Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Espresso powder
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Espresso powder  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 6:14pm
Subject: Re: Espresso powder

I had to laugh out loud when I realized something - which likely has NOTHING to do with the OP's topical: There IS espresso powder, and it is used in culinary pursuits for introducing the particular coffee decoction flavors to baking and or sauces.  Especially appreciated by Chocolatiers.  As I understand it,  that product it is a result of a vacuum drying with the essential vapors brought back as a flavor enhancer.

Also, calblacksmith - Wayne, Thank you for a real stop, lean in, and realization, this could truly be a new question.  I haven't been to Starbucks in so long, I'd forgotten one of the reasons I'd left off was specifically to do with the fact my local shop had installed the Super Autos and people were no longer custom crafting the product.  It's been so long I'd forgotten what that would look like to new production staff... especially if they'd never seen it done any other way.

Thanks all!
-Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 6:55am

Chris,
You are correct, there is a powdered product called espresso powder, I went to culinary school for baking and know all about it. I simply replace the powdered stuff with real and adjust the liquid volume accordingly when baking but, yes, for most of the world there is an espresso powder.

I kind of skipped over it as ...... you need espresso or coffee before you can make the powder so I went to the bigger question.

Sadly, I think the OP only came here for the one question, a blowing off of steam so to speak and likely will not return, that is too bad, we have a lot to offer her should she decide to come, stay, talk and learn.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 8:01am

calblacksmith Said:

Sadly, I think the OP only came here for the one question, a blowing off of steam so to speak and likely will not return, that is too bad, we have a lot to offer her should she decide to come, stay, talk and learn.

Posted December 20, 2012 link

Agreed, but I'm still in shock that there is something called "a certified barista at Starbucks."

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 9:49am

alix3 Said:

Hello, everyone! I am new to this website. I am a certified barista at Starbucks, I've been working there about a year now. A (fairly rude) customer came in today and asked me for a large espresso, I was very nice and tried to figure out what exactly he wanted, first asking if he wanted a latte' (the part of our menu boards with the lattes is labeled "ESPRESSO" and this happens a lot) and he corrected me saying "No, a large espresso." I then asked if he wanted the shots in a large cup and he went on to ask me how we made our espresso. I told him and he asked if we had "real" espresso, I was unsure of what he meant so I said I wasn't sure and he asked me if I knew what "real" espresso was..Well I won't lie, I am still learning a few things and espresso beans are the only thing I know..So I told him no. He went on to tell me that "real" espresso is a powder, etc. So I was just wondering, is this true? Are espresso beans not "real" espresso?

Posted December 18, 2012 link

Maybe he wanted a doppio, which is a double shot of espresso.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:42am

Len,
back in the days I did go to that establishment, one of my co-workers was known by his local franchise to order a daily five shot doppio on the way to work. No one would have recognized that by "large espresso".  But then, I'm just an American country bumpkin and don't get out much these days...

edit/update:
Here's another option to the conversation, coffee crema: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
The downbeat is with a change in the grind and amount of charge - draw an extended volume of water through the puck to create a unique black coffee drink. The result being different than say an espresso charge + 8 oz of water, or an "americano."
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:26pm

MerleApAmber Said:

Len,
back in the days I did go to that establishment, one of my co-workers was known by his local franchise to order a daily five shot doppio on the way to work. No one would have recognized that by "large espresso".  But then, I'm just an American country bumpkin and don't get out much these days...

edit/update:
Here's another option to the conversation, coffee crema: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
The downbeat is with a change in the grind and amount of charge - draw an extended volume of water through the puck to create a unique black coffee drink. The result being different than say an espresso charge + 8 oz of water, or an "americano."

Posted December 20, 2012 link

A doppio by definition however is only 2 shots of espresso.  Was he ordering a total of 10 shots of espresso?  Or only 5 shots of espresso?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Espresso powder  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287605047226)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+