Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Critique My Espresso Pull
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Critique My...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MikeNH

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 7:16pm
Subject: Critique My Espresso Pull

Just put together a short video of my shot pulling process to get some feedback. For a long time I was pulling shots that looked great and came out nice and even but they tasted not so good, but tonight I finally pulled a shot that tasted fantastic - had my first wow moment tasting flavors that I never had before and really enjoyed it.

I followed the instructions on Intelligentsia's site about 18-19 grams per dose (I weighed it in at 18.5) and the shot ran for just about 27 seconds although it was uneven and probably a bit short on volume, although I need to double check to see what volume that line on the shot glass denotes. For temperature surfing I ran water through for about 4 seconds after the hissing/boiling noise went away - as I think that probably results in close to 200 degrees F from what I've seen on the web.

Not sure why the water is dripping down from the outside, it happens about 30% of the time. Is it something to be concerned about? All in all I'm happy with the shot, but would like any feedback positive or negative to help me learn how to get better! I've been pulling espresso for about a week now.

Click Here (www.youtube.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 9:18pm
Subject: Re: Critique My Espresso Pull

MikeNH Said:

For a long time I was pulling shots that looked great...I've been pulling espresso for about a week now.

Posted December 10, 2012 link

Yeah...um, a week isn't a long time in terms of pulling shots.

You can use several methods to see how much your shot glasses hold (up to the lines) like fill one with water, then pour it in a 1/4 cup measuring cup and see how many it takes to fill it

I see a few problems with your shots on the video...even watching it on my iPhone

1) your basket seems overfilled and this is likely why coffee dribbles over the rim. Try using the "nickel test" to solve this.
2) your distribution is uneven - you have different volumes from each spout. There are several solutions (stockfleth's move, WDT, NSEW to name a few)

I have a couple other suggestions...

First, read article 12 "easy guide to better espresso at home" on www.espressomyespresso.com (right column 1/2 way down under "how to")
Second, get a bottomless pf handle so you can watch your extractions develop

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
MikeNH

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 9:50pm

Yeah...um, a week isn't a long time in terms of pulling shots.

Yeah.... Not sure why I wrote 'for a long time', I suppose I meant something closer to most of the shots I pulled in my extremely limited time doing it? :)

You can use several methods to see how much your shot glasses hold (up to the lines) like fill one with water, then pour it in a 1/4 cup measuring cup and see how many it takes to fill it

I see a few problems with your shots on the video...even watching it on my iPhone

1) your basket seems overfilled and this is likely why coffee dribbles over the rim try using the nickel test to solve this
2) your distribution is uneven - you have different volumes from each spout. There are several solutions (stockfleth's move, WDT, NSEW to name a few)

I have a couple suggestions. First read article 12 "easy guide to better espresso at home" on www.espressomyespresso.com (right column 1/2 way down under "how to")

Second, get a bottomless pf handle so you can watch your extractions develop

Thanks for the advice!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 6:52am

I think your doing good for a week hang in there. In addition points already made stop tapping the basket in the middle of the grind. If you want get a needle and give it stir in the middle ok but don't bang it. Get a 6" bullet level, take the PF out the machine place the level on the group and set the machine. Rinse and repeat with the level at different axis points being stupid fussy about it. I thought Randy had an article on leveling but maybe i was dreaming.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 7:22am

you also could use a "level app" on an iPhone (if you have an iPhone, that is)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 8:51am

emradguy Said:

you also could use a "level app" on an iPhone (if you have an iPhone, that is)

Posted December 11, 2012 link

Before i drank the kool-aid I was on Android and there were level apps back then. They had to be calibrated though, i nearly pulled my hair out once before i figured that out no wait,,,,,,, I am bald, anyway you get the idea. if you use an app make sure it is calibrated.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:05am

The crema color is quite light, most likely indicating the brew water temp is too low.
MikeNH

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:18pm

Frost Said:

The crema color is quite light, most likely indicating the brew water temp is too low.

Posted December 11, 2012 link

Next time I'll try to temperature surf a bit less - I usually do a 4 count after the water coming from the brew head stops hissing, maybe I'll try a 3 count and see if that helps.

I think your doing good for a week hang in there. In addition points already made stop tapping the basket in the middle of the grind. If you want get a needle and give it stir in the middle ok but don't bang it. Get a 6" bullet level, take the PF out the machine place the level on the group and set the machine. Rinse and repeat with the level at different axis points being stupid fussy about it. I thought Randy had an article on leveling but maybe i was dreaming.

I'll have to check that out too. I've seen some improvements using WDT already in the last few days so I'll have to see how I do going through the pound of locally roasted coffee I just picked up. I get really excited when I get a nice looking delicate little tail of espresso coming out for the first few seconds of the extraction but that shortly turns into a thicker and blonder flow about 12 seconds in. I'll start messing with the dose/grind/tamp and maybe post another video in a week or two.

Thanks again for all your help!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 6:22am

I think that you be that your actually grinding to course, stuffing the basket and  after the puck gets nicely saturated your problems begin. Try grinding finer putting less coffee by volume but actually more coffee by weight the basket and see what happens. Get a digital scale and use it when you dose at least while your cutting your chops.  

If the brew temp is too cold it WILL be sour. Judging temp by the color a of a youtube video likely taken with a cell phone and questionable lighting could be risky business.

Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:49am

Here's a brief tutorial at Sweet Maria's on diagnosing shot by crema appearance:

click here
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Critique My...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309075117111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+