Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
I prefer my 15$ moka pot to my 400$ espresso machine (?)
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I prefer my 15$...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 10:20am
Subject: Re: I prefer my 15$ moka pot to my 400$ espresso machine (?)

I'd suggest a step back and a simpler approach of adjusting to taste of the coffee, Jim outlines a handy guide in adjusting espresso to taste.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
130psi
130psi
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Brazata Virtuoso Preciso;...
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:12am

I replaced my grinder for a different reason (w/ the same model, virtuoso preciso). Problem fixed. My naked shots are beautiful and much less harsh.  Thanks for your help.

-Brett

Making espresso is not rocket science. Rockets fail less often.
 View Profile Link to this post
frankthecrank

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 11:39am

130psi Said:

I've spent over a year developing my technique with decent equipment (at left). I am an experienced experimental scientist and I believe that I've varied every variable discussed in these forums: bean freshness and roast, grind size (extraction times ranging from 15-30 seconds), amount of beans, temperature surfing, tamping pressure, I even tried a range of water pressure by adjusting the OPV. Result: The crema looks good, sometimes with a nice tiger striping. It doesn't matter. It tastes OK, but a bit harsh, slightly burned, to me. When I casually make a moka pot I smell lovely perfume and it tastes great. I, in general, am a fairly sensitive taster. Is espresso just not my cup of Joe or is there something that I've failed to try? BTW, I ask b/c I feel guilty spending this much money only to discover this result.

Posted September 27, 2012 link

I sold my Gaggia Classic on Ebay this past year because I found that I could get a more consistent, good cup with my moka or Brikka. I never looked back. I would not recommend a machine for most people until and unless they have tried a moka pot first for a while. Once you get that down perfectly it may be enough for you and save you the frustration, work, and $$.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:15pm

frankthecrank Said:

I sold my Gaggia Classic on Ebay this past year because I found that I could get a more consistent, good cup with my moka or Brikka. I never looked back. I would not recommend a machine for most people until and unless they have tried a moka pot first for a while. Once you get that down perfectly it may be enough for you and save you the frustration, work, and $$.

Posted December 6, 2012 link

Interesting, to say the least!  Well, as you stated, that was one person's opinion.

My opinion is very different. I don't see the logic in that recommendation.  The process of the human side is totally different in these two brewing methods, and the result in the cup is very different too (IMO), especially if one likes milk-based espresso drinks.  I think if someone has tried great espresso from an excellent professional cafe, likes it, and is determined to learn how to do it at home, I would recommend they jump right in with both feet.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 8:29am

Danger! Danger! Warning, Will Robinson . . . Thread Drift Approaching!

I cannot for the life of me see the beverage produced from a moka pot and that produced from a true espresso machine as similar, let alone interchangeable . . . .

Now, I do understand people (primarily Italians) having moka pots in their homes.  But it's the same (IMHO) as finding some form of automatic drip (Mr. Coffee, Cuisinart, Breville, GE) in a vast majority of American homes.  But I've never had a cup from a moka pot that screamed "espresso" to me.  I mean, if you like it, that's fine . . . and if it's your preferred preparation for coffee, that's fine . . . but I don't see it as an "espresso substitute" any more than (no matter how good it might be) a cup of drip coffee would be.

Just my 2, no doubt worth far less; keep the change . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I prefer my 15$...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260838031769)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+