Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Buying an espresso machine for my husband, help!
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Buying an...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:22pm
Subject: Re: Buying an espresso machine for my husband, help!

All87 Said:

So after some more looking I like the Gaggia Classic and the Gaggia Baby Twin. They are both on sale for $349. Which would be the better choice?

Posted November 19, 2012 link

The Gaggia Classic, the Baby Twin tends to leak. Be sure to buy that grinder too! =D

Less water, more grounds.
 View Profile Link to this post
RaymondParker

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 12:45pm

calblacksmith Said:

This is why we advise against built in grinders, they are lower quality and when they break, you are stuck with them.

Usually what you state is, based on empiric experience, absolute correct. Even thought - when any grinder breaks, your stuck. Mounted inside or not.
I have the Breville "smart grinder" BCG800. Like it or not: The Breville grinder is indeed of decent quality. Fine teeth and solid build give a pretty uniform grain. Technically the same as in the BES900 is build in the BES840. Please check the grind quality out and correct me - I'm always happy to learn from folks who know more then me.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:05pm

In the U.S. breville is most often regarded as throw away consumer appliances. The BDB has a little better rep but there are still lots of design choices that they made which has a lot of us here still having doubts about breville build quality.

Down under, breville has a better rep and you might get a different opinion from them than you get in the US.

For the mostpart though breville is not a brand we advise anyone to buy.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:07pm

How did this thread turn into an argument about Breville?

When someone asks for opinions, they will likely get different ones, and that's a good thing. To sit here and argue with everyone who disagrees with you is, at the very least, annoying - if not inappropriate (that's for the moderators to decide).

Frankly, I feel separate components are more desireable. As Qualin pointed out, it's a lot easier to upgrade (without feeling like you wasted your money - in part because you can sell the old component. As Qualin also pointed out, there is a HUGE difference in the cup when one upgrades the grinder (and NOBODY can argue you'll get anywhere close to the quality of a Mazzer anything in an all-in-one machine). If some disagrees, so be it. This is my opinion - so please don't offend me by quoting it and restating your opinion. We already know your opinion...and so does the OP, if she hasn't been scared off by all the bickering!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:24pm

All87 Said:

So after some more looking I like the Gaggia Classic and the Gaggia Baby Twin. They are both on sale for $349. Which would be the better choice?

Get the Classic!  As noted the Twin leaks.  Check this repair site on the Twin.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaBabyClassandTwinBaby.html

The Baratza Preciso refurb may be the best grinder for the money ($239 and about about $10-15 shipping).  Check here on Thursdays when they update refurbs.  Of course if you want it all from the same place in a package there have been other good suggestions.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
RaymondParker

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:41pm

emradguy Said:

To sit here and argue with everyone who disagrees with you is, at the very least, annoying - if not inappropriate (that's for the moderators to decide).

With all due respect Sir! This is a interesting argument. Absolutely normal and standard - when the Central Committee of China is "discussing" and putting down any from official party-line deviating (opposing / contrasting) positions. Asking for executive "intervention" to "normalise" the turf.

Please have a good hard look at Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005: minute 12:22 if you don't have the time / nerve to watch the enormous enriching speech in full and then think again...
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 2:54pm

OP:
You will need a good tamper and probably a milk pitcher.  Good beans are important also.  I found that when you are learning you need a lot of beans of the same lot so you can really dial in the grind.  I would suggest you get 5 lbs of red bird espresso sent to your house for the same time he gets the machine. I know that sounds like excess but if you get just 12oz or a pound and it takes most of the beans to dial it in then you have to start over with another bean.  That is very frustrating when you are first learning.  I freeze mine in 1/4 lb lots in zip lock bags that have the vacuum pump feature.  If they quit making those I guess I will get a "seal a meal" type machine.  Some use jars but I feel that takes up too much room.  For him I would probably freeze only half or less of the 5 lbs when I got it. When you first start out you can go through a couple of pounds really fast figuring out what to do. Then pull out the next bag of beans a few hours before you will need it to come to room temp before opening.  I am betting in the first 2 weeks he will go through most of the 5 lbs.  
http://www.redbirdcoffee.com/redbirdespresso.html

To the argument:
I hate the disposable mind set of the manufacturers.  I hate the idea that my parents will have to toss away their iphone when the battery dies. I dislike combo machines.  I have almost always ended up tossing away a machine that was relatively new when I was forced by the market to get a combo. Because when one part broke and was unfixable or the cost more than a new machine. I can't tell you how many fax/scanner/printers I have owned.  It is almost impossible to get a plain scanner anymore.

I have tested a BDB and I had a really great shot of espresso from it and it was really easy to steam on.   I don't like the fact you to send it back to get it maintained and repaired- end of sentence.  Both my husband and I like gadgets and are computer techs,  but he did not like the idea of all the electronics in an espresso machine.  He said sagely "water and electronics is a bad idea".  I had not stopped to consider that but he is right.  He would be happier with me having a lever. I got an used "tank built" machine over a BDB.   Also, there have been a few used commercial machines I wanted but you can't get the electronics any more or they are very hard to get.  I would not be surprised if that is an issue in a few years on the BDB when they change the model.  My old car blinker doesn't work any more because I can't get a computer board for it any more.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
RaymondParker

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 3:07pm

Coffeenoobie - your absolutely right.
I have gone the same way with loads of coffee until I found the right setting.
With one exception I agree: Over time it gets harder and harder to get also non-computerised spare parts. I had to buy a new machine because for my trusted swiss Turmix TX10 the broken main switch is not anymore available and I could not find anyone reconstructing a replacement.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 3:29pm

But you can often get another type of switch to replace it if you are handy or have a machine shop make you one.  This is normally not true for a computer board.  Maybe that would cool for a small board maker to do, make replacement boards for out of date electronics on demand.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 6:51pm

WOW! Quite a discussion on here.

When I purchased my Rancilio Silvia, I was kind of blown away that it was the only appliance (Next to the fridge) I had in my kitchen without any electronics in it. It uses strictly electromechanical components.
Simple Bimetallic thermostats, three of them.. one for brewing, one for steaming and one to shut the machine down if the boiler gets too hot. All of the rest of the machine "logic" is done
with switches on the front. The Gaggia Classic is one of those kinds of machines. It is a somewhat direct competitor (At least IMHO) to the Rancilio Silvia.

I felt like I could use my Silvia through a lightening storm without fail. While the UPS's are chirping and sparks are flying out of other electronics, the Silvia would just hum (Relatively speaking) along.
I find it amazing to think that people are getting 20 years worth of use out of these machines. Usually upgradeitis strikes first and the user is on the path to a bigger, better machine! :-) I know I am! :-)

Now, it is unfortunate that it will take Breville probably something close to a decade before they can finally prove themselves and maybe start making the Italian espresso machine manufacturers think twice.
Time will certainly tell!

To the OP, Good luck with your purchase and I hope that your husband is very happy with your decision! :-)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Buying an...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330822944641)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+