Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Cold Brew Coffee
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Cold Brew Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MrPotter

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 4:41pm
Subject: Cold Brew Coffee

I just recently tried my first cup of cold brewed coffee and really loved it. I'm still trying to understand the process though...I understand that it just "steeps" at room temperature for approximately 12+ hours, but is hot temperature really the only factor that brings out the acidity of the beans in hot brewed coffee? That specific reaction is what I would like to learn more about.
 View Profile Link to this post
crlssctt

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 8:00pm
Subject: Re: Cold Brew Coffee

as a newbie myself i hope some of the more knowledgeable members chime in, but here's my $0.02

In my early coffee experience, I have come to realize now, that it is not acidity but bitterness, that I dislike so much, however, both of these "tastes" are part of the profile of the coffee, and when one is out of whack the resulting product is...off

A brewed cup of bitter coffee is due to an unbalance of these profiles, and incomplete extraction of the oils usually due to water that is not hot enough.

Caffeine has very low affinity to the plant matter (on a side note, this is why one is able to decaffeinate tea by up to 80% by throwing away the first bit of water one pours over the tea, without affecting the end product), caffeine is one of the first compounds to be extracted when brewing hot coffee, if however, the water is not hot enough, and the grounds do not have enough time to release their oils, giving you a cup that is off balance. Caffeine is so bitter, in fact, that in laboratory taste tests, is used as a standard for bitterness, but it's not the only reason one tastes bitter in a cup of coffee.

Enter cold brew.  The low temperature used prevents caffeine from being rapidly released, and the long exposure allows a lot more of the rounding out characters to leech into the water, and so you end up getting a more rounded up cup. Also, ultimately, hot water is kind of an aggressive approach to extract stuff, and may in fact change some of the chemicals that make up taste. Cold brew is just more gentle.

Personally, I have a love hate relationship with cold brew.  It uses entirely too much coffee, I don't have the patience to let coffee sit for however long, and the resulting cup generally fails in comparison to a properly brewed cup of coffee. However, some outstanding fruity beans really, really like cold brew.  If you like fruit in your coffee, it's definitely the way to go. But if you end up heating up cold brew coffee, a lot of the benefits of cold brew are then null.

When I want cold coffee I replace half the water by weight with ice in my chemex and proceed.

But of course, at the end of the day it's subjective.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:18pm

I do cold brew for camping and road trips.  Just need milk or hot water or hot chocolate and add the cold concentrate.  I like the smoothness in a cold milk drink.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 3:21pm

Mod note: Thread moved from Espresso: Questions and Answers to Coffee: Questions and Answers.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 8:28pm

Cold brew has a place to me - in the hot hot summer days if you're going to drink an iced coffee. Otherwise, I am not a fan of coffee toddy's and such, but they are the rage.

BTW - just cause it's cold brew doesn't mean it's not super high on the caffeine content.

Click Here (www.funraniumlabs.com)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
BlackPoodle
BlackPoodle
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:22am

I find that cold brewed coffee to me is kind of a pain to make, but I love drinking it in the summer.

I'm more of an instant gratification kind of guy, and the whole process of letting it steep for 12 hours (or someone recommended 24) just seems like it's more worthwhile for me to go out and buy it than actually make it myself....

Now in terms of acidity, I don't know what to tell you in that regard. To me Cold Brewed coffee, and hot brewed coffee taste much the same to me, but then many have complained I don't have a very sophisticated pallet.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2012, 11:48am

If you enjoy it, more power to you.
As with all things, tastes vary.
I have tried several different methods of cold brew, for me, even on 110F days, if I am drinking coffee, it is hot, I just don't like the taste of cold coffee. I wish I did, I like Iced Tea and hot tea so I can't really explain why cold coffee does not draw me in. If I let a nice cup of hot coffee cool to less than body temp, I can't drink it YMMV!!!!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Cold Brew Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248369216919)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+