Espresso: Questions and Answers
Plumbing
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Plumbing  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Spankee1670

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:45am
Subject: Plumbing

Does it make a difference If you plump your machine or use water ressevior?
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:00am
Subject: Re: Plumbing

To the quality of the coffee?  Doesn't that depend upon the quality of your water?  Whether it's plumbed or a reservoir, you're going to want good quality water.  Assuming this to be the case, then the short answer is "no," in that it wouldn't matter in so far as the quality in the cup (which is, after all, where it counts).

OTOH, Thomas, I would never again opt for a machine at home that wasn't plumbed in.  It makes a HUGE differnce in terms of convenience.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 1:13pm

I think one of the major advantages of plumbing, short of never having to fill a reservoir is that you can put a water softener inline to the machine. This can help preserve the machine since scale really is a killer of machines.
The big disadvantage to running an in-line water softener is that you have to refill it with salt about once every quarter or so and run through a recharging procedure, which isn't that much of a big deal...

Since my espresso machine is right next to the sink in my kitchen, I see no reason not to plumb in, except for the cost of getting a plumber to add in a tap to the cold water line. (The dishwasher comes off of the hot water
line tap and that just isn't good for any espresso machine. Not to mention that drinking hot water from a hot water tank tastes really bleh...)

The only other thing I should mention.. Your espresso machine should have a rotary pump if you want to plumb-in. You can plumb in a machine with a vibe pump, but vibe pumps don't like water line pressure so you need
a pressure regulator. I worked it out, for the extra cost of a pressure regulator and what it would cost to modify a vibe pump machine for plumb in use, you might as well just get a rotary pump machine anyway. The cost
difference is minimal.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 12:58pm

it also depends on the machine (which you do not have listed nor mentioned in your post). E-61 lever machines, as an example, can make use of their pre-infusion ability when plumbed if they have a rotary pump. Mine is plumbed and the drip tray goes to a three gallon waste bottle. I, as well, will never willingly go back to a reservoir machine again.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Plumbing  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240583896637)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+