Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Stop mess around grinder and coffee machine
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Stop mess around...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
katit

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 11:44am
Subject: Stop mess around grinder and coffee machine

I have my machine (Alex 2) and Grinder (Vario) since March. I finally plumbed my machine, we love coffee it makes all is well.

Problem.. We have white countertops. Vario when I grind into portafilter likes to spray some coffee around making nice mess around.
I also have to "knock" portafilter in other part of kitchen where butcher block is (to not scratch countertop). Also, after tamping there is coffee around on portafilter that I like to blow off.

Is there special mat or tips/tricks I can use to make whole process more organized and less messy?
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:43pm
Subject: Re: Stop mess around grinder and coffee machine

Espresso is a rather messy business, but yes there are a few of things you could try.  

Get a tamping mat (either wooden or rubber) to save the butcher's block and the mess and perhaps a knock box to empty the used grounds.  

Try wiping the coffee off the edge of the portafilter with your finger rather than blowing it.  

You might put your grinder on a tray (not white !) that at least won't show it up so much, and it's probably easier to clean than the countertop.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 12:57pm

1.Take a yogurt cup and make you a funnel from it to help contain your grinds.  Nail polish remover will clean off the letters. See photo of my set up on a vario w.

2.Get a tamping mat.

Coffeenoobie: basket.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 3:03pm

A mouse pad works well as a tamping mat, but you'll still get stray grounds on the counter and occasional drips when disengaging the portafilter. Note that these stray wits will be on the machines as well as the countertop (and maybe the floor).

The best thing to address this is a roll of paper towels and a bottle of Simple Green spray. Although bar towels may appear to be a more attractive option, The coffee stains will be a b**ch to get out, even with bleach.

Discipline yourself to stay on top of the mess. I typically do a quick clean after four or five shots, and definitely before I power off.

Don't forget to rinse the mouse pad on a daily basis.

JB
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:32am

Grounds will get out but with the use of a tray or a towel under the grinder, they will stay kind of under control.
DO NOT KNOCK THE PF. All you are going to do is crack the puck and cause channeling. Also, don't worry about a few grounds on top of the puck, they will not hurt anything. I use a 1 inch paint brush to clean the PF into the knock box before locking.

Some crumbs of coffee are going to get away from you anyway so do your best then clean the counter after making your coffee,

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
katit

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:55am

calblacksmith Said:

DO NOT KNOCK THE PF. All you are going to do is crack the puck and cause channeling. Also, don't worry about a few grounds on top of the puck, they will not hurt anything. I use a 1 inch paint brush to clean the PF into the knock box before locking.

Posted November 24, 2012 link

I learned this trick from some video I watched. After tamping there is some grounds left inside basket on a walls (they get on machine). So, one knock after tamping get this stuff off. Then I tamp second time. I didn't notice any adverse effect on shot I get if I do tamping twice.

Already ordered mat from amazon. It is 13x10, should be about right to put grinder on and it has rubber area for tamping. Will see.

I stay on top and keep counter clean. It's when I have party at home and people line up for coffee it starts to look like a real mess :)
katit

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:57am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Take a yogurt cup and make you a funnel from it to help contain your grinds.  Nail polish remover will clean off the letters. See photo of my set up on a vario w.

Posted November 23, 2012 link

Looking at your picture I can say that I'm in a better situation. I adjusted portafilter holder so it sits even closer to the top than plastic on your picture. I guess I get some grinds falling off from a portafilter itself.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:08am

katit Said:

I learned this trick from some video I watched. After tamping there is some grounds left inside basket on a walls (they get on machine). So, one knock after tamping get this stuff off. Then I tamp second time. I didn't notice any adverse effect on shot I get if I do tamping twice.

Well, if it works for you...but as Wayne pointed out, the risk is fracturing your puck and subsequent channeling.  If the grounds are really "stuck" as you say, to the inside walls of the pf basket (this would be from static electricity), they'll possibly get on the group gasket during the shot, but it's hard to imagine them getting anywhere else "on the machine".  The gasket is easily cleaned by either doing a loose fitting backflush for a couple of seconds or brushing it off.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
katit

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:26pm

emradguy Said:

If the grounds are really "stuck" as you say, to the inside walls of the pf basket (this would be from static electricity), they'll possibly get on the group gasket during the shot, but it's hard to imagine them getting anywhere else "on the machine".  The gasket is easily cleaned by either doing a loose fitting backflush for a couple of seconds or brushing it off.

Yes, this is what I mean, stuck to the group head. I'm too lazy to brush, but thanks a lot for other way to do it. I did just a flush and it didn't help with coffee stuck to the sides. Loose fit flush should do it, I didn't figure this out :)

Another question what do you do with portafilter? I use coffee that kind of greesy (I like it a lot) but I have to wipe portafilter after each shot since there is residue. Is that a step I can eliminate somehow?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:32pm

Ideally, you should be wiping out the portafilter basket between shots anyways, if not merely to dry it.  I rinse mine first by holding it under the group while I do a flush of the screen, then wipe it out with a bar towel before filling it for the next shot.

You should be doing a water backflush after each session (using the blind disc that came with your machine - that's the shallow basket that doesn't have any perforations).  If you bring that up to the group, and only minimally engage it, then do your backflush, the water will spill over the sides and wash the gasket.  - just wanted to clarify that to make sure we're on the same page.  After that I do 2 or 3 water only backflushes (until the water in the blank looks clean).  About once a week or so, I do a thorough detergent backflush.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Stop mess around...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349169969559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+