Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Hacking a Miele Built-In Coffee Maker - CVA 4066 - To Make Better Coffee?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hacking a Miele...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
andrewsho

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 8:38am
Subject: Hacking a Miele Built-In Coffee Maker - CVA 4066 - To Make Better Coffee?

A relative splurged on a Miele Built-In system (CVA 4066 I think) for their new house.  I was surprised at how weak the coffee was for such a deluxe machine, even at the strongest settings.  Does anyone have any tips, links, etc on how to hack the machine to make stronger coffee?  Even though the house is great, I am not sure I can visit if the coffee does not meet even my low standards.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 8:58am
Subject: Re: Hacking a Miele Built-In Coffee Maker - CVA 4066 - To Make Better Coffee?

That's kind of petty to deny them the pleasure of your company just because they don't make good coffee.  But you could...

1) Ask your host to make it strong or offer to make it yourself.  My aunt always asks me if I want strong coffee.  If I'm with my mom, I'll just ask for regular strength so she can have some too.

or

2)  Add more coffee.

or

3) Grind finer.  They don't have a grinder?  Give them a housewarming gift.

and

4) Bring your own coffee beans & grinder for your visits.
andrewsho

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 1:25pm
Subject: Re: Hacking a Miele Built-In Coffee Maker - CVA 4066 - To Make Better Coffee?

Thanks for the help Wabbit!

As mentioned, the machine, even when it's set at its strongest, does not make strong coffee.  It's automated so simply adding more coffee doesn't do anything.  There may be something to grinding it finer, but then you would have to pre-grind the coffee which would defeat the purpose of having an automatic grinder in the machine.

I am thinking there must be a way to fake the machine out into adding less water or more coffee, but there is no clear way to do this.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 1:58pm

Bring your own coffee in a to go cup.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
cappuccinoboy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Milano pod, Milano fully...
Grinder: grind on demand
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:24am

wabbitt Said:

That's kind of petty to deny them the pleasure of your company just because they don't make good coffee.  But you could...

1) Ask your host to make it strong or offer to make it yourself.  My aunt always asks me if I want strong coffee.  If I'm with my mom, I'll just ask for regular strength so she can have some too.

or

2)  Add more coffee.

or

3) Grind finer.  They don't have a grinder?  Give them a housewarming gift.

and

4) Bring your own coffee beans & grinder for your visits.

Posted November 23, 2012 link

You really mean good trying to be helpfull, but you should be aware that Miele is a superauto Saeco in Miele body : only  your advice n. 3 applies (the machine has a built in grinder)  to try and better the cup, although it should be possible to slightly increase quantity of ground coffee in later Saecos...... , but coffeegeeks completely disregard superautos...except for convenience....
Ciao, Pietro
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 3:24pm

Try setting the grinder coarser.  The further the blades are apart, the more beans the superautomatic grinders will consume.
And, for the most part, clean the grinder.  The most common cause of "Weak Brew" in superautomatics is the grinder burrs are coated with and/or the grounds chute is restricted with hardening coffee-tar.  Does the user's manual for that machine offer a suggestion as to how thick the pucks should be in the used-grounds-tray when done?  If they're not as thick as they should be, the grinder isn't supplying enough coffee.  If it is just a matter of the machine's strongest setting being insignificantly weak, try brewing a double into a single shot glass and stopping the machine (Or just taking your glass away) after the first ounce and a half in in the glass.  Superautomatics will always try to supply the maximum amount of grounds to the brew unit when brewing a double. The first 1.5 ounces will be much stronger than the remainder of the dispensed coffee. Maybe swap glasses after your espresso is poured and let a weak-coffee lover enjoy the following dispensed murk.
Or take a decent disposable $200 espresso brewer and grinder pair with you when you visit and get them interested in better espresso.
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 3:32pm

I see, after exploring the interwebs further, that that machine has a very small brew-unit with a 1-scoop maximum. You won't get any shot with decent strength if it tries to serve more than 1.5 ounces of water through it per serving.  Brew Unit Filler Lid shown here with the warning label.
If you want a good double shot, brew two singles back to back into the same cup.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hacking a Miele...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27281498909)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+