frcn Said:

Those are 58mm baskets and the double looks to hold enough that I would say it is definitely time for a new scale. For now, just grind, fill and level off without compressing the coffee, then tamp.

Posted October 18, 2012 link

Thats what I've been doing.  Im going to order fresh beans right now!
jttran28

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 3:19pm

frank828 Said:

try giving the portafilter a few little taps on the counter to settle the grinds.   This will give you more room in the basket.  For now, i will dose about 1/3 and then give it a few taps to somewhat level out, the other 1/3, tap again, the rest, and tap again.  I'll then nutate to even things out and then tamp.  I have no problem fitting 18+ grams into a standard double basket.  After the shot, if you see an indent of the the screen screw, dont sweat it as long as it tastes good.

i'd suggest getting more coffee into the basket and trying to use the same parameters.  Keep in mind, you're probably gonna need to adjust your grind with more coffee in the basket.

btw, i personally prefer the taste of a ristretto.  my shots run much longer and output far less.

That was the trick.  With tapping, I was able to get about 15.5g.  Thats plenty more than what I had before.  Now I'm going to be getting coffee from a local shop tonight so wish me luck.
jttran28

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 11:13pm

frank828 Said:

and definitely get yourself some better coffee.  you're in san jose!  no reason not to get excellent roasts up there.

Finally made it to a local roaster, keystone.  I now have coffee that is 1 day old.  Pulled the shot with about 16g and boy does it taste good.  I also cleaned out my grinder and brew head. All is well now and I can finally enjoy y espressos again. Thanks for all the pointers!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > espresso coming...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347869873047)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+