Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
MyPressi+Hario Slim problems...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > MyPressi+Hario...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Crim

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 8:17am
Subject: MyPressi+Hario Slim problems...

I'm wondering if anyone is getting any kind of successful results using a MyPressi+Hario Slim since they advertise them together on a big coffee website right?

I've tried modding one of my Slims and this is what happens.

At 5 clicks it sputters and gushes out in 10-15 seconds.

At 4 clicks it sputters a few seconds, then channels for maybe 10 seconds, then goes into a single stream for the last bit. After 25 seconds I will stop, and there will still be water in the reservoir (maybe a bit less than 1/2).

I'm really hoping that there may be some other solution that someone has come across. Youtube and Google are completely blocked where I live (China) and a lot of other sites give me problems, so I don't know what *should* be happening as it comes out (some sputtering, no sputtering, perfect stream, etc). This is what I do so far though

16-18grams of coffee (that I've roasted)
Grind
Tamp (plastic mypressi tamp, does getting a new one really matter?) until my scale says 13-15kg of pressure on my scale.
Preheat MyPressi twice
Pull the shot

Now first off, with 16-18 grams of coffee I don't seem to fill the basket. It makes a slightly convex shape with center having a light indent as I sweep my palm over the basket. I thought I read it should be level with the top of the rim and then compressed... so am I not using enough coffee (the manual says 18-21g)??? I try to distribute the grinds before the tamp but who knows if I'm doing it right or not...
When I tamp, it feels like I'm pressing much harder than what it looks like when other people tamp on the few espresso videos available here. However I have yet to see one go naked (porta filter), so they might be doing something wrong as well.

I like the hario slim because I don't know when I'll get to the point where I'll want to leave this country. I just worry about it taking up room because I don't really think it'd be possible to sell it used here, and I already have a lot of stuff I've accumulated and have to worry about... which is why I don't just upgrade to a better grinder automatically (as much as I'd love to). Not to mention it won't be in my budget for a while to get a new grinder (without setting me back a bit).

Are there any kinds of sieves to sift coffee grinds? With so much talk about getting the perfect grinder, I'm really surprised some people don't just sift their coffees to get the grind size as consistent as I imagine possible with current technology. Might waste some coffee but still kind of curious if there's a market for such a thing.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but what would be good to use as a control group with regards to pre-ground espresso coffee I can buy. And since I can't get a fine enough grind with the normal basket, would I want to use that coarse basket? I'm not really sure how I would use it actually.

The Baratza Encore is actually available here and is priced reasonably... should I just buy it?
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:44pm
Subject: Re: MyPressi+Hario Slim problems...

Crim,

I use the Mypressi Twist with the Kyocera CM-45 CF grinder and I agree that the settings can be tricky, going from too fast (gusher) to nearly choked with a single click.  I usually tend toward the gusher and sometimes pull the lever twice if I don't get a good extraction the first time.  I recommend looking into mods for your grinder maybe with two regular nuts to make it more like a stepless grinder.

I made my own coffee sifter for brewed coffee, I use the Hario Slim for brewed coffee at work and I use a nylon paint sieve and two canning jars with the bands taped together (see picture).  This works for brewed coffee but you WANT the fines for espresso to control the flow, what you really need is not to sift the fines but to get a finer adjustment step and better consistency of grinds.

I wouldn't recommend the Encore for espresso, I'd look at a Preciso minimum or a OE Lido or Pharos hand grinder.  The Porlex may be an upgrade as well from the Slim, but probably not as much as a Lido.

My doses did not come near the rim of the filter basket with the Twist, but the dispersion screen seemed to fit down inside the basket if I remember correctly and it didn't seem to matter.  I'd use 18 - 22 gram doses and I did pick up a 53 mm metal tamper, but not an expensive one.

yakster: Sifter.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Crim

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 8:24pm

When you say gusher, how fast is the pour time?

I can see how using a nut would help especially if I'm not going to change the setting often.

Could you tell me why you wouldn't recommend the Encore? It seemed to have gotten a pretty good review as a entry level espresso grinder from Prima and a few other topics I've seen (mainly just a factory calibration issue).

The difference between an Encore and a Preciso is pretty steep. Also the Orphan EQ would need to be ordered internationally from the looks of it. I don't really do french presses and when I do I guess I don't mind a bit of sludge as long as I drink it quickly. I pretty much do Vacpots, AeroPress, and Moka Pots at home. I could go spend 130 right now but I wouldn't be able to spend much more.

And is sputtering normal with a mypressi regardless of the grinder/technique?
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 3:13pm

Regarding the Encore, I'm just not sure if it has a fine enough adjustment for espresso.  When I first read your message and replied, I though you were referring to the Maestro, not the Encore and I don't have any experience with the Encore to really be able to judge if it would work well or not.  Maybe someone else can chime in or, failing that, you should be able to find reviews for the Encore to go by.  I haven't yet seen the Prima review of the Encore grinder.

I'm not sure how fast the pour time is with the gushers, but it's too fast for good crema.  I like the mouthfeel of good crema so I error on the side of grinding a bit too fine rather than having too fast a flow.

As for sputtering, I normally don't see sputtering unless and until all the water has been pushed through the coffee and there's still pressure from the cartridge.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Crim

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:52am

Hmmm just a little worried because some people have written that the Preciso failed on them pretty easily and as I'm in China, seems like it'll cause me a huge hassle if that's what ends up happening.... though I'm keeping that option in mind at the moment. I think part of the draw with the encore is it can be used as a cheap aero/vac grinder in the event I ever decide to get a full Espresso set up, where as a Preciso might seem "wasted" if it doesn't perform much better than the Encore at Aero, Vac, pour over,french etc (actually it seems hard to really much up those settings with any half decent grinder).

Can anyone else share some feedback on the MyPressi? Any success stories with the Encore?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > MyPressi+Hario...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264339208603)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+